'POA' on houses

Simon

'POA' on houses

Post by Simon »

Still looking at the market. Why the fuck do this POA nonsense? It's not like the one in question is a unique house, it's on the market with other similar properties on the same estate. Oh look, that other one is £675k, so I'll assume this is in the same ballpark.

Do they think that if I make the effort to enquire about the price that I'm gonna be 'hooked'? Or worse, do you think you can profile me as a buyer to work out if I can afford it or not before telling me the price? Tossers.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Re: 'POA' on houses

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve always thought the owners must be very insecure and not want the neighbours to know? It is odd though.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Yes, see also "PM me for details and price" eh no, if you want to sell whatever it is, put some effort into the ad you twat!
tim

Post by tim »

POA on anything annoys me. State a price or fuck off.
Foz

Post by Foz »

tim wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:01 pm POA on anything annoys me. State a price or fuck off.
That
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Foz wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:27 pm
tim wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:01 pm POA on anything annoys me. State a price or fuck off.
That
You're missing an opportunity here. Bid low as no idea what they want then talk to a meeting point. @Simon has no skills and seems to be boasting about his new market price.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:05 pm
That
You're missing an opportunity here. Bid low as no idea what they want then talk to a meeting point. @Simon has no skills and seems to be boasting about his new market price.
Thats just what normal houses cost in the south unfortunately.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

POA on houses doesn’t even work. Just list them by price and you will see:

POA

Oh I wonder how much that one could cost :roll:
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:21 pm POA on houses doesn’t even work. Just list them by price and you will see:

POA

I did think, how will it show up on the EA searches without a cost. That's usually one of the main criteria people use.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:18 pm

That
What Rich said. Houses are silly money. That's for a 5 bed detached admittedly and we only want 4, but even so...
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Simon wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:43 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:18 pm

What Rich said. Houses are silly money. That's for a 5 bed detached admittedly and we only want 4, but even so...
I'm sure you can with current interest rates. I was born into a warning it could be 15 percent. You'd be fucked if that happens.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:18 pm Thats just what normal houses cost in the south unfortunately.
I'm sure you can with current interest rates. I was born into a warning it could be 15 percent. You'd be fucked if that happens.
yeah, put your life on hold, don't have kids, wait until you've saved up enough to buy the house outright
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:51 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 pm

yeah, put your life on hold, don't have kids, wait until you've saved up enough to buy the house outright
Or go with the flow and struggle to feed your kids.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Years and years ago a wise chap at work who had financially done well for himself despite being a spanner monkey hit me with some knowledge.

Never buy a house where the mortgage is more than 40% of your take home but try and get as close to that as possible.

I’m not sure how well that scales up as someone who lives in a £1,000,000 house pays the same amount for a loaf of bread as someone in a £100,000 house.

Either way, POA is a crap game which would have me look straight past them.

Dave!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:51 am Years and years ago a wise chap at work who had financially done well for himself despite being a spanner monkey hit me with some knowledge.

Never buy a house where the mortgage is more than 40% of your take home but try and get as close to that as possible.
I suppose it depends on your circumstances, but 40% seems like a lot - a few percent rise or a few months without earning and that's going to hurt. Ours is <25% and that's more than enough!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:23 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:21 pm POA on houses doesn’t even work. Just list them by price and you will see:

POA

I did think, how will it show up on the EA searches without a cost. That's usually one of the main criteria people use.
Yeah, just order by price on Rightmove and the asking price will be obvious; there has to be a figure behind the scenes to get it appearing in searches.

40% of take home sounds a lot but I’ve been there in the past, albeit 40% of just my salary when my wife also worked. It felt like a burden. With the current low interest rates, you’d be mad to pay that but I doubt mortgage companies will lend at that level now anyway.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I think this was to maximise earning from price rises and still be workable.

Our mortgage is only 20% of our monthly total bills so I’m far from living to that plan :lol:

I saw one guy borrow up to the hilt and it worked well but 2 friends jointly do the same and they screwed themselves.

London prices blow my mind and I don’t understand how the maths work for people, I just underestimate what salaries people earn I think.

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:24 am I think this was to maximise earning from price rises and still be workable.

Our mortgage is only 20% of our monthly total bills so I’m far from living to that plan :lol:

I saw one guy borrow up to the hilt and it worked well but 2 friends jointly do the same and they screwed themselves.

London prices blow my mind and I don’t understand how the maths work for people, I just underestimate what salaries people earn I think.

Dave!
You're in proper bother if interest rates rise.

Our op has gone quiet. Probably had a rethought.
Simon

Post by Simon »

That would be right at the very top of our budget and I'd rather spend £75k less and have a bit of slack in case rates do rise in the future, because yes, when they're this low they can only go one way.

The POA just really annoys me, that's what prompted this threat, not my interest in that particular property.