Women and dishwashers

mik

Re: Women and dishwashers

Post by mik »

Aaaaand we are back to 1979. :lol:

Remind us again why you are single Beany? ;)
GG.

Post by GG. »

This does appear to be universal.

Mrs GG is also not capable of playing dishwasher Jenga and ends up with me re-arranging it every time.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So the moral of the story is that if you’re a) married and b) want clean dishes with minimal effort, then don’t buy a dishwasher 😉
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Meh, the wife doesn't do it exactly how I want it, but not bad enough to make me want to do it all over again. You'll always get another chance! :D
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

My wife can load the dishwasher however the fuck she wants if it means I’m not doing it 😂
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

It is heartening to see I am not alone! :lol:

I got utterly fed up of having to rearrange a "full" dishwasher so I am now the only person that puts in anything curved. Kids and wife occasionally put in a flat plate.

TBF, the design of the interior seems to be much the same as it was in the one my parents bought 35 plus years ago when a bowl was one shape and plates another, now we have bowlier bowls, pasta plates etc and the racks are not well thought out for that!

I miss Miele cutlery drawer*. Blooming genius idea but must have been too expensive to make as my Miele just has the basket.

* I did sell white goods for years.
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:56 pm Aaaaand we are back to 1979. :lol:

Incredibly, I wasn't being entirely serious.

I'll never quite understand why people spend good money on something that takes ten times as long and not a huge amount less effort (once you take loading, unloading, cleaning things the dishwasher didn't do a good job on, etc) than just doing it by hand.

Perhaps literally everyone I've ever seen use a dishwasher has been using it wrong? :?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

If your dishwasher isn't cleaning things properly you probably are indeed doing it wrong.

I don't disagree that if you wash up immediately after you eat that it doesn't take much longer than loading a dishwasher, but they probably clean better for the level of effort, and it's great when you've got a load of stuff left over from the day before and you can just throw it in.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:07 am

I'll never quite understand why people spend good money on something that takes ten times as long and not a huge amount less effort (once you take loading, unloading, cleaning things the dishwasher didn't do a good job on, etc) than just doing it by hand.

Perhaps literally everyone I've ever seen use a dishwasher has been using it wrong? :?
My missus is a good cook, but she uses EVERY single item in the kitchen To do it. Add that to the rest of the mess made whilst looking after kids and it is a full load each day. It takes me 2 minutes to Chuck them all in the dishwasher at the end of the night and put it on over night.

If you're just cooking for one and probably cleaning up as you go, then yeah, a dishwasher isn't for you.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Dishwasher0wned
Beany

Post by Beany »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:13 am If your dishwasher isn't cleaning things properly you probably are indeed doing it wrong.

I don't disagree that if you wash up immediately after you eat that it doesn't take much longer than loading a dishwasher, but they probably clean better for the level of effort, and it's great when you've got a load of stuff left over from the day before and you can just throw it in.
All that lovely bacteria just festering overnight on the plate.....delicious.

Although again, I might not be being entirely serious with my criticisms - I can see the benefit beyond a certain point obviously. :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I felt the same way about bidets until I tried them.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 amMy missus is a good cook, but she uses EVERY single item in the kitchen To do it. Add that to the rest of the mess made whilst looking after kids and it is a full load each day. It takes me 2 minutes to Chuck them all in the dishwasher at the end of the night and put it on over night.
Your kid is pretty young, so I guess it feels normal. I’m surprised your wife doesn’t resent this treatment however.
mik

Post by mik »

Incredibly, neither was I.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:56 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 amMy missus is a good cook, but she uses EVERY single item in the kitchen To do it. Add that to the rest of the mess made whilst looking after kids and it is a full load each day. It takes me 2 minutes to Chuck them all in the dishwasher at the end of the night and put it on over night.
Your kid is pretty young, so I guess it feels normal. I’m surprised your wife doesn’t resent this treatment however.
Well can you name of a better way to find out when the little detergent door opens??
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 am

My missus is a good cook, but she uses EVERY single item in the kitchen To do it. Add that to the rest of the mess made whilst looking after kids and it is a full load each day. It takes me 2 minutes to Chuck them all in the dishwasher at the end of the night and put it on over night.

If you're just cooking for one and probably cleaning up as you go, then yeah, a dishwasher isn't for you.
Are we married to the same person?

My Mrs prepares all of the boys meals from scratch (no jars of baby food etc), cooks her own meals and then often something different for me (we have very different palettes) so that's potentially 9 different meals in the day. We often have 2 dishwasher loads in a day and usually things are left piled up between meals. It's a right mess most days.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Beany wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:27 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:13 am If your dishwasher isn't cleaning things properly you probably are indeed doing it wrong.

All that lovely bacteria just festering overnight on the plate.....delicious.
I would guess they still come out of the dishwasher cleaner than hand washing right away.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 am My missus is a good cook, but she uses EVERY single item in the kitchen To do it. Add that to the rest of the mess made whilst looking after kids and it is a full load each day. It takes me 2 minutes to Chuck them all in the dishwasher at the end of the night and put it on over night.

She should have gone sailing with my stepfather - he insisted that the fair way of allocating cooking and washing up duties is for the chef to wash up. That way they are penalised for using more utensils and pans. Always stuck with me, so I wash up my own mess and... I wash up after everyone else too because they don't do it properly :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I like that logic Jobbo...

Not specifically to the cook and the cleaner (as I do all the cooking...😂)

But in general, it’s a bloody good approach to ensuring efficiency
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 am

I hate washing up by hand. I use the dishwasher on a half load setting.
Banal Vapid Platitudes