People who...

duncs500

Re: People who...

Post by duncs500 »

I think the whole cam on is a bit of a culture that develops. In my old place IIRC everyone started with it on, but soon slid into the whole no longer wanting to make an effort to look passable and so left it off (except for the Spanish contingent in the organisation that always kept it on).

Now I'm a newbie I rigidly keep it on as I think people need to know who I am and what I look like, I hope and think others generally reciprocate so I can see who they are and get to know them better. I met a few IRL yesterday and it was bloody handy to have spoken to them over teams cams before so I didn't have to go round asking who everyone was.
Barry

Post by Barry »

We're still using Zoom for a lot of our meetings :lol: Same problems mind.

I.T. told us to stop using Skype for Business too, Teams is the official package. It's awful though, esp for quick chats.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Exactly the same at my last place and new place in terms of Skype being phased out in favour of teams. I refused to use anything but Skype at my last place for chat, but now I'm having to commit to Teams. I'm getting used to it, I'm finding it ok now.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

The only cam that I use, I have to pay £1.99 per minute. :? Am I doing it wrong?
mik

Post by mik »

The only good thing about Teams chat is that it retains your history.

Other than that is is bilge.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Coaster1 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:34 pm The only cam that I use, I have to pay £1.99 per minute. :? Am I doing it wrong?
:lol: No, that's the right way!
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

mik wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:34 pm The only good thing about Teams chat is that it retains your history.

Other than that is is bilge.
Teams really suffers from trying to do too much.
I wish MS had focussed on chat and video (which is acceptably usable) as a modern Skype for Business/Lync replacement, instead of kitchen sinking in all the integrations that don't even work properly. We still have issues running training with more than 16 people in Teams because we find various clients features stop working (commonly ability to use the hand ups feature or react to a comment), breakout rooms works worse than creating a separate chat session (Zoom breakout rooms work spot on for our needs), clients get really laggy when using lots of video and chat at the same time.
I really wish MS got the basic features right and scaling sorted first, then work on integrations, instead we pay to use Zoom for anything involving externals or lots of people.
Atleast small team video and chat works (which is my main day to day use).

My biggest complaint is the notification system of Teams which does not even integrate with Win10 notifications, puts the notifications over the location of chat or minified video so really gets in the way when your trying to multi task within teams.
Barry

Post by Barry »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:39 pm
Coaster1 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:34 pm The only cam that I use, I have to pay £1.99 per minute. :? Am I doing it wrong?
:lol: No, that's the right way!
I'm obviously in the wrong meetings, I tell them what to do but they ignore me..
Simon

Post by Simon »

We've been on Citrix WebEx Teams for about 3 years or so now. It does everything for us. Its chat, full phone (internal and external) and video conferencing (including events).

It started off being really really buggy and crap. Now it's just really buggy and crap.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We're mid-migration to Teams too. It really doesn't do anything very well, and most things badly. But, the course is set and we can't change it.

Compared to Skype, Zoom and WebEx (which we also have clients for to meet customer and supplier demands) it is a resource hog of epic proportions. I can easily run any of the others in full screen and use my second screen for something else. Doing the same in Teams makes my laptop grind to a halt.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:31 pm We're mid-migration to Teams too. It really doesn't do anything very well, and most things badly. But, the course is set and we can't change it.

Compared to Skype, Zoom and WebEx (which we also have clients for to meet customer and supplier demands) it is a resource hog of epic proportions. I can easily run any of the others in full screen and use my second screen for something else. Doing the same in Teams makes my laptop grind to a halt.
We've been using Teams in our business for the last year and it's been great. With the exception of one or two people, everyone always has camera on. We're social creatures and it's nice to see people when you talk to them.

The only thing we do to help Teams run smoothly is for bigger meeting everyone turns camera off when someone is presenting. Other than that I can't fault it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I can see the idea of the one-stop shop, but it just doesn't work very well. But sounds like your experience is better, which is good.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mark_bt52

Post by Mark_bt52 »

Using Webex where I'm working at the moment and I think it very poor compared to Teams.
Sound quality is noticeably worse and it lacks features.
Nissan GT-R / Audi S4./ BMW 530d
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:07 am ... do a presentation or training on Ms Teams using PowerPoint and don't view the slideshow full screen. So you end up with a window inside a window inside a window and it's tiny. :evil:
I had this yesterday and it was a techy person doing it which made it all the more infuriating.

As for Teams, you can f*ck that sky-high. I'm using it at a client just now and apart from that fact they've chosen to deploy it crippled of features and on slow Citrix sessions, I think the UI is shocking. Its a confusing mess, pretty much like Windows itself, where it appears Microsoft have started with a new replacement for Skype and then kept bolting bits on to it. Like Windows 10.

I just find it incredibly unintuitive to use, clunky and slow. Even things like notifications for your teams chats don't seem to work reliably.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

We use Teams, I click buttons and it works. Not had any issues really using it many times a day every day for the last year.

That's about the sum total of my IT knowledge/interest.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 am We use Teams, I click buttons and it works. Not had any issues really using it many times a day every day for the last year.

That's about the sum total of my IT knowledge/interest.
I think this is the experience for pretty much anyone that works outside of an IT environment. :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I've used various of the video meeting software things, mostly Teams and Zoom, but the best quality (picture and sound) was a Whatsapp group call. Quite impressed, though there's no lobby for logging in early etc so it doesn't do the same job.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Our college uses Teams and for the most part it's OK. It's annoying when Microsoft add buttons but don't tell anyone. As for the original PowerPoint moan it's the biggest issue our tutors have and up till recently even Microsoft admitted it was an issue. That's why they brought out Presenter view, it's great and let's people show PowerPoints easily. If your people are having issues it might be worth telling them about it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Funny one just earlier. Person working for a company with a name along the lines of “first impressions count” - profile picture is super zoomed in with just their eyes, nose and lips in frame :lol:
The irony.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Random bump....

I have a meeting with a potential client tomorrow and they want to use Teams. I've just downloaded the latest version of the Teams client and for the life of me can't find a "test mic and speaker" button anywhere. In fact there's hardly any options at all once you're in it which is nice and minimal, but just not very helpful.

I can do a test call with the wife or something, but am I missing something? If there's not a test button for this sort of stuff, does that not mean a lot of meetings must start with 5 minutes of normal non-nerds trying to get their speakers/headphones/mics working?
Cheers,

Mike.