Bad name changes on Social Media

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Bad name changes on Social Media

Post by Jobbo »

I don't think Jonny Smith's channel name, The Late Brake Show, is all that good but I can see why he changed it - Car Pervert would inevitably turn off advertisers.

Drive Nation has changed its name, to The Intercooler. Which is similarly rubbish, perhaps a little worse. The reason given on their podcast was because they've trademarked The Intercooler but couldn't do so with Drive Nation; surely that just means they've wasted a lot of the effort of building the DN brand over the last few years.

Imagine if Evo had changed its name to 'The Side Skirt' after 30 issues... :lol:
Nathan

Re: Bad name changes on Social Media

Post by Nathan »

Yes, for a bunch of people immersed in car PR and journalism, you'd think they're launching a blog in 2005.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

So It takes hot stuff and makes it colder before being used.

I fear they are doing exactly that.

Dave!
scotta

Post by scotta »

I dont mind the Johnny smith one - its infinitely better than carperv. The drivenation one is wank.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

scotta wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:48 pm The drivenation one is wank.
Agreed. There's got to be a bigger story behind it surely as it's so awful :?
Barry

Post by Barry »

scotta wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:48 pm I dont mind the Johnny smith one - its infinitely better than carperv. The drivenation one is wank.
This. And hardly an obvious choice either. Do they only feature turbo cars?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I checked Instagram and it seems there is a Polish car page claiming to be DriveNation Magazyn which uses the url: instagram.com/drivenation and says 'since 2015'.

There's also '/drivenationuk', for a company called Drive Nation Limited which was incorporated in April 2018.

I can't be sure but it looks like the url used by Prosser and Frankel was '/drivenation_' - the underscore should have rung alarm bells when they started, surely? :lol: I've checked back and DN launched on Instagram on 16 July 2018.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Maybe they should have resurrected drivers republic :lol:
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Well I thought Drive Nation was a crap name too but I just got used to it after a while. I expect I'll get used to The Intercooler after a while as well.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

scotta wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:48 pm I dont mind the Johnny smith one - its infinitely better than carperv. The drivenation one is wank.
What he said!!
tim

Post by tim »

I thought The Late Brake Show was a really good name, but frankly Jonny could call it "Gay Bad Cat Aids Appreciation Show" and I'd still watch his content because it's bloody well done and he's a very nice chap.

CarPervert was upsetting the youtube algorithm I think.

I did think DriveNation name switch was a bit odd. I honestly didn't think it would last but the format is pretty decent actually - short sharp reviews with a smattering of pics. I've enjoyed it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Yes I agree DNs new name is terrible
GG.

Post by GG. »

They're all doing it wrong - clearly the recipe for success is to take your own name and simply stick " 's garage " after it... :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:37 am They're all doing it wrong - clearly the recipe for success is to take your own name and simply stick " 's garage " after it... :lol:
:lol: Or Farm...