The amount of speed enforcement currently

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: The amount of speed enforcement currently

Post by Jobbo »

My speed awareness course is now going to be online. I'll have to bring my own tea and biscuits. I wonder how little participation I can get away with?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:10 pm My speed awareness course is now going to be online. I'll have to bring my own tea and biscuits. I wonder how little participation I can get away with?
GG.

Post by GG. »

FFS. Just got a NIP in the post. 37 in a 30 whilst dropping my car off a 9e. Didn't even notice the van (noted to be 'manned equipment' and I'm sure I'd have notice a bloke pointing a laser in high vis). First one in 16 years of driving.

Hopefully I will be offered a course but the wording on the documents is a mess - it states they are "at the discretion of the Police based on criteria and eligibility" and then later if the driver does not receive it as an option "they have NOT met the criteria". Those statements are mutually exclusive.

This is proving to be a shit week!

ETA: Just looked at the pictures - he was hidden behind a bush. Sneaky fucker.
mik

Post by mik »

Parked legally? Needs to be.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Possible but the van would have had to have been perpendicular to the road I was travelling on. Not sure what angle they can get you from whilst in a van.

Having looked at the photos he could have been stood by the side of the road but concealed behind the hedgerow and got me from behind. Even in high vis I probably wouldn't have notice him behind me.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

GG. wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:14 pm FFS. Just got a NIP in the post. 37 in a 30 whilst dropping my car off a 9e. Didn't even notice the van (noted to be 'manned equipment' and I'm sure I'd have notice a bloke pointing a laser in high vis). First one in 16 years of driving.

Hopefully I will be offered a course but the wording on the documents is a mess - it states they are "at the discretion of the Police based on criteria and eligibility" and then later if the driver does not receive it as an option "they have NOT met the criteria". Those statements are mutually exclusive.

This is proving to be a shit week!

ETA: Just looked at the pictures - he was hidden behind a bush. Sneaky fucker.
Course offer is usually limit+10%+9mph, so in a 30 up to 42mph so you should get the offer of a course. I’ve just done one last week, still no actual courses so all done online through zoom
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I had my only 3 points at a similar speed (36 in a 30) in my Boxster, caught by a man with a camera hiding down an oblique side road in the Worcestershire countryside. I bet they target all Porsches :lol:

Have noticed the amount of speed enforcement has gone down substantially now there's more traffic on the roads :roll:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:x
Last edited by duncs500 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:52 am I bet they target all Porsches :lol:
I guess you have both proved that their tactic is a legitimate one! :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

There are two galling things about it really.

The first is that they deliberately target roads with ambiguous speed limits - where he was positioned was a very wide road with centre median hatching on a long stretch with no speed limit signs whatsoever and coming out of a village where the equivalent road in on the other side was a 40. Basically they're relying on the "if it has streetlights and no other signage it is a 30" rule catching people out. If there had been a 30 sign anywhere within a mile of where he was I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been doing 37.

Secondly I was in a convoy of two other cars all travelling at the same speed - I unfortunately just happened to be at the back where he could get a clear reading. :roll:
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I've just noticed that a set of 3 speed cameras on a small stretch of road near me have been sneakily replaced by a pair of average speed cameras. Presumably to catch the people that "camera surfed" (i.e. slowed down for the timing marks and then sped back up again).
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Camera surfed :lol:

There really is a word for everything these days, what a time to be alive haha
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:38 am Basically they're relying on the "if it has streetlights and no other signage it is a 30" rule catching people out.
You'll get a bit bored of them hammering this home on a speed awareness course. I'm pleased to say that I still said the limit was 60 when presented with an image of exactly that sort of wide road without any buildings which had some streetlights on it - fortunately you can't easily fail the speed awareness course :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Reading this thread reminded me that it's nearly 10 years since I got done for 59 in a 50. It was right at the beginning of my road trip through Wales, to Muki-land and Andy Bond land. in the e46 and I dug out the article I wrote about it. It made me really appreciate the effort [mention]SSO[/mention] puts into his articles.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Simon

Post by Simon »

Don't wanna be 'that guy', but 'regularly spaced streetlights and no other signage' has always been 30, and I remember it being taught when I learnt to drive 25 years ago. It's a simple rule to remember and it's what I taught my wife when she was learning last year.

Don't see any other signage and there are streetlights? It's 30 then.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

Easy in theory, not so in practice - this was the road I was nicked on (about 400m prior to this google street view image). Please let me know what the speed limit is through that long stretch over the bridge where there is no street lighting (until after the next mini roundabout and the 40 signs beyond) and no signage of any limits?

https://goo.gl/maps/ZKQH7fvwaQa8Mg4L9

The answer the police would tell you'd I'd expect is 30, not 60, but it has neither signage nor streetlights so legally, it should be 60 (and if I'd have got a NIP in that area, I'd be taking it to court). The areas all around there are 40 roads, which was why I reverted back to doing 40. Basically the signage is poor. If they want people to do 30, put a fucking sign up, rather than hide behind bushes trying to nick people on a stretch of road you know is ambiguous.
Last edited by GG. on Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Would you do 40 down that side road to the right?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Again - good question isn't it.

It has neither speed limit signage nor lights. Legally I'd have thought there's a very good argument that defaults to a 60 limit.

I'm not arguing you'd do that down there, clearly - only that relying on street lights meaning a 30 and not bothering with any other signage will inevitably leave gaps where the limit is unclear.

Positioning speed enforcement in those places is clearly cynical and if it was about improving safety because there had been incidents, they would just put up proper signage of the limit and speed camera signs - but clearly that isn't what its about...
Simon

Post by Simon »

GG. wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm Easy in theory, not so in practice - this was the road I was nicked on (about 400m prior to this google street view image). Please let me know what the speed limit is through that long stretch over the bridge where there is no street lighting (until after the next mini roundabout and the 40 signs beyond) and no signage of any limits?

https://goo.gl/maps/ZKQH7fvwaQa8Mg4L9

The answer the police would tell you'd I'd expect is 30, not 60, but it has neither signage nor streetlights so legally, it should be 60 (and if I'd have got a NIP in that area, I'd be taking it to court). The areas all around there are 40 roads, which was why I reverted back to doing 40. Basically the signage is poor. If they want people to do 30, put a fucking sign up, rather than hide behind bushes trying to nick people on a stretch of road you know is ambiguous.
Unfortunately as I live just 2 minutes around the corner from there, and therefore travel down there several times a week and also know where the coppers hang out I know it's a 30. Sorry! In fact, I was on that bit of road just 40 minutes ago! The 40 sign is just the other side of the bridge you're looking in your clip and you've just gone through a 30 village and didn't see any other signage that it had changed.

The coppers always hang out on the mini roundabout 400m behind your image above, back towards the village shops.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Nic wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:24 pm Would you do 40 down that side road to the right?
That road to the right is a dead-end close with housing on it. And actually was used for access on the M23 smart motorway works over the last few months...