The desire to adopt all of the dogs

V8Granite

Re: The desire to adopt all of the dogs

Post by V8Granite »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:09 am
V8Granite wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:02 pm Off to look at a pup from the same breeder we got Flash from in 3.5 weeks.

We wanted 2 males but sadly 2 pups didn’t make it so we only can have 1, so now on the hunt for another litter from Westlodge (the breeder) loins as we want 2 to grow up together. We will get boys again.

Then it will be settle them for a year and the wife wants a Border Terrier or I can see us having an Akita finally. We have already sorted out travel arrangements Yemenis so our stuff will be going in a nice trailer whenever we go anywhere :lol:

I can’t wait!!!

Dave!
Whatever you do, do not get litter mates. It's a nightmare and the dogs never fully develop. We recently boarded 2 Cavaliers long term (due to their owner being in hospital) and they were litter mates. Amongst the conditions you get:

Jealousy
Fighting (sometimes to the death)
Separation anxiety
Destructive behavior
Never mature emotionally
One dog will appear subservient but will be extremely naughty usually too, as it's competing for attention from the dominant dog.

Plus just generally being little shits as they tend to compete for everything. These issues generally can't be trained out as the dogs need to be separated for extended periods so as to allow for the bonds to be broken to a certain extent.

We have friends who have a pair of Cocker boys from the same litter (pedigree breeder) and they behave in the same way. We've seen all the above conditions in the cavaliers apart from the fighting but when you look up litter mates this is on the list too.

As much as the idea sounds nice, you'll just make a rod for your own back. Better to get 2 dogs a litter apart from the same breeder. Have a read about littermate syndrome and make up your own mind.

We genuinely toyed with rescuing the pair we had as it was touch and go with the owner and after 3 months we'd trained out certain bad behaviours but there were things we just couldn't do and meant that leaving them for any amount of time is a lottery, fortunately the owner recovered and my wife just walks them and does occasional doggy day care. They believe that our house is home too as they get very excited when they arrive and one even cries when it sees me.
All good points but we’ve seen some incredible bonds with litter mates too, plus the training can be a bonus as one tries to do better than the other. The plan was to get one for each child so they can primarily work with each dog and we would do the more serious training. We managed well with Flash but also learnt a lot of the things we did wrong or made much harder than it needed to be. I’ve managed to cure a few dogs of horrible traits but I don’t buy into only using positive re-enforcement which is the way most dogs are trained now. I hope I’m not setting myself up for a fall 😂

There is another litter which may become available from the same line so hopefully that works out, fingers crossed.

I’m more excited about the dog than anything else at the minute, time is moving too slow!!!

Dave!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I am in no position to adopt; after meeting a good boy adoptee while out having a wander t'other day I ended up browsing the shelters online...look at this pic https://woodgreen.org.uk/pets/maisie/
mik

Post by mik »

WOOF! 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Maybe not quite relevant, but close;

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:46 pm Fuxache. :evil:

Having rescued once I feel a massive desire to do so again. Yes it’s even more hard work than a puppy as you have to reverse bad/no training. But so rewarding for you. And them.

But we already have 2 dugs (albeit one getting on).

Following German Shepard rescue pages is not good for me. 😬
mik

Post by mik »

Look at the length of that tongue :shock:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

My problem is following greyhound rescue pages. There was a pair on one that needed to be kept together, and it took around 6-8 months for them to find a home, it took way to much self control not to take them :lol: I’m 100% not in a position to have 3 dogs, never mind 4 :shock:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I like that one 😂😂😂

Dave!