Holiday Refunds Thread

duncs500

Re: Holiday Refunds Thread

Post by duncs500 »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:00 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:45 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:02 am Is anyone actually still going on holiday? What is happening? Are we allowed to go in the uk? Its all very confusing.
Not allowed in the UK at the moment. I have (perhaps foolishly) just booked a week in Cornwall for end of August, free cancellation until mid-Aug anyway, and I thought there's a relatively decent chance it'll be allowed by then unless there's a serious second wave.
Without the second wave how are you going to surf 🏄‍♂️ in Cornwall? :?:
:D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

There must be a second wave to surf...

The first wave is for ‘locals’ 😉
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I was due to be in Devon this week, but that was cancelled with a voucher and a 'Price Promise' for booking the same week next year. But next year isn't open for bookings, so that felt pointless. Last night we decided to book a replacement week in the same place in September instead. Fingers crossed there isn't a second lockdown, but I imagine the lack of people holidaying this year will make social distancing quite easy in the pubs and restaurants, provided they haven't gone bust.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've fallen in love with North Devon in recent years - I've been 4 times including twice last summer :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Oh, we're going to North Devon for a long weekend at the beginning of September too. I like it though it seems busier out of school holidays than the South Hams, which is my first love.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Would really love to get down to Cornwall this year to see the folks. I miss the beach and the lanes around where they live.

Sadly I think that everywhere down that end of the country is going to be utterly rammed at the first sign of being allowed to holiday. Full of those that haven't been able to visit their usual haunts and full of those that haven't been able to go abroad and so are looking to holiday over here.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Hopefully it helps the economy if everyone goes on holiday over here instead of mostly going abroad.

We aren’t going away at all this year now, just the odd overnight for days out and seeing relatives.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V8Granite wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:43 pm Hopefully it helps the economy if everyone goes on holiday over here instead of mostly going abroad.

We aren’t going away at all this year now, just the odd overnight for days out and seeing relatives.

Dave!
The trouble down there is the infrastructure. Places easily just lock up with people/traffic and it becomes awful. I've already seen tweets about busy beaches and people in the water despite no lifeguards on etc.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I drove past Camber Sands today, didn’t think much of it as it was only 16 degrees at 10am, the road from Dungeness to Rye is good fun to drive when it’s quiet and I took a bit of a diversion. Anyway luckily I was going westbound and the road was pretty clear but the traffic on the opposite direction was stationary for a good mile and half as everyone was waiting to turn into the few carparks :shock: The traffic jam was pretty constant stop start up to Hastings!
Genuinely reminded me Goodwood back in the bad years where they didn’t limit ticket sales and queues went on for miles.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 am Would really love to get down to Cornwall this year to see the folks. I miss the beach and the lanes around where they live.

Sadly I think that everywhere down that end of the country is going to be utterly rammed at the first sign of being allowed to holiday. Full of those that haven't been able to visit their usual haunts and full of those that haven't been able to go abroad and so are looking to holiday over here.
Traffic down is a bit of a worry, but surely it takes so long to get down there from any well populated area that people will prefer more accessible places for a day trip? Which just leaves the people with accommodation, which there is obviously a limit on.
Beany

Post by Beany »

duncs500 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 am Would really love to get down to Cornwall this year to see the folks. I miss the beach and the lanes around where they live.

Traffic down is a bit of a worry, but surely it takes so long to get down there from any well populated area that people will prefer more accessible places for a day trip? Which just leaves the people with accommodation, which there is obviously a limit on.
Oh my sweet summer child, never underestimate the self-serving behaviour of idiots

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Pretty much my experience. Just seeing that a McDonalds in Sutton has similar queues. What kind of fuck nugget would bother, if you’re half a mile away I can’t imagine you’ll be served for a good 4 hours!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Got some pics from chums in Scarbs, beaches were rammed in the day, and fucktons of empty glass, dirty nappies, etc left on the beach this evening.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Ah bless :lol:

Aug 2018 - see images for Porthcurno which is almost as far as you can go and mostly narrow lanes

And that was in a "normal" summer
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 pm Pretty much my experience. Just seeing that a McDonalds in Sutton has similar queues. What kind of fuck nugget would bother, if you’re half a mile away I can’t imagine you’ll be served for a good 4 hours!
McFucknuggets? I know, let's escape escape lockdown and reclaim our freedom by being stuck in a car in a queue for hours in the baking sun :?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:shock: Ah well, hopefully everyone will have got it out of their system by the beginning of September! It'll probably be pissing it down anyway...
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:37 pm I drove past Camber Sands today, didn’t think much of it as it was only 16 degrees at 10am, the road from Dungeness to Rye is good fun to drive when it’s quiet and I took a bit of a diversion. Anyway luckily I was going westbound and the road was pretty clear but the traffic on the opposite direction was stationary for a good mile and half as everyone was waiting to turn into the few carparks :shock: The traffic jam was pretty constant stop start up to Hastings!
Genuinely reminded me Goodwood back in the bad years where they didn’t limit ticket sales and queues went on for miles.
The road from Dungeness to Rye is bumpy fun 😂
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:37 pm I drove past Camber Sands today, didn’t think much of it as it was only 16 degrees at 10am, the road from Dungeness to Rye is good fun to drive when it’s quiet and I took a bit of a diversion. Anyway luckily I was going westbound and the road was pretty clear but the traffic on the opposite direction was stationary for a good mile and half as everyone was waiting to turn into the few carparks :shock: The traffic jam was pretty constant stop start up to Hastings!
Some nice roads at that part of Kent when it’s quiet.

I know someone v-max’d his Corrado VR6 on A2070 between Ashford and Hamstreet :D
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:28 am
The road from Dungeness to Rye is bumpy fun 😂
It’s almost been entirely resurfaced.