The amount of speed enforcement currently

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The amount of speed enforcement currently

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm Just the speed awareness course to do, after all that. Cheaper than a ticket and no points on my licence so win.

There were a couple of shitty venues close to me I could choose, or a nice Hilton country hotel about 10 miles away. You can do it at any venue so why not pick the nice one? :lol:
are they still running the courses with C19?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

In the last week on my bike I’ve noticed that driving standards appear to have slipped massively during lockdown. I lost count of how many near-things I’ve had when cycling through villages recently. Way more than its normal to expect for the volume of traffic.
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:57 pm In the last week on my bike I’ve noticed that driving standards appear to have slipped massively during lockdown. I lost count of how many near-things I’ve had when cycling through villages recently. Way more than its normal to expect for the volume of traffic.
Having got back out on a bike I thought it had been a slip over years, not more immediate. I keep being overtaken in the most ridiculous of places, had there been an oncoming car I’m pretty sure the person over taking me would have just swerved straight into the side of me sat on their left.

Each one has been on a blind bend (different ones) with nice long well sighted passing point after the bend. I’ve also recognised a few cars as locals so it’s not like they’re unfamiliar with the roads!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I think it’s just the sheer volume of bikes on the road since lockdown, it’s crazy round here - hundreds of Lycra clad muppets all over the place on the road.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’m sticking to the back lanes where I’m rarely seeing cars and other people but you’re right, the MAMILs are definitely turned up to 11 at the moment.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm Just the speed awareness course to do, after all that. Cheaper than a ticket and no points on my licence so win.

There were a couple of shitty venues close to me I could choose, or a nice Hilton country hotel about 10 miles away. You can do it at any venue so why not pick the nice one? :lol:
are they still running the courses with C19?
I've booked in for a physical course on 11 August. There have been some courses cancelled and they've been running online courses but you can't specifically opt for one of those; you have to have been booked on a course which has been cancelled. The deadlines for booking and attending haven't changed so online courses have been necessary I guess. Seems a bit cushy. I hope the nice hotel one I'm booked on is running; they're bound to offer decent tea and biscuits :lol:
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

[/quote]

I hope the nice hotel one I'm booked on is running; they're bound to offer decent tea and biscuits :lol:
[/quote]

You make a valid point re. the tea and biscuits. Must start driving around a few mph over the limit! ;)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Still a bit early to be stuck in a room full of strangers who are financially incentivised to not miss it imo. I did a (work) course just before lock down and some fat fuck was coughing all the way through it, everyone else was squirming trying to get away from the guy and it was getting awkward.

I went and had a word with the course leader and (after he told me it was fine and the guy didn’t have a temp because he’d checked with a laser thermometer) I left.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm Still a bit early to be stuck in a room full of strangers who are financially incentivised to not miss it imo. I did a (work) course just before lock down and some fat fuck was coughing all the way through it, everyone else was squirming trying to get away from the guy and it was getting awkward.

I went and had a word with the course leader and (after he told me it was fine and the guy didn’t have a temp because he’d checked with a laser thermometer) I left.
It's 6 weeks away, I'll take a mask and a 5l container full of hand sanitiser and sit far away from anyone. Near the tea and biscuits.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:31 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm Still a bit early to be stuck in a room full of strangers who are financially incentivised to not miss it imo. I did a (work) course just before lock down and some fat fuck was coughing all the way through it, everyone else was squirming trying to get away from the guy and it was getting awkward.

It's 6 weeks away, I'll take a mask and a 5l container full of hand sanitiser and sit far away from anyone. Near the tea and biscuits.
You might want to reconsider your choice of location then :D
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:34 pm

You don't know what I'll be doing to the tea and biscuits... I'm sure I can put anyone off coming near :twisted:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:37 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:34 pm

You don't know what I'll be doing to the tea and biscuits... I'm sure I can put anyone off coming near :twisted:
I shall refrain from quoting law to a lawyer, but remember they can chuck you out of the course which costs you the fee and gains you the points. So whatever you're thinking of doing to the tea and biscuits, do it discretely. Although that might defeat the point.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I await tea and biscuit gate.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

There won’t be any tea and biscuits because covid19 risk assessment, take a flask and some custard creams just incase......
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Standards of driving seemed to have dropped even further around here of late. I can only assume people have forgotten how to drive properly, or at all.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:13 pm Standards of driving seemed to have dropped even further around here of late. I can only assume people have forgotten how to drive properly, or at all.
Maybe they weren’t taught the optimum gear change methods by a rally driver?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:13 pm Standards of driving seemed to have dropped even further around here of late. I can only assume people have forgotten how to drive properly, or at all.
Clearly you need educating as to how most people’s cars change gear these days.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 pm
Clearly you need educating as to how most people’s cars change gear these days.
Oooh, educating!!! Tell me teacher, are there more automatic or manual cars in the uk?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Oh god here we go. 40% of new cars are auto, twice as much as in 2007. 2020 stats not out and may potentially be skewed anyway.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-in ... automatic/
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

To be fair I've been to Hull and back, Brum and back this week and not witnessed any. It was all lovely and chilled out which was a treat.