UK Tourism

Zonda_

Re: UK Tourism

Post by Zonda_ »

John wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:55 am This is where the UK differs from mainland Europe, we ban motorhomes and they welcome them with open arms supplying free parking and overnight stops.
That's fine in an area large enough to support them but not in a Victorian town that struggles with the amount of car parking space it has. One of these these parking on a roadside reduces it to one car width and with the amount of tourists we get it create gridlock in minutes.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

John wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:55 am This is where the UK differs from mainland Europe, we ban motorhomes and they welcome them with open arms supplying free parking and overnight stops.
and as the resident Mick on the board, I can only offer my apologies... :oops: ;) :lol:

I went to a wedding in a tiny little town in Southern France - parts of the town were over 1000 years old. But it still had a large Campervan park, free to use, with a pool and a café.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Marv

Post by Marv »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am I went to a wedding in a tiny little town in Southern France - parts of the town were over 1000 years old. But it still had a large Campervan park, free to use, with a pool and a café.
I love that in France they have proper, generous rest areas everywhere.

Not the tiny cramped layby next to whizzing traffic we get here, on anything other than motorway service stations.
Oui, je suis un motard.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Just had a look at the town again - they have started to charge for the site my mates used - a whole €10 / night per Van :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I suspect France has nicer stuff/living conditions etc as they had a revolution, and every time their political peeps try and take the piss, they actually do something about it.

But, as to aires, they do have a lot more space.

The Moho groups on faceache are full of entitled fucking boomers who are either telling us all how they can go anywhere because they don't need to use local facilities or telling us they should have free facilities due to all the money they plough into the local economy!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:26 pm I suspect France has nicer stuff/living conditions etc as they had a revolution, and every time their political peeps try and take the piss, they actually do something about it.
Not quite true - they have riots and then vote the same types back in again. Rinse and repeat.

Europe as a whole is just better for those travelling by road. They're culturally used to it, have a lot more space for facilities and land is cheaper, and their planning systems are generally less nimby-protective when it comes to public infrastructure.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

There’s one, and only one, reason why these facilities don’t exist in the U.K. Why EVERY FUCKING ONE of the car parks at beaches, forests, mountains, lakes have height restriction barriers in place.

And co-incidentally, the situation is identical in Ireland. What are the chances eh?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Staying at pentire Newquay at the moment. Everywhere in town is well strict today on track and trace... now the shagging youngsters all went home.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:55 pm There’s one, and only one, reason why these facilities don’t exist in the U.K. Why EVERY FUCKING ONE of the car parks at beaches, forests, mountains, lakes have height restriction barriers in place.

And co-incidentally, the situation is identical in Ireland. What are the chances eh?
Seen a few in my time in France, but I think they deal with them a lot quicker and more harshly too when they do, much like the rioting when they are pissed they are not so well restrained as us brits (which in some cases is a good thing).
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

For all their Gauloises and ‘fuck it - whatever’ shrugs, the French take no shit when they don’t like the shit..