I don’t get it

mik

I don’t get it

Post by mik »

Feel free to add your own / highlight wrongness.

I’m not saying these are wrong - just that they don’t work for me :?

1. Model cars (inc Lego). I like a nice car image, but have practically zero interest in models. Possibly cos I think I am more a driving enthusiast, and cars are the vehicle (pun intended) to deliver this - hence the interest in actual cars. Doesn’t explain why images work for me though.

2. VW Golf. Nothing wrong with a Golf but - no more interesting to me than any other hot hatch.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: I don’t get it

Post by Rich B »

3. Nissan Qashqais

4. The need for "comfortable barges" if you drive more than 10 miles a day.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Land Rovers. :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

2 - VW Golf - having had 2 in a row you could say I am able to comment on the R version. Very good cars especially in colder winter months where any power in rwd or fwd will make going quickly a waste of time / dangerous :lol: Other than that tho they are not for driving pleasure and they sound rubbish. So I would agree but then they were cheap and never went wrong.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, I have no particular love for my Golf. It's a sensible stop gap for a couple of years to me. Though saying that, it does turn in with serious grip which is amusing.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:27 am Land Rovers. :lol:
How dare you, they’re a British institution.

I don’t get watch collecting tbh.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:32 am
duncs500 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:27 am Land Rovers. :lol:
How dare you, they’re a British institution.
I know, I guess the older ones are kinda cool, in the same way that any relatively rare classic would be, but my desire to own one is zero.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yep, watch collecting. With you in that one.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am Yep, watch collecting. With you in that one.
Yep. Haven't worn a watch for years now. Don't get the love for Golfs - at least not any more than the other umpteen equivalents in the VAG range. And Land Rovers can also do one.

I also don't get Discoveries - yet another LR product that everyone seems to think is amazing despite the fact they break down every 2yds and cost £'000s to repair. ;)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:40 am
I also don't get Discoveries - yet another LR product that everyone seems to think is amazing despite the fact they break down every 2yds and cost £'000s to repair. ;)
It must be all about the status (which I'm guessing is "I can't afford a Rangey" isn't it? No offence to Disco owners on here ;)).

There were tons of the new ones when we were in Cornwall, they were the most consistently bad drivers on the road I noticed. :D
mik

Post by mik »

You need to try one 8-) and ours simply didn’t *

* Disco4 crank sensor went and cost me £1200. This issue caused a recall for various models in the range with the 255bhp 3.0D engine, but Land Rover insisted ours was outside of the affected VIN range. Despite me proposing that the bounding of the range they had determined to be affected clearly being inaccurate. Hardly a common general issue is it ffs?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I don't get the Golf love either they seem to be generally accepted as 'the' default car.

Even people who know about near identical better value VAG products would still pump for the Golf.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The Golf R was a very sterile but capable driving experience, cheap & reliable too. Is that not just indicative of where the car industry is as a whole though? Would older Golfs have much more character to them?
Cheers,

Mike.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Ascender wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:43 pm The Golf R was a very sterile but capable driving experience, cheap & reliable too. Is that not just indicative of where the car industry is as a whole though? Would older Golfs have much more character to them?
But why do you see 10 times more Golf Rs than Leon Cupra Rs ?

Golf Love :D
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Golfs of all generations have pretty much been a default choice because they’re good all rounders that feel nicely put together.

Many of their rivals may be much better in a couple of areas, but usually worse in others, there’s not much else that does the decent at everything without trying too hard thing that golfs do. They’ve all looked alright, they’ve all had decent interiors, and they’re usually pretty classless and timeless.

Older ones have a following because, similar to bmw, they usually follow a pretty evolutionary path making swaps and upgrades plentiful, and even an old Mk2 is solid and reliable and refined enough to be an everyday car if you so wish.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Carlos wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:55 pm
Ascender wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:43 pm The Golf R was a very sterile but capable driving experience, cheap & reliable too. Is that not just indicative of where the car industry is as a whole though? Would older Golfs have much more character to them?

The Golf was always AWD but the cupra hatch was FWD until 2019.
Last edited by Rich B on Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Because they look better, have nicer interiors, have a be badge not a seat, and probably had better lease deals because of stronger residuals.
Cheers, Harry
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:01 pm

Because they look better, have nicer interiors, have a be badge not a seat, and probably had better lease deals because of stronger residuals.
I think you're being generous. I'd say largely just comes down to badge and the Golf's heritage. It's more in NCG's minds than any equivalent VAG model.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Same as the Scirocco. Slower and fwd.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:56 am
You need to try one 8-) and ours simply didn’t *

* Disco4 crank sensor went and cost me £1200. This issue caused a recall for various models in the range with the 255bhp 3.0D engine, but Land Rover insisted ours was outside of the affected VIN range. Despite me proposing that the bounding of the range they had determined to be affected clearly being inaccurate. Hardly a common general issue is it ffs?
:P

Nah, I have zero desire for one. Most SUVs in fact, but especially anything with a LR/RR badge. I think it's negative prejudice based on all the total wangers that drive them round here.