The desire to adopt all of the dogs

mik

The desire to adopt all of the dogs

Post by mik »

Fuxache. :evil:

Having rescued once I feel a massive desire to do so again. Yes it’s even more hard work than a puppy as you have to reverse bad/no training. But so rewarding for you. And them.

But we already have 2 dugs (albeit one getting on).

Following German Shepard rescue pages is not good for me. 😬
duncs500

Re: The desire to adopt all of the dogs

Post by duncs500 »

Awww, love a German Shepherd. Do it mik!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Welcome to my world.

2 is nothing and 3 really isn't much more hassle/work than 2....

:D
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I honestly have to say I'm enjoying not having a dog.... for the moment.

Not sure I'd have a rescue either, I'm sure they are better than spoilt puppies :D
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Yeah, let's not pretend they aren't a tie in many ways.

I think once you've rescued one dog you can go and buy a spoilt pure-bred puppy guilt free.

Although lockdown has fucked the price of puppies... friend was looking for a lab and they're £3000 - £4000 at the moment.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ascender wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:27 am Welcome to my world.

That is my wife's cat philosophy. Once you have a couple, the extra effort involved in having many cats is marginal. Until you get to 32, apparently, when environmental health take an interest. We only have 7, so plenty of scope for more :lol:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:41 am

That is my wife's cat philosophy. Once you have a couple, the extra effort involved in having many cats is marginal. Until you get to 32, apparently, when environmental health take an interest. We only have 7, so plenty of scope for more :lol:
Our neighbour at the first flat we bought had approximately 25 rescue cats in a one bedroom flat. She was a lovely person, but your eyes would be watering the minute you went in through the front door.

7 cats is a good effort, well done!

I keep looking at Maine Coon rescue pages but they very rarely come up and I want a nice BIG cat....
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

7 cats (and a pair of dachshunds) in a house in the countryside doesn't feel madly crowded with animals - I think I'd feel differently in a one-bedroom flat :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Big cats are awesome, I think I’ll have a bloody good cry when our monster ginger Tom pops his clogs.

We spend £140 a month on food for the dog so no big rescue dog for us despite being given the go-ahead On a really mistreated Rottweiler bitch.

Retirement will be spent rescuing old dogs in rescue centres.

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:14 pm We spend £140 a month on food for the dog so no big rescue dog for us despite being given the go-ahead On a really mistreated Rottweiler bitch.
Another thing I don't miss - bills bills bills. Last couple of years the insurance was maxed plus 46 quid every 6 weeks haircuts then the food, extra money to stay places per night like 30 quid for a tiny bed in the corner of a room .... a smelly dog room :lol:

If rehoming one was free it would be a lot more attractive :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:46 pm Fuxache. :evil:

Having rescued once I feel a massive desire to do so again. Yes it’s even more hard work than a puppy as you have to reverse bad/no training. But so rewarding for you. And them.

But we already have 2 dugs (albeit one getting on).

Following German Shepard rescue pages is not good for me. 😬
I’m going to say do it, but only because you banging on about how good 2 dogs are compared to one made me get a second 😂
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’d have a second dog again if I didn’t travel so much. With one dog it’s fine taking a train or small car. 2 dogs and it’s a PITA. If I lived permanently in a house then I’d have a few large dogs.

Found rehoming those goats really rewarding though so I’ll stick to farm animals. Would love to have a donkey sanctuary one day :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:41 am

A former colleague and his wife take in rescued cats. I think they've gone well past 30!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

We wanted to rescue before we got Roxy, but nowhere would touch us as we had a child under 5 in the house. The price of dogs seems to have really shot up. We paid £750 for Roxy just over a year ago (which I thought was a bit steep for a miniature labradoodle - essentially a cross-breed), but prices have gone ridiculous - dogs like Roxy (F1 Miniature Labradoodle) are going for £2K+ :shock:

Seriously considering rescuing when Max gets older though.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

That explains why people are actually stealing dogs lately. Seeing it a few times on the local FB groups.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:46 pm That explains why people are actually stealing dogs lately. Seeing it a few times on the local FB groups.
Yes that really is a low thing to do.

I was out for a walk yesterday and an old fella in the park walking his yorkie asked where mine was - only been a year and a half since been dogless. It did highlight how great they are for meeting people, especially fantastic at a time when you're restricted - from that aspect you can see the demand / prices.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:46 pm That explains why people are actually stealing dogs lately. Seeing it a few times on the local FB groups.
I’ve seen it on FB too but thought it was bollocks. Talk of dog-knappers making chalk marks outside houses so they know where dogs are so they can go back and nick them. Sounds like nonsense.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Giving serious thought to getting an Aussie Shepherd! I've never had a dog and my cat is now pretty elderly. Would like to do a bit of canicross so an active dog is not a problem. Bit worried about infecting our house with dog smell though...dog owners become immune it seems, but everyone else can smell it :lol:

I'll probably hang on till my cat goes to the land of Dreamies, as it's not fair on her after all these years.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

We need to crack on and get a dog when we can. We’ve talked about it for so long I think our daughter is going to call foul if we don’t.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:35 pm We need to crack on and get a dog when we can. We’ve talked about it for so long I think our daughter is going to call foul if we don’t.
Please consider your local greyhound adoption charity, even if you get something else please consider it 👍