Next day delivery

duncs500

Re: Next day delivery

Post by duncs500 »

I don't think I've ever seen a letter box at the bottom of the door like that in my life. :shock:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:27 am I don't think I've ever seen a letter box at the bottom of the door like that in my life. :shock:
I'd estimate about 1-2% of places have them.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Parcel force seem to be a total shower of shite lately. Yes, even worse than Yodel. It seems to be this country though, as I ordered 2 lots of beer from Belgium recently, both on a Thursday evening and they turned up on Sunday with DPD. Everything I order takes at least 2 days now, and I order a lot. Except Amazon Prime. That shit gets through fine!

I've seen the images of depots backed up and the claims of too many parcels to deliver, but I just don't buy it. I think it's down to piss poor management and the British Leyland work ethic this country still seems to harbour. Not my fucking job pal, I clock off at five.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

RobYob wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:00 pm
duncs500 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:27 am I don't think I've ever seen a letter box at the bottom of the door like that in my life. :shock:
I'd estimate about 1-2% of places have them.
There were plenty of them when I had my paper round. As that was about 31 years ago in a different country, I think I have added significant evidence to back your argument.

Also, I hated them.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

We have a low letterbox because it looked best on the door we liked.

Down on your knees post bitches 8-)

( we do have a step so it’s not actually right on the floor )
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Gwaredd wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:58 pm I've seen the images of depots backed up and the claims of too many parcels to deliver, but I just don't buy it. I think it's down to piss poor management and the British Leyland work ethic this country still seems to harbour. Not my fucking job pal, I clock off at five.
Could well be. Or could be the company bottom line is more important than paying for enough people, or overtime, or equipment, or maintenance etc etc etc.

I know chatting to one of the guys that left Amazon deliveries to temp at the post office with me that they get 12hours notice on whether they are assigned a shift the next day and he was paying weekly van rental and "admin" fees to Amazon for the privilege. He's likely to stay with RM while he can.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My postman Warren is working about 3 shifts - mornings, afternoons, Sunday's - top guy though, he's dressing up as Santa next week and knocking on doors that he knows have kids. He got a £20 tip in a cars from me yesterday!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Amazon, DPD and Hermes have been a lot more effective than Royal Mail at delivering things quickly this year. I had to wait a week for some title deeds to arrive, and they were sent tracked next day RM.

Not a criticism of you, Rob, but in Staffordshire and Gloucestershire things are creaking a lot. The Daily Mail has a story about it today though since it’s the DM, you can take it with a massive pinch of salt.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Oh, since my wife works for Hermes I know all about the volumes and number of extra people they’ve taken on; she also speaks to an Amazon chap. With Amazon apparently you don’t do a regular round and you bid each day for the rounds. Amazon also have their own app to dictate the delivery route but it shows the shape of each building so they’re very good at finding houses even when they’ve not been before. Hermes don’t give any help other than that gun showing you addresses in postcode order; I drew some strip maps for my wife using info from the Land Registry, planning portal and other resources I use for work.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yeah RM have been terrible this year. Sent a package into London, first class tracked for a friend's birthday. It took 6 days to travel the 28 miles. And I sent 2 items special delivery that I'd sold on eBay. One to London, one to Yorkshire. The London one took 2 days to arrive. The other 3 days. Pretty poor really.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, we’ve not been able to give people reliable last shipping days this year because whenever we asked RM for their advice we got a shrug back :lol:
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:48 am Not a criticism of you, Rob, but in Staffordshire and Gloucestershire things are creaking a lot.
27,000 steps today and I told you I don't FUCKING CREAK :x

:D

No idea how Amazon allocate parcels it's either entirely chaotic or demonically orchestrated. I walk some around, others go with RM vans and there's their contract drivers and then their casuals.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I've never seen RM struggle like this in all my life. We've had a couple of things get lost (which literally never happens) and anything other than special delivery seems to have a guaranteed delivery time of 2-3 weeks.
Cheers,

Mike.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've noticed lately that vendors who claim speedy delivery tend to print the label from the courier, and then send you the email to say it's been dispatched. When you look at the tracking from the courier however they tend not to be in possession of the package for something like three days! I presume the vendor doesn't arrange collection or give it to the courier right away (I'm guessing they wait until the have a batch to go out?). Bloody irritating when you're expecting something to arrive imminently and it hasn't even left in reality. Had the same thing twice in as many days.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve assumed that it’s problems at Royal Mail that have been causing the delays.

Also, if your parcel ships over a weekend chances are it won’t update tracking until Tuesday morning.

Any stock items you can’t sell is a waste of space in a warehouse so most companies will get their parcels out the door ASAP.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Neither of these were RM, and didn't happen over a weekend. Just said something like "label printed" for days and then "scanned in depot" or something like that.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ah yeah, that does sound like people are running orders at dispatch before they’re ready to ship.

We caught a warehouse manager doing that once. He was fulfilling 100s of orders before they were ready to try and make it look like his warehouse was running better than it was :lol:
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:) Cheeky so-and-so!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, eBay in general has turned shit in the pandemic. I used to always buy little bits and pieces on eBay, but the delivery has turned so inconsistent that I've given up on it altogether. They always show as out to deliver or something, but then take weeks to turn up (so sounds like your scam above!)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Agree with Rich. I barely ever use eBay anymore.

At our manufacturing plant we've had loads of courier issues during Covid. Some days they just haven't turned up at all, some day only one or a small vehicle comes and can only take 25%-50% of what we have.

Then sometimes they just dump deliveries anywhere. Direct to project sites has proved problematic too. They're all a bit shit!