Taxing a newly acquired car at the end of a month

NotoriousREV

Re: Taxing a newly acquired car at the end of a month

Post by NotoriousREV »

Pre-lockdown I noticed that 2 of the cars that park on our street to drop their kids off at school still have their tax discs displayed. Given the state of both of them, I suspect they’ve just left them there rather than it being a nostalgia thing.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Taxed it from today. Noticed that the first road tax direct debit for the Merc which I bought towards the end of March came out of my account today - they haven't charged me for any days in March, so it seems the leeway does still exist, they just don't tell you and you can't know until they take the direct debit :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

For the love of god, how difficult is it to do simple stuff with the DVLA still.

All I need to do is change the bank account details for the vehicle tax on the three cars.

They seem to have devised a very cunning system whereby they can only take payment for this on the 1st of the month, but if you've paid this month's instalment, you need to wait until after the 1st of the next month to change it. By which point the next payment has gone through...

I actually managed to change one with the V5C today myself which basically set it up as a new payment and told me the car was currently untaxed. But of course that doesn't work with the Boxster because its not MOT'd. It is.

Camper van is another one which is now untaxed, has an MOT, but I can't do it online because its not got an MOT. So I either need to try to get through to the right team again on the phone or just pop to the post office.

They can't seem to do anything via their web chat system. Cos you know, that would be madness.

Fucking hell... DVLA can't setup new direct debits over the phone. At all. Either has to be the online system or post office.
Cheers,

Mike.