Holiday Refunds Thread

NotoriousREV

Re: Holiday Refunds Thread

Post by NotoriousREV »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:00 pm It’s an odd one, our household bills are £2300 a month.

Nearly £2800 if you include nursery, and some clubs Maxwell goes to.

No nursery now and also the £250 childcare before tax doodad the wife was getting.

Fuel bills are zero, electric is more but I’d say in total we are on about £2100 or so.

That’s with no credit card and all insurances are paid yearly. I can definitely see some people struggling but how necessarily I don’t know. Lots of stuff is all paid monthly now for most people.

Dave!
Don’t forget, it’s £2500 before tax, so closer to £2k take home.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Ahh I didn’t realise that.

I can completely see how it could be a struggle to even lose 20%. It wouldn’t surprise me if 20% a month slush fund each month isn’t above the national average quite comfortably.

I know up till my Dad retired they had a joint income of £2400 a month and they hardly lived the high life.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yep, £2500 is £2003 after tax according to Mr money savings expert, presumably because it’s April you’d be starting from 0 on year earnings so wouldn’t get too stung on higher rate tax from the rest of the years earnings? But that doesn’t include anything like pensions either.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:52 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 pm You know the furlough scheme covers your employer, not you? They’re obliged to pay your contracted salary. If an employer is only paying to the employee what they get from the government then they’re in breach of contract.
Many companies are not topping up meaning those on Furlough are only receiving the 80%

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... -furlough/

Your employer can choose to 'top up' the Government grant. It can pay your full salary while you're furloughed – but it's not obliged to do this. And indeed, many won't have the funds to be able to do this.

Would you have grounds - breach of Contract etc - to appeal this if you’re only receiving the 80%??

Edit - asking on behalf of two people I know currently on 6 weeks furlough who are only receiving 80% of their contracted salary. Cheers
Your employment contract hasn't changed unless you've agreed to some change to it. They should check what they signed up to when they agreed to being furloughed.

However, it is almost certain that there is no right in their employment contracts for the employer to furlough them. There was not even a concept of furloughing people (i.e. giving them no work and not paying them) in the UK until a month or so ago. The law hasn't changed; the employer is obliged to give work to the employee and obliged to pay them for their contracted hours without anything other than usual statutory deductions (PAYE, NI, student loan etc).

However, if the alternative is redundancy then maybe people will generally accept the 80%. Being furloughed now doesn't preclude redundancy later of course.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

In the construction industry you can be laid off without pay- I was in 2008 with all the financial crisis stuff. You can then claim statutory lay off pay, which from memory is around £40 a day, but limited to about 8-10 days a month or something, so basically fuck all. Having been in a situation where being laid off was a reality this is so much better, so when I was offered 80% of my wage or nothing, I was very happy to accept and couldn’t give a fuck what was in my contract before hand
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

jamcg wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:19 pm In the construction industry you can be laid off without pay- I was in 2008 with all the financial crisis stuff. You can then claim statutory lay off pay, which from memory is around £40 a day, but limited to about 8-10 days a month or something, so basically fuck all. Having been in a situation where being laid off was a reality this is so much better, so when I was offered 80% of my wage or nothing, I was very happy to accept and couldn’t give a fuck what was in my contract before hand
Is that because you were on a zero hours contract or there was some other provision in the employment contract entitling the employer to lay you off? If there's no contract provision and you're contracted for 40 hours then you're entitled to 40 hours' pay, whatever. It's up to the employer to sort out work or agree a variation to your terms.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:09 pm
jamcg wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:19 pm In the construction industry you can be laid off without pay- I was in 2008 with all the financial crisis stuff. You can then claim statutory lay off pay, which from memory is around £40 a day, but limited to about 8-10 days a month or something, so basically fuck all. Having been in a situation where being laid off was a reality this is so much better, so when I was offered 80% of my wage or nothing, I was very happy to accept and couldn’t give a fuck what was in my contract before hand
Is that because you were on a zero hours contract or there was some other provision in the employment contract entitling the employer to lay you off? If there's no contract provision and you're contracted for 40 hours then you're entitled to 40 hours' pay, whatever. It's up to the employer to sort out work or agree a variation to your terms.
40 hours contract, with entitlement to lay off if there’s no work. Hadn't happened before 2008, hasn’t happened since until now.....
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

jamcg wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:27 pm 40 hours contract, with entitlement to lay off if there’s no work. Hadn't happened before 2008, hasn’t happened since until now.....
In the contract, then - much like a zero hours contract there's no obligation on the employer to provide work in that case. This must be limited to specific industries though.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:45 pm Yep, £2500 is £2003 after tax according to Mr money savings expert, presumably because it’s April you’d be starting from 0 on year earnings so wouldn’t get too stung on higher rate tax from the rest of the years earnings? But that doesn’t include anything like pensions either.
Add into that BiK on cars and private medical and someone like me would be on a lot less than £2003
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:36 pm
dinny_g wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:52 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 pm You know the furlough scheme covers your employer, not you? They’re obliged to pay your contracted salary. If an employer is only paying to the employee what they get from the government then they’re in breach of contract.
Many companies are not topping up meaning those on Furlough are only receiving the 80%

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... -furlough/

Your employer can choose to 'top up' the Government grant. It can pay your full salary while you're furloughed – but it's not obliged to do this. And indeed, many won't have the funds to be able to do this.

Would you have grounds - breach of Contract etc - to appeal this if you’re only receiving the 80%??

Edit - asking on behalf of two people I know currently on 6 weeks furlough who are only receiving 80% of their contracted salary. Cheers
Your employment contract hasn't changed unless you've agreed to some change to it. They should check what they signed up to when they agreed to being furloughed.

However, it is almost certain that there is no right in their employment contracts for the employer to furlough them. There was not even a concept of furloughing people (i.e. giving them no work and not paying them) in the UK until a month or so ago. The law hasn't changed; the employer is obliged to give work to the employee and obliged to pay them for their contracted hours without anything other than usual statutory deductions (PAYE, NI, student loan etc).

However, if the alternative is redundancy then maybe people will generally accept the 80%. Being furloughed now doesn't preclude redundancy later of course.
Many thanks for the clarification - I think they have both ‘agreed’ to the 80% in their acceptance of the furlough.

But as has been mentioned- both are happy to take this over redundancy (for now as you say) and saving childcare costs more than makes up the shortfall.

Thanks again
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:06 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:37 pm Agree. I dont want a holiday for years after this, I'll never moan about being busy at work ever again :lol:
Be positive!

I can’t understand why people are morning about being furloughed; getting paid most of their salary while not needing to do any work is not going to happen often. Why not do all those things you’ve been putting off? The weather has been lovely.
Ill probably get 100 quid a week after tax, I'm not moaning, just like a routine to stop the slip into drink and drugs 🏆.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

This is what retirement will be like - perhaps it's worth bingeing now to keep that as short as possible :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:48 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:06 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:37 pm Agree. I dont want a holiday for years after this, I'll never moan about being busy at work ever again :lol:
Be positive!

I can’t understand why people are morning about being furloughed; getting paid most of their salary while not needing to do any work is not going to happen often. Why not do all those things you’ve been putting off? The weather has been lovely.
Ill probably get 100 quid a week after tax, I'm not moaning, just like a routine to stop the slip into drink and drugs 🏆.
You won’t be able to afford drinks or drugs...
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Retirement doesn't look like it's much fun.

You're not wrong Richard.👍
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Our household costs are about £1600 a month but we live frugally, apart from the food & booze! We have a few thousand above that to keep piling away but I would freely admit it's not going to be fun if we end up out of work and still furnishing £1600.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I got paid by HMRC today. 100 quid a week was a pretty accurate guess.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Broccers wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:50 pm I got paid by HMRC today. 100 quid a week was a pretty accurate guess.
You Furloughed yourself for £100 per week ?

ETA apologies, the situation is clearly getting to me as I appear to be engaging in daft conversations.
Last edited by Carlos on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Carlos wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:10 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:50 pm I got paid by HMRC today. 100 quid a week was a pretty accurate guess.
Can't invoice jobs we aren't doing or haven't been delivered. May as well get some money.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Broccers wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:11 pm
Can't invoice jobs we aren't doing or haven't been delivered. May as well get some money.
Fair enough, I'd assumed you were still able to see through stuff you had started or work in progress.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Carlos wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:14 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Fair enough, I'd assumed you were still able to see through stuff you had started or work in progress.
This time of year are shopping centres and the beauty business. 😭