UK Tourism

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

UK Tourism

Post by Jobbo »

OK, I know it was the bank holiday weekend but crikey it was busy on Sunday. The roads weren't too bad but I went to the Elan Valley with a friend - to walk, not for a drive, fortunately - and it was absolutely heaving. With idiots, of course; I was even blocked in at one car park next to the Foel Tower.

There were a bunch of sporty cars with numbered stickers parked round the coach turning point at the Elan visitor centre when we arrived about midday. They ought to have got up earlier because their enjoyment of the roads will have been massively curtailed :lol:

I had no idea the Elan Valley was such a tourist trap. Lockdown seems to have made previously quiet places into absolute honey pots.
Mito Man

Re: UK Tourism

Post by Mito Man »

I preferred it when our net tourism resulted in quiet roads in the U.K. and anarchy in South France and Italy
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I was pleasantly suprised when we went to Cornwall the week before last - it wasn't rammed at all, and barely any busier than when we've been down before. First time we've ever been during school holidays in 20yrs, as we've always avoided them, particularly the summer break. So I was expecting it to be particularly bad this year.

We stayed fairly local to be fair which maybe helped, as well as being on the southern side right at the bottom.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Me and Maxwell have been wanting to go up Snowdon since his 6th birthday in March but ever since the place has either been closed or rammed.

It kind of ruins the countryside experience when it looks like a queue to a Next Sale.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

There are many routes up Snowdon Dave - I reckon the Watkins Path or Rhyd Ddu path would still be quiet.

Of course, the top will be bedlam but don't go to the top...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Barry

Post by Barry »

You have to remember, all those people that would normally be upsetting Spanish and Greek towns, are now "staycationing" in the UK. Wales was a mess last weekend too.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Barry wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:34 pm You have to remember, all those people that would normally be upsetting Spanish and Greek towns, are now "staycationing" in the UK. Wales was a mess last weekend too.
Its been rammed all August. I've never seen Tenby so busy, we didn't even get out of the car.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Carlos wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:43 pm
Barry wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:34 pm You have to remember, all those people that would normally be upsetting Spanish and Greek towns, are now "staycationing" in the UK. Wales was a mess last weekend too.
Its been rammed all August. I've never seen Tenby so busy, we didn't even get out of the car.
Barmouth, Bala, Llangollen, ColwynBay, all the same recently. Local media reporting that Police are having to tow all the badly parked cars at Snowdon.

I tend to avoid the touristy areas when I'm out on the bike, sometimes its unavoidable though.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

We've been in north Cornwall since Saturday and it's generally been fine. Padstow was busy, but that's to be expected.

Some piss poor driving standards have been my only real bugbear.

Edit - I'm happy places have been busy, many businesses that rely on tourism probably wouldn't have survived without the extra staycationers.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:12 pm We've been in north Cornwall since Saturday and it's generally been fine. Padstow was busy, but that's to be expected.

Edit - I'm happy places have been busy, many businesses that rely on tourism probably wouldn't have survived without the extra staycationers.
We're going to Cornwall next Friday, hopefully be quieter now the kids are back in school.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

We went to Devon last week it didn’t seem overly busy although we couldn’t get a campsite past Friday. when it started raining heavily on Thursday we bailed a day early as we’d not had good weather all week and didn’t fancy another wet day to just drive home a day later. The wife often says we should holiday more in the uk and this just reminded her why we go to France usually. We did have a fairly good week in the Isle of Wight earlier in the summer though.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:12 pm We've been in north Cornwall since Saturday and it's generally been fine. Padstow was busy, but that's to be expected.

There's nothing really in the Elan Valley for tourists to spend money on, so it wasn't really benefiting the community or businesses there.

I guess I was simply surprised to see somewhere which is usually so empty quite so busy.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Main roads to the fancy coastal towns in Suffolk have been awful for the past month or so. Much more tourists than usual.

Hopefully they've all fucked off now 😂
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

On the radio in London there was an advert to visit Kent. Fuck off we don’t want you crap driving rude Londoners :lol: ohh
How about not having a sig at all?
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Evo meet at Mito's Dad's farm :D
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 pm On the radio in London there was an advert to visit Kent. Fuck off we don’t want you crap driving rude Londoners :lol: ohh

They come down often enough and mess the place up any way, no advertising needed :(
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

My town is rammed, people asking where they can park motorhomes despite them being banned.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Which town is that?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Simon wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:06 pm Which town is that?
Saltburn by the Sea in North Yorkshire.
John

Post by John »

This is where the UK differs from mainland Europe, we ban motorhomes and they welcome them with open arms supplying free parking and overnight stops.