The amount of speed enforcement currently

Mito Man

Re: The amount of speed enforcement currently

Post by Mito Man »

I had my first experience of the new smart motorway in action on the M20 today. 5 miles before the incident the gantry said “obstruction ahead” and dropped the speed to 50 :roll:
A mile later it put a red X above lane one and dropped the speed to 30 :roll:
About 1.5 miles before the incident traffic was crawling at 5-15 mph. Get to the incident and see a van broken down in lane 1 and 2 police cars behind it supervising the van driver who is changing his flat tyre.

£100 million that cost for something that a 24 months ago would have caused zero inconvenience for traffic but now every breakdown will cause a traffic jam, can’t imagine how bad it will be once traffic goes back to normal :roll:

Also a further :roll: for all the panic braking under every fecking gantry as most have cameras.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:03 pm Oh god here we go. 40% of new cars are auto, twice as much as in 2007. 2020 stats not out and may potentially be skewed anyway.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-in ... automatic/
thats what I found too. I thought a good way to see a typical representation was to look at the cars for sale on autotrader:

New and used: manual 260k auto 206k
New cars only: manual 20k auto 30k

It looks like there’s still more manual cars out there, but autos will catch up before too long.

Unless SD can prove otherwise?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I’m going to save this argument for September when my (manual) JCW arrives.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You bought a manual :shock: :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Seconds out, round two.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:59 am I’m going to save this argument for September when my (manual) JCW arrives.
No need, it’s over and you’re wrong.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Oh FFS Rich what is the matter with you :( Yeah ok there are still loads of manuals on the road. But autos are growing ever more popular, up something like 65% or more since 2008. My comment was an ill-researched retort to your M5-related comment, which itself was completely unrelated to my point about driving standards in recent months. I should have known better that you’re the kind of guy who, once he’s dug up the past, needs a thoroughly well-researched response to really tie him down.

Being able to remember quotes and comments from years ago doesn’t help conversation. Why the hate? The M5 story was related to my desire to drive a car to its potential, not just pootle around. Maybe it makes you feel better to reply in that way, I don’t know, maybe you hope to elicit a response. Maybe it’s the way the forum needs to function but regardless, it’s all a bit pathetic.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:16 pm My comment was an ill-researched retort
apology accepted.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:59 pm I had my first experience of the new smart motorway in action on the M20 today. 5 miles before the incident the gantry said “obstruction ahead” and dropped the speed to 50 :roll:
About 1.5 miles before the incident traffic was crawling at 5-15 mph. Get to the incident and see a van broken down in lane 1 and 2 police cars behind it supervising the van driver who is changing his flat tyre.

£100 million that cost for something that a 24 months ago would have caused zero inconvenience for traffic but now every breakdown will cause a traffic jam, can’t imagine how bad it will be once traffic goes back to normal :roll:

Also a further :roll: for all the panic braking under every fecking gantry as most have cameras.
Agreed. Now I have CarPlay it’s obvious how many people have Waze running too; before every speed camera alert they slow down 😄
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:34 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:59 pm I had my first experience of the new smart motorway in action on the M20 today. 5 miles before the incident the gantry said “obstruction ahead” and dropped the speed to 50 :roll:

Agreed. Now I have CarPlay it’s obvious how many people have Waze running too; before every speed camera alert they slow down 😄
What carplay addon unit did you buy in the end?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It’s from https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/ - UK company and they give decent support, so I was happy to pay £100 for than the Chinese Joyeauto.

You have NTG5 I think; I have NTG4.7 so your car wouldn’t use an identical device. Think it’s cheaper for NTG5.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Never had CarPlay before, will have it in the Mini. Looking forward to having a play with it.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

CarPlay is the perfect solution - I used the satnav once on the golf and it was just non-intuitive and clunky. CarPlay just works like whatever system you’re used to using on your phone already - perfect. Then chuck in Spotify etc and it’s even better!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

So if I start Sygic on my phone, the car’s map screen changes to the Sygic map one assumes?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The app has to support CarPlay to work.

If it does, the car screen basically mirrors the phone screen in a simplified easy to use way.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am It’s from https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/ - UK company and they give decent support, so I was happy to pay £100 for than the Chinese Joyeauto.

You have NTG5 I think; I have NTG4.7 so your car wouldn’t use an identical device. Think it’s cheaper for NTG5.
Cheers. Ironically last year I picked up a C class/GLC facelift NTG unit off ebay that supports android auto/carplay, but i have to fiddle a bit with the car wiring to make it work, so its sat in its box for months as I just CBA to do it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:02 pm So if I start Sygic on my phone, the car’s map screen changes to the Sygic map one assumes?
The CarPlay home screen will show the apps available - you start it through the car, rather than on your phone before getting in the car. Dead easy though.

I’d never heard of Sygic so I’ve downloaded it, and NavMii, because I’m trying out which nav app I prefer. Currently Waze except I don’t like the very childish graphics. So I’m mostly using Google Maps with aerial photos layer selected.
Last edited by Jobbo on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:53 pm mostly using Google Maps with aerial photos later selected.
this. It’s so familiar that it ”just works”.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Just tried Sygic while picking up my stepdaughter. It looks nice and clear but it won’t stick at the zoom level you choose; incredibly irritating! Tried Waze again but I think the traffic layer on Google Maps is the clearest, and probably has best data. Apple Maps is probably preferable for basic mapping to Google though, since Google’s map layer has quite washed-out colours.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Cheers Simon. Will have to have a play with it. Going to be a long 2 months or so...