6pm kerfew for men

ZedLeg

Re: 6pm kerfew for men

Post by ZedLeg »

Can’t comment on that as being raised catholic I have hopeless internal bias against rangers fans :lol:
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:16 am However the police response was wholly inappropriate, going in mob handed only escalated the situation and the pr afterwards has been a disaster.
From what I understand there was a peaceful socially distanced vigil held earlier and the police left it well alone. They only intervened when they gathered crowds and started giving speeches from the band stand.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

TBH this is probably one of those situations where my general views are out of step with most others here.
An absolute unit
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:37 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:16 am However the police response was wholly inappropriate, going in mob handed only escalated the situation and the pr afterwards has been a disaster.
From what I understand there was a peaceful socially distanced vigil held earlier and the police left it well alone. They only intervened when they gathered crowds and started giving speeches from the band stand.
There might be some defence if the crowd was inciting violence to the police or something similarly egregious. But the Met should understand that that needs to be clearly be proven in a bodycam video or similar in this day and age or people are only going to assume the worst. The reputational harm done to the force is way worse than any supposed covid spike prevented by four arrests FFS.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I don’t really have a view on if what the Met did was right or not as they certainly could have made things worse.

A friend works in the Met as a regular policeman. His comment on why people are restrained by so many is if you don’t, then every other person involved kicks you in the face and stamps on you.

So having 5 people keep this woman down is certainly not just to restrain her, it’s to protect the other officers too.

It’s probably idiots pushing their luck, police over-reacting and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Once the peaceful part of it was done then people should have simply gone home, not used it as a platform to garner more attention.

Dave!
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Trying to catch up with what has been happening this week and its very hard to split the wheat from the chaff as a whole.

Just looking at Jenny Jones's twitter statement, I find it nonsensical that she wants to reduce discrimination by introducing another type of discrimination, based on her own feeling, without any fact to support her feelings nor how effective her proposed solution is, nor what the negatives could be, perhaps she trying to the next Katy Hopkins ?
IMHO this is the kind of ill informed statement that is more likely to incite more hate than create constructive discussion, at detriment to everyone.

Still trying to get my head around the who vigil stuff, might comment later...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:01 am
Jobbo wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:49 am Being out for a vigil was not breaking the law. The police know this; there was a court hearing beforehand. Link below to the only first hand report of the hearing that I’ve seen.
The doc in your link suggests you can have a vigil of six people doesn't it?

I don't know, I just don't think there is any need to gather like that. Maybe I'm wrong.
The judge held that the right to protest is not absolutely prohibited by the COVID regs. The Met’s position was that it could not go ahead at all. That is despite them accepting in the proceedings that a blanket ban would be unlawful; the judge didn’t need to decide that, it was accepted.

Whether or not there was a ‘need’ is not the factor here; there was a lawful way to protest and a right for people to do so.
GG.

Post by GG. »

But was what happened a lawful exercise of that right?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:58 am Yeah, a picture of 5 cops pinning a woman to the ground two days after another one was charged with kidnap and murder was never going to be a good look.

Even Priti Patel has criticised them.
Zed’s correct...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Can’t help but wonder if it’s a chicken and egg scenario. The officers ask people to leave, most do, then from what I can tell from video and pictures they do their usual riot police tactic of forming a tight shield of police around the remaining crowd - and whenever that happens you just end up with both sides bashing the shit out of each other.
I imagine if the police just stood back from a distance and watched then everything would have proceeded much more casually. Especially during covid surely the last thing you want is to form is a massive huddle of police and public getting into fist fights.
How about not having a sig at all?
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

I understand it started as "Vigil" but once people chanting and waving around 'ACAB’ signs (All Cops Are Bastards), it became a "protest".
Different rules for a protest.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
mik

Post by mik »

This was posted yesterday. Some claims that it is / isn’t the red headed lady who was arrested.... but it does show an example of the behaviour.

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:47 pm Can’t help but wonder if it’s a chicken and egg scenario. The officers ask people to leave, most do, then from what I can tell from video and pictures they do their usual riot police tactic of forming a tight shield of police around the remaining crowd - and whenever that happens you just end up with both sides bashing the shit out of each other.
I imagine if the police just stood back from a distance and watched then everything would have proceeded much more casually. Especially during covid surely the last thing you want is to form is a massive huddle of police and public getting into fist fights.
I have seen video and reports suggesting this is the case.

You can probably also find video and reports to suggest the Police were there to save them from the night and some subversives using the vigil as something more sinister took their chance to stick it to the man.

The fact that our dear overlords are shoving through the Policing Bill that severely limits our right to protest is eerily reminiscent of recent(ish) European history though.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Gavin wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:22 am The fact that our dear overlords are shoving through the Policing Bill that severely limits our right to protest is eerily reminiscent of recent(ish) European history though.
And the usual, the devoid of thinking are fucking lapping it up - because it's not something they care about being protested about.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Beany wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:04 am
Gavin wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:22 am The fact that our dear overlords are shoving through the Policing Bill that severely limits our right to protest is eerily reminiscent of recent(ish) European history though.
And the usual, the devoid of thinking are fucking lapping it up - because it's not something they care about being protested about.
Yup. The whole "I didn't protest when they came for,..."
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavin wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:09 am
Thoughts on the Hate Crime Bill that's been passed up there in the 4th Reich? ;)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Both are bad :lol:
An absolute unit
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:09 pm
Gavin wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:09 am

Thoughts on the Hate Crime Bill that's been passed up there in the 4th Reich? ;)
4th Reich? Ooookay.

Have not studied it at length but seems to have some pretty draconian and bullying BS in it, so in line with de Pfeffel and Patel's reputations.

FFS Even Theresa May says it goes too far.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

He's talking about the hate crime bill the SNP pushed through last week.

It's every bit as draconian as the English one, just in different ways.

I personally hate it because it's making me go on the same side as youtube cunts who only believe in freedom of speech because they want to say the N word :lol:
An absolute unit
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:37 pm He's talking about the hate crime bill the SNP pushed through last week.

It's every bit as draconian as the English one, just in different ways.

I personally hate it because it's making me go on the same side as youtube cunts who only believe in freedom of speech because they want to say the N word :lol:
Ah, that one passed me by, I shall go have a nose.