The amount of speed enforcement currently

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

The amount of speed enforcement currently

Post by Jobbo »

I've just received an NIP for last Saturday, overtook a car doing 40 in a 60 limit (straight for a mile, single carriageway wide enough for 4 cars but marked only with a centre line, got pinged at 69 which must have been the maximum speed I reached before slowing back down to 60. I did all that before I'd even seen the camera van which was at the other end of the mile straight.

There have been loads of other vans I've seen on motorway bridges all over the place; I'm now wondering if I may have been done for 78mph (on the cruise control) on the M5 last week, and whether I been done at about 50 below a random 40 limit on a gantry on an almost empty M5 last night. There is often so little traffic that you're almost bound to be targeted even if you're barely over the limit. Fortunately I've got a speed awareness course offer for Saturday but I may have to set the cruise control a few mph lower for the next 14 days :lol:

Oh, I don't begrudge the NIP I've received; I've regularly done well over 100 down that particular stretch when there's been more traffic. Ridiculous that enforcement is up when the risks are so much lower currently.
Nathan

Re: The amount of speed enforcement currently

Post by Nathan »

Shame though, especially given the standard of driving is atrocious at the moment.

I would have lost the front of my car yesterday had I been 2 seconds further down the road as a Polo cut the corner to enter the junction.

Then all these chavs are driving with immunity and easily found if you click through a few tags

https://www.instagram.com/forza_birmingham/
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

You're right about the standard of driving. Do these people drive around all the time and they have to be a bit more careful because of the other traffic, or have they taken to the quiet roads especially to demonstrate their idiocy?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Phone use too. Lots of essential texting on watsapp whilst driving.

I was stuck at green lights outside Solihull Police station yesterday because the Range in front was too busy on the phone.

When I go for a walk in the evening, I will see several drivers staring at *something* beneath the door line and then struggling to navigate an island with one hand.

No coincidence local plod social media has featured several strange accidents and girls cars on their roofs.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've just done 300 miles and it was lovely. Cruise control set at 74 mph and barely dropped the whole way. Roads reasonably quiet, A14 improvements are excellent, removing several awful pinch points on an east - west / west -east run.

Did see a couple of camera vans and few patrol cars, but no more than usual for that stretch. Thought I'd got done by a van a few weeks ago when I'd borrowed my mums car.
Cheers, Harry
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Warwickshire police are running a big 'cack down' on speed at the moment, I would expect that's in conjunction with other local forces and explains why you're seeing more of them out and about. I think it's specifically to target the increased speeds thanks to the roads being quieter.

Utter joke if you ask me because the bad drivers are still swanning around feeling they're the best in the world just because they don't speed :roll:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:59 pm Warwickshire police are running a big 'cack down' on speed at the moment, I would expect that's in conjunction with other local forces and explains why you're seeing more of them out and about. I think it's specifically to target the increased speeds thanks to the roads being quieter.

Utter joke if you ask me because the bad drivers are still swanning around feeling they're the best in the world just because they don't speed :roll:
North Yorkshire Fuzz have been doing this too.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Checking the FB page it appears there's cycling week safety campaign which is about keeping an eye and giving riders the right space whilst hinting at speed, Road Safety GB campaign is ongoing and a Slow Down Save Lives campaign is running too :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:16 am I've just received an NIP for last Saturday, overtook a car doing 40 in a 60 limit (straight for a mile, single carriageway wide enough for 4 cars but marked only with a centre line, got pinged at 69 which must have been the maximum speed I reached before slowing back down to 60. I did all that before I'd even seen the camera van which was at the other end of the mile straight.

There have been loads of other vans I've seen on motorway bridges all over the place; I'm now wondering if I may have been done for 78mph (on the cruise control) on the M5 last week, and whether I been done at about 50 below a random 40 limit on a gantry on an almost empty M5 last night. There is often so little traffic that you're almost bound to be targeted even if you're barely over the limit. Fortunately I've got a speed awareness course offer for Saturday but I may have to set the cruise control a few mph lower for the next 14 days :lol:

Oh, I don't begrudge the NIP I've received; I've regularly done well over 100 down that particular stretch when there's been more traffic. Ridiculous that enforcement is up when the risks are so much lower currently.
Sounds very similar to how I got caught a few years ago, camera van was parked next to the chevron corner sign at the end of about a mile of clearly sighted straight road so completely blended in
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I have noticed a lot of them recently, moaned about it 2 weeks ago. I may have to give my car a thorough wash later and risk having my front number plate which is only attached with crap double sided tape falling off. Whoops...
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:59 pm Warwickshire police are running a big 'cack down' on speed at the moment
The absolute shits
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

:lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

They've got to recoup revenue Jobbo.

I've been out near snake pass a lot in the evening recently as the roads are super quiet. It's like the TT blinking heck some people are absolutely flying, a bit of policing might save them from themselves but as you say sitting on a straight in your van is far more profitable.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Its the same round here, I've not been out much, but on the few occasions I've been on the A1 or city bypass, I've seen either vans in laybys or polis on the flyovers. I went to a small office for all day last week, on the way down they'd pulled someone over and they were still in the area when I headed home, so it must have been a very profitable day for them.

There's also been regular tweets in the last few weeks about dangerous speeding and how they're out to clamp down on it.

There's been a few test pilots done recently for eye watering speeds, but you can't help feel the majority are just easy pickings given how quiet the roads are.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I haven't been out much in the car (250 mils since lockdown) but I'm using the speed limiter a lot because it's just so quiet and EVERYONE else is speeding, it's easy to just go with the flow and end up getting zapped.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

The local police are tweeting about how it's so much easier to spot the baddies at the mo as they stand out more with less cars on the road.

They've done a lot of drug driving finds and loads with no insurance or whatever.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:48 am They've got to recoup revenue Jobbo.

I've been out near snake pass a lot in the evening recently as the roads are super quiet. It's like the TT blinking heck some people are absolutely flying, a bit of policing might save them from themselves but as you say sitting on a straight in your van is far more profitable.
I'm sure it's nothing to do with revenue, oh no, it's definitely because of all the people taking the opportunity to speed on empty roads. No sirree, definitely not a money-raiser :lol:

So blatant, isn't it? You do stand out even if you're just doing 75mph on the motorway because of the lack of traffic. Ironic because for the first 6-8 weeks of lockdown there was even less traffic and I didn't see any enforcement at all.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Simon wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:38 am The local police are tweeting about how it's so much easier to spot the baddies at the mo as they stand out more with less cars on the road.

They've done a lot of drug driving finds and loads with no insurance or whatever.
I’ve seen a few comical ones. Fortunately those who think they can flout the law are stupid enough to still go out when no one else is :lol:
tim

Post by tim »

There is more enforcement because it's needed - people have been massively taking the piss with driving standards.

As usual, people are stupid and ruin it for everyone.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Just the speed awareness course to do, after all that. Cheaper than a ticket and no points on my licence so win.

There were a couple of shitty venues close to me I could choose, or a nice Hilton country hotel about 10 miles away. You can do it at any venue so why not pick the nice one? :lol: