Taking the knee

Orange Cola

Re: Taking the knee

Post by Orange Cola »

[mention]Broccers[/mention] Overreaction or justified sacking?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-22246694
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Orange Cola wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:17 pm @Broccers Overreaction or justified sacking?

Is this a question lad?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Broccers wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:20 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:17 pm @Broccers Overreaction or justified sacking?

Is this a question lad?
Yes.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Orange Cola wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:15 pm
Broccers wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Is this a question lad?
Yes.
I'm not an employment lawyer but anything people do in their own time wouldn't be something you can be sacked for in my view. Lets see what the tributors say.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Seems a bit silly, not quite sure how that would stand up in court.

Surely what you do outside of work is none of your employers business as long as you’re not doing anything which could be directly linked to your work, ie a well known public figure who is linked to a brand, you were wearing a company uniform while doing so, or were using your work time to do something you shouldn’t be doing.

I guess it depends on whatever code of conduct you agreed to when signing your employment contract.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:13 am I guess it depends on whatever code of conduct you agreed to when signing your employment contract.
You're bang on there. I would imagine being involved with a plane dragging a message which is very similar to the one being banded about freely all over the place wouldnt be in your contract.. It's very simply a different phrase.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Interesting to see that Sir Keir and I are in political agreement. Not something I could ever have said about Corbyn - its almost as if he could be an electable Labour leader... :shock:

Opportun[e]/[istic] timing for Starmer given the UK offshoot has now started pumping out exactly the kind of anti-Semitic content he is trying to distance himself from...
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

A rant relating to a separate matter but totally on point.

Its also why the "you don't need to do x, y or z if you don't want to / no-one is forcing you, what's your problem" is a complete falsity. Cancel culture and noisy opprobrium from the 'perma-offended' and the clever new doctrine of "silence is violence" will see to that.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, cancel culture doesn’t exist. It’s just something shitty people complain about when someone points out they’re being shitty.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

So the de-platforming of right of centre speakers is British universities is not a thing?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

De platforming and cancel culture aren’t the same thing.

Cancel culture suggests that the person is completely unable to do anything after they’re cancelled which isn’t the case. In fact a lot of people hit a fairly lucrative spot of increased fame after. See Lawrence Fox.

De platforming is the decision of the people who choose to not have the people talk. It doesn’t affect anything outside of that.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

I accept de-platforming is not the whole of cancel culture but it is a method designed to achieve an end - i.e. expunging a person with 'incorrect' views from voicing them. Its censoriousness is a key part of cancel culture which additionally seeks to impose vengence by sackings or being exiled from society.

Whether or not it is successful or not is not relevant. Fox for example has most certainly been a target in the same way as many others.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Of course it’s relevant.

It’s a tactic to turn a person who can’t take responsibility for the consequences of their actions into a victim.

Oh no, I’ve publicly shouted my terrible opinions and now no one wants to talk to me. I must’ve been cancelled by those nasty sjw snowflakes, it can’t possibly be my fault for choosing to talk shit in public.

Now to hit the interview and political panel show circuit to continue to say shitty things while complaining that I’m being censored.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:43 am Yeah, cancel culture doesn’t exist. It’s just something shitty people complain about when someone points out they’re being shitty.
No, in their opinion they are being shitty. Just because someone has an opinion or a view on something doesn’t mean it’s correct.

If that were true, skimmed and semi skimmed milk drinkers would all be walked into the ocean for spiritual cleansing.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 am
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:43 am Yeah, cancel culture doesn’t exist. It’s just something shitty people complain about when someone points out they’re being shitty.
No, in their opinion they are being shitty. Just because someone has an opinion or a view on something doesn’t mean it’s correct.

If that were true, skimmed and semi skimmed milk drinkers would all be walked into the ocean for spiritual cleansing.

Dave!
What would you do to Almond Milk drinkers Dave!? :shock:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Almond, coconut milk are all fine to me.

I don’t think semi skimmed almond milk could even be a thing ?

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 am

Dave!
Right, my point is that when someone expresses an opinion and other people react in a way they didn’t (or often did) expect. They react with the OMG cancel culture, I’m being attacked nonsense.

It’s a scam to pull sympathy from a certain group of fragile people who think the whole world is against them despite getting everything they want 😉
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

No matter what you say/think/do/want, there’s always a smartarse phrase to describe how it’s wrong, no wonder people feel more and more isolated.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Do people feel more isolated though?

Personally I think that this leak of more fringe/extreme viewpoints into mainstream discourse happens because the extremists who may once have been isolated in small groups can join together online. Once the group gets to a certain size it gains attention just due to the amount of noise it makes and more moderate people who may agree with some things they say start following along with them as well.
An absolute unit