Projector lamp prices

Mark_bt52

Projector lamp prices

Post by Mark_bt52 »

Ouch!

Had the JVC X5000 for about 6 years and it is awesome. Still our preferred choice for viewing even over our recent Samsung Q90R.

But it has been getting dimmer and dimmer recently. Thought it was because we had got used to the TV (Samsung's QLED can go to retina-burning brightness levels) but no the lamp is dying.

So how much to replace? £400

You can get cheaper option with "OEM bulb inside generic unit" for £300 or even "Genuine separate OEM bulb" for £120, but after 5 mins research you wouldn't risk those options.

New one should last around 2500 - 3000 hours though which will see us through at least another 5 years to the point where the absence of HDR becomes annoying.

Doubt we will get another projector when that happens as the decent JVC 4k ones are £8k+ still using traditional lamps whereas their 4K laser projector is £35k. By that time 130" TVs will be a cheaper and probably better option.

(PS JVC is the only option for true mole like black-levels)
Nissan GT-R / Audi S4./ BMW 530d
V8Granite

Re: Projector lamp prices

Post by V8Granite »

Add cooker hood LED bulbs to that aswell.

£54 for 2 and they still have the wrong connector on I’ll have to swap over.

Dave!
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Mark_bt52 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:30 pm Ouch!

Had the JVC X5000 for about 6 years and it is awesome. Still our preferred choice for viewing even over our recent Samsung Q90R.

But it has been getting dimmer and dimmer recently. Thought it was because we had got used to the TV (Samsung's QLED can go to retina-burning brightness levels) but no the lamp is dying.

So how much to replace? £400

You can get cheaper option with "OEM bulb inside generic unit" for £300 or even "Genuine separate OEM bulb" for £120, but after 5 mins research you wouldn't risk those options.

New one should last around 2500 - 3000 hours though which will see us through at least another 5 years to the point where the absence of HDR becomes annoying.

Doubt we will get another projector when that happens as the decent JVC 4k ones are £8k+ still using traditional lamps whereas their 4K laser projector is £35k. By that time 130" TVs will be a cheaper and probably better option.

(PS JVC is the only option for true mole like black-levels)
JVC are fussy with non-genuine bulbs. It’s one of the reasons why I used to specify Optoma and Canon in commercial installs where they were left on for hours (before commercial laser projectors came down in price).

The 5000 is nice though, and as you said it’s still a big jump in price to notice a worthwhile difference.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:14 am Add cooker hood LED bulbs to that aswell.

£54 for 2 and they still have the wrong connector on I’ll have to swap over.

Dave!
No fucking way 😱😱 £54?? Someone's taking the piss.

What type are they?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Genuine Led Lamp Assembly : Chinabest LED light CTH06-55 2w

You can find loads similar that are halogen, but this stays on 24/7 so I don’t want them.

With the same connector it was £40 each I think.

Every review said how ludicrous the price was. They’ve lasted 3 years but when you look at the led assembly itself you wonder why it needs a 10,000% mark up :o

Dave!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:19 am Genuine Led Lamp Assembly : Chinabest LED light CTH06-55 2w

You can find loads similar that are halogen, but this stays on 24/7 so I don’t want them.

Every review said how ludicrous the price was. They’ve lasted 3 years but when you look at the led assembly itself you wonder why it needs a 10,000% mark up :o

Dave!
I had similar last year, disassembled the unit last year to find the code of the led disc inside, bought on eBay for a few quid - 2 spots of solder on the connectors = job done
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:19 am Genuine Led Lamp Assembly : Chinabest LED light CTH06-55 2w

Dave!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297012 ... web201603_

Check the specs but looks like it £10.32 for 2x delivered
Beany

Post by Beany »

Nathan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:29 am

Dave!
I had similar last year, disassembled the unit last year to find the code of the led disc inside, bought on eBay for a few quid - 2 spots of solder on the connectors = job done
If you're feeling adventurous, you should have a look at under running the LED - it'll likely make it last (genuinely) more than twice as long -either by reducing the power sent to the LED COB (driver mods) or by replacing it with a higher rated COB (ie 3w rather than, say, 2w)

Almost everyone runs LEDs at the limit which makes them die faster than they should.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yep, looks like these are 2w ran at 1.5w
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nathan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 am

Dave!

I used to use Ali Express but I won’t touch them for electrical anymore, plugged a battery in and it instantly set on fire :lol:

I used them and Banggood for all my RC stuff for at least a year or so.

Nothing on the back of the LEDs but when the new ones arrive I’ll cut it up and have a look. Sod paying this much each time.

Dave!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

It's 12V DC [shrug]
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nathan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:20 pm It's 12V DC [shrug]
You realise a burning wire in a confined space essentially coated in a thin film of fat isn’t the best environment to be in yes ?

Dave!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:43 pm
Nathan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 am

Dave!

I used to use Ali Express but I won’t touch them for electrical anymore, plugged a battery in and it instantly set on fire :lol:

I used them and Banggood for all my RC stuff for at least a year or so.

Nothing on the back of the LEDs but when the new ones arrive I’ll cut it up and have a look. Sod paying this much each time.

Dave!
Sadly it's more that likely the same manufacturer but you've been charged UK supplier tax buying it from someone here.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I fully expect to be paying cardboard box tax but it’ll make
Me feel better :lol:

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

LED lights in general are a rip off - there must be a crap load of millionaires who work in the industry :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

They're such a piss take in terms of longevity that Phillips made a special lamp for Dubai, at the request of the rulers, ostensibly unavailable in the test of the world. One that has more LED units, running less power each to get the same light output, but they don't need replacing every five minutes....

Make your own:

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:01 pm LED lights in general are a rip off - there must be a crap load of millionaires who work in the industry :lol:
Some stuff is over priced and some is cheap shit but there a lot of great stuff out there for sensible money. Philips Hue for example is a little steep but it's bloody great and has proven to be reliable.

Undoubtedly (ETA millionaires), but it's a crowded market place and the price point is always dropping! But you'd expect that when lighting accounts for 20% of global energy usage. A lot of £/$/¥/€ to be hoovered up.

Big companies need new tech like when LED came around to cash in when its first available and the price is high. Now the shift is to human centric lighting (circadian rhythm or tuneable white) so the big hitters can cash in again before the Chinese and importers catch up
Last edited by McSwede on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:13 pm They're such a piss take in terms of longevity that Phillips made a special lamp for Dubai, at the request of the rulers, ostensibly unavailable in the test of the world. One that has more LED units, running less power each to get the same light output, but they don't need replacing every five minutes....

Make your own:

The thing is Beany, if you buy well then they last. I've had lots of good quality LED lamps or fittings over the years and they just keep going. Only cheapie BC cap lamps have ever failed on me.

Even if the lamp lasts 5000hrs in your living room/bathroom/kitchen etc it's going to be there for a lot of years.

Like most things in life, buy the best you can.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:30 pm
You realise a burning wire in a confined space essentially coated in a thin film of fat isn’t the best environment to be in yes ?

Dave!
Because the same Chinese tat sold here for 4x the price will be any different 🤔
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nathan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:50 pm
V8Granite wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Dave!
Because the same Chinese tat sold here for 4x the price will be any different 🤔
No because my faith in that site not selling of seconds or even cheaper copies means I don’t want to risk a fire. They could be made of diamonds and be perfect but I won’t chance it.

Dave!