People are odd aren't they?

speedingfine

Re: People are odd aren't they?

Post by speedingfine »

BenP wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:44 pm Adding to this thread, I’ve lived in my house for 15 years. The week I moved In in 2005 next door said to me he’ll fix the fence as approx 60% was missing. I spent 2 years doing the place up adding a single storey extension double drive etc, still no fence repairs. We would speak in the street and after a few minutes I’d drop in the same line every time “any news on the fence” he’d make an excuse and then would have to go. It became a game to me.

During this time I was single/no children so didn’t really care. He then got a dog. This was a turning point for me. I found it In my garden a few times when I came home from work early along with some shit dotted around the garden which was promptly flicked back in to his garden. He was crafty with the dog, when I was home it was on a long lead in the garden unable to cross the boundary but I soon sussed out that when he knew I was at work it was allowed off the lead and in to my garden.

Any how 15 years later the fence drama is still ongoing. It’s like the fourth bridge, it’s always work progress. I think he’s had a complete fence for approx 3 years. When winter comes each year and high winds arrive some more falls down and the process starts again with me asking him to fix the fence again.
So at the start of the year you guessed it more of the fence was down, I approached him about getting it fixed explaining that my little boy was now 18 months old and summer will be here before you know it so can you get the fence fixed as he’ll be in the garden this year. He found issue with this as I was slightly more direct than previous due to wanting the garden secure for our little one. This turned in to he doesn’t have the money to fix it. Ok then I’ll pay half. Nope he doesn’t want that. Ok so how about I pay for the materials and he does it. No not that either. I’ll pay for the lot and do it for you. Definitely not he says it’s his fence! He says he will do it at some point.

So what am I supposed to do then I say, not let my little boy out in our garden until you get some money or decide you’ll do it? He can’t answer this as he’s admitting he’s being awkward so results to extremely aggressive behaviour. Now at this point I’ll add in I’ve seen him have a fight in the street about 10 years ago with some dude that was something to do with lads and dads football so I know he doesn’t mind violence. Anyhow times moved on and he’s an old man now so I stand my ground expecting him to cross the party wall line and say to myself if he does cross the boundary then it’s game on. He comes right up to it shouting, swearing, fists in the air, I keep my cool and tell him just fix the fence and I’m not here to fall out with him, I don’t take one step back and kept eye contact all the time with my most stern face lol. He sees I haven’t moved and stops with a puzzled look of not sure what to do now. He splutters he’ll have it fixed in 2 days. 😂. 2 weeks later we have a complete fence, boy is in the garden loving life for the summer. We move house tomorrow and it won’t be our problem that but yes people are strange.
11/10 would read again, especially the end where he finally fixes it and you promptly move :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

BenP wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:44 pm Adding to this thread, I’ve lived in my house for 15 years. The week I moved In in 2005 next door said to me he’ll fix the fence as approx 60% was missing. I spent 2 years doing the place up adding a single storey extension double drive etc, still no fence repairs. We would speak in the street and after a few minutes I’d drop in the same line every time “any news on the fence” he’d make an excuse and then would have to go. It became a game to me.

During this time I was single/no children so didn’t really care. He then got a dog. This was a turning point for me. I found it In my garden a few times when I came home from work early along with some shit dotted around the garden which was promptly flicked back in to his garden. He was crafty with the dog, when I was home it was on a long lead in the garden unable to cross the boundary but I soon sussed out that when he knew I was at work it was allowed off the lead and in to my garden.

Any how 15 years later the fence drama is still ongoing. It’s like the fourth bridge, it’s always work progress. I think he’s had a complete fence for approx 3 years. When winter comes each year and high winds arrive some more falls down and the process starts again with me asking him to fix the fence again.
So at the start of the year you guessed it more of the fence was down, I approached him about getting it fixed explaining that my little boy was now 18 months old and summer will be here before you know it so can you get the fence fixed as he’ll be in the garden this year. He found issue with this as I was slightly more direct than previous due to wanting the garden secure for our little one. This turned in to he doesn’t have the money to fix it. Ok then I’ll pay half. Nope he doesn’t want that. Ok so how about I pay for the materials and he does it. No not that either. I’ll pay for the lot and do it for you. Definitely not he says it’s his fence! He says he will do it at some point.

So what am I supposed to do then I say, not let my little boy out in our garden until you get some money or decide you’ll do it? He can’t answer this as he’s admitting he’s being awkward so results to extremely aggressive behaviour. Now at this point I’ll add in I’ve seen him have a fight in the street about 10 years ago with some dude that was something to do with lads and dads football so I know he doesn’t mind violence. Anyhow times moved on and he’s an old man now so I stand my ground expecting him to cross the party wall line and say to myself if he does cross the boundary then it’s game on. He comes right up to it shouting, swearing, fists in the air, I keep my cool and tell him just fix the fence and I’m not here to fall out with him, I don’t take one step back and kept eye contact all the time with my most stern face lol. He sees I haven’t moved and stops with a puzzled look of not sure what to do now. He splutters he’ll have it fixed in 2 days. 😂. 2 weeks later we have a complete fence, boy is in the garden loving life for the summer. We move house tomorrow and it won’t be our problem that but yes people are strange.
I like quoting big posts.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

When I was a kid I found a hole in the hedge and used to climb through it to play in our neighbors garden and knock on her kitchen door to ask her for biscuits. She got a fence shortly after.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I had a broken fence once.
Simon

Post by Simon »

In all seriousness, in my first house I was neighbour to a miserly older couple. That boundary was their's to maintain and a couple of the fence panels were falling down. The only way I could get it sorted in the end was to source, paint and fit new panels myself on the promise that they'd pay for them. It took weeks for them to write me the tiny cheque, and I wasn't exactly on £500 a day at the time. Ungrateful sods.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

A few houses ago we had a property with 3 others sharing the back garden boundary. Fences were all knackered so we decided to get it done.

Couple beside us were in their 80’s so they weren’t being asked, but couples on other two boundaries were similar ages to us, both with nice new cars (e-class etc) on their drives.

Told them we were doing it - used a neighbour a few doors up that we were friendly with who had given up his banking career to retire early and set up a charity to provide work for ex-cons. Told neighbours we would cover all of the cost and not ask them to contribute, but asked that they make a nominal donation to the (very small, new and not well known) charity. They both thought this was a great idea.

The guys did a great job, and got paid plus a cash tip in each of their hands.

Sent an update to both neighbours confirming job done and thanking them for making a donation.

8 months later checked with charity owner - £0 received from either party. :?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I had the opposite thankfully - our neighbours house was empty as they'd moved to Singapore, their fence blew down with some of ours too.

I got the company looking at ours to do a quote for theirs too and then managed to track them down. Two emails back and forth later working it out and they'd sent a cheque To me.
Barry

Post by Barry »

The fence my house backs up to needs replacing, but I know that my neighbour got nowhere when he tried getting them to cough up for his portion of the boundary. Their garden is a total mess, the dogs get the run of the patio, the rest is a jungle. I'm resigned to having to do it myself but I'm not letting them off at least admitting to my face they have no intention of getting involved.
BenP
Currently Driving: Mercedes GLC250
Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium

Post by BenP »

I’ve got loads more stories about my old neighbour. 😂
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We seem to straddle the stories.

Have replaced the fences on all three sides of the garden.

To the left agreed to take half when we offered.

Bottom didn't care and didn't want to contribute, so we paid. Owner is a bit of a pain. He's got the longer garden (compared to ours, at some point there was a back road between the properties and his side got the extra space. Same along the entire road) and uses the back quarter as a big rubbish pile. So we went for the tallest standard fence we could get.

Right didn't want any money, even though we offered several times.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »