Vandals

GG.

Re: Vandals

Post by GG. »

The pictures from the ones you note as Swann in your OP look lowish resolution but I guess they're nowhere near 8MP/4K (which are the ones I'm looking at)?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I didn’t mean it looks like the one I posted pictures from originally, that system is probably 5 years old now. I’m just saying most of these CCTV kits are rebranded - I have the same remote from a Swann Kit as you’ve posted in your Amazon link.

They usually post the CCTV videos on YouTube so you can get a better idea of real world performance at night.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I have an Annke system. It’s cheap so I didn’t expect much of it but I think it’s pretty decent (mine’s the 1080p cheapo system). My only real complaints are that the app is a bit clunky (the last major update actually made it worse to use) and the motion detection is utterly useless when it’s raining as it just records every fucking raindrop.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm not too fussed about the motion triggered recording as I plan to leave it on permanently as the 2TB hard drive option should give it a decent period before it starts writing over it. As much as I'll ever need anyway.

The only other thing close to the one I'm looking at is a HikVision one but its 50% or more the price again for something that outwardly seems to have the same specs and I just can't see any good reason why to be honest. Plus £700+ is just more than I'm willing to spend.

I imagine that in reality the hardware for the PVR recorder bit is similar between all of them and for how often I'm going to spend time going through the footage I can live with a clunky interface. I was interested to read in Mitos original post that some of the cameras seem to be intercompatible with the various boxes as that seems to be the biggest difference between the systems. Would be good if you could upgrade the cameras to fancier ones in the future on an ad hoc basis.

ETA: this blog suggests it should work:

"Generally, switching from one security camera system to another can be difficult; however, you will never know how reliable and outstanding the new system is if you never try. I happen to have a Hikvision IP camera at home and try to connect it to Annke NVR. Amazingly, I find Annke 4MP POE NVR goes perfectly with the IP camera from Hikvision. And then I tried with LTS cameras, it goes great, too. Should you have Hikvision’s IP cameras or others you can try to connect to the Annke system and you will be surprised at the result."
scotta

Post by scotta »

Did you get someone to do a steak out in case they returned?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

scotta wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:49 pm Did you get someone to do a steak out in case they returned?
If you lace the steak with sleeping powder you might catch them!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I fully expect them to break in this year, this was 2 weeks ago
Image You can see the bastards plotting.

Due to everyone Brexit stockpiling the waiting time for agricultural fence posts from our preferred supplier was 6-8 weeks so we missed our window to replace them before the cows were released. I don’t see it holding up till September.
How about not having a sig at all?