Holiday Refunds Thread

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Holiday Refunds Thread

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mulling over whether to go to Cornwall for a week in August. Can't decide whether the risk of it being mental busy is worth it. Alternative is the parents stay with us for a week, but it would be nice to get away from the feckin house for a few days!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I'm off the last week of July but we're going to Staycation which will be very similar to normal life at the moment with two exceptions:

1. I can BBQ every day if the weather's nice

2. I can drink during the day because, well, I'm on holiday... :lol:

Back to hotel prices, my BIL sent me a link to a regular, run of the mill hotel in Kilarney offering a family room in July for €4500 for a week... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

We were supposed to be going to wales next week but cancelled it a couple of weeks ago with wales lagging behind England with their relaxation of the rules.

Didn’t seem much point going if we can’t go out anywhere to eat / drink.

Turned out a good choice as pubs / restaurants aren’t opening until early august there now.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:49 am I'm off the last week of July but we're going to Staycation which will be very similar to normal life at the moment with two exceptions:

1. I can BBQ every day if the weather's nice

2. I can drink during the day because, well, I'm on holiday... :lol:

Back to hotel prices, my BIL sent me a link to a regular, run of the mill hotel in Kilarney offering a family room in July for €4500 for a week... :lol:
Dinny, you may not be aware that staycation simply means holidaying in your own country rather than going abroad. It’s an awful word, but if you’ve listened to some advice to staycation, you may be unduly limiting yourself 😃
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It can also mean a holiday of day trips while staying in your own home no?

At least it did before Covid... :lol:

2 weeks out so started the ball rolling with Easyjet - as expected, the flight is not cancelled so no refund is available. So going to re-book for Berlin or Barcelona next year. This was a big family holiday with my 2 brothers and their families etc but Maspalomas is not a place we'd to on our own.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

We're still on for Iceland next month. Downside is that we have to have a mandatory covid swab test upon landing at £57.00 each. We were able to shift the insurance forwards too at no cost, so at least we're still covered should things flare up again. Every company involved has been great in moving the dates, from easyjet, Airbnb and the car hire co. All moved for free with the exception of Wizzair who charged us €35 each to move the dates of the flights home as they never really stopped flying out of Iceland. Was still cheaper than the excess though.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

We're down in Cornwall for a week from Saturday after findng a decent price on a holiday cottage. I think we'll be keeping a fairly low profile given the Cornish are being a bit 'anti-grockle' at the moment. Hopefully that will have died down a bit.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mr_jon wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:06 pm We're down in Cornwall for a week from Saturday after findng a decent price on a holiday cottage. I think we'll be keeping a fairly low profile given the Cornish are being a bit 'anti-grockle' at the moment. Hopefully that will have died down a bit.
How far down Jon? Keep us posted on how it goes please.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

We're in St. Blazey this time as our usual place had been booked up. Currently in Honiton, Devon, as our Prem Inn stop-off to split the journey up. Honiton locals a grumpy lot and social distancing poorly done, if at all.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:53 pm
mr_jon wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:06 pm We're down in Cornwall for a week from Saturday after findng a decent price on a holiday cottage. I think we'll be keeping a fairly low profile given the Cornish are being a bit 'anti-grockle' at the moment. Hopefully that will have died down a bit.
We’ve just come back from 12 days in Crantock.
The businesses and anyone who has a job will be happy to see you.
Pick a big beach like Crantock and you’ve got loads of space. Even though the car Park was full by 10am last Saturday we still sat about 50 metres from the next family, and could have been half a mile away if we wanted!
031A72D0-60D1-433A-9312-EB9C862F4950.jpeg
031A72D0-60D1-433A-9312-EB9C862F4950.jpeg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Gwaredd wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:54 am We're still on for Iceland next month...
Wizz Air have just canceled the flight. No reason given. Re-booked with easyjet for the next morning. Bad news is that they've only refunded half the price we paid back in Feb. Call the customer line at £1.95 per minute they say. Fuck off I reply, lodge a complaint and request a chargeback on my credit card. Wankers. The Hungarian Ryanair.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Jimexpl wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:09 pm
Pick a big beach like Crantock and you’ve got loads of space. Even though the car Park was full by 10am last Saturday we still sat about 50 metres from the next family, and could have been half a mile away if we wanted!

Cheers, Crantock is nice. Magic Seaweed shows a massive 1ft swell for the whole of the coming week so we'll probably just stay on the South Coast this holiday, which is set to be warmer. Back in Oct so Constantine et al are the usual destination.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:55 pm
Jimexpl wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Cheers, Crantock is nice. Magic Seaweed shows a massive 1ft swell for the whole of the coming week so we'll probably just stay on the South Coast this holiday, which is set to be warmer. Back in Oct so Constantine et al are the usual destination.
Thats the issue with Crantock, nowhere to park. We're staying on west pentire this time as a go between. Lots of moaning and grumbling about tourists still going on I see which is a bit short sighted imo.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I'm off next week and would really like a trip to the seaside but I'm torn about whether it's a good idea. Mini-Dinny loves swimming in the sea but with the beaches of the south coast so rammed, I don't want to be adding to the crowds.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:42 am I'm off next week and would really like a trip to the seaside but I'm torn about whether it's a good idea. Mini-Dinny loves swimming in the sea but with the beaches of the south coast so rammed, I don't want to be adding to the crowds.
I bet there are plenty of beaches which aren't nearly so bad - just don't go to the obvious well known ones.

Although Northumberland probably isn't where you were thinking of...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, we live on an island ffs, and a massive one at that. It’s always a bit odd when one section of a beach is packed but you can drive 2 miles down and it’s empty.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Mito, Camber Sands is fairly local to you - why is it so popular? It's a bit featureless, has some nasty rip currents and it isn't that easy to get to but it's always packed.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I often wonder the same, can’t just be the sand as other areas with sandy beaches such as Ramsgate or Margate don’t get nearly as busy round here. Must be the thousands of mobile homes.

It’s a good example too, drive down a few miles towards New Romney and you also have extremely large quiet beach with large sandy patches if you want. Much better food too around that area.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

People seem to love going where everyone else goes. Very strange.

If I want to go an relax on a beach I’ll go to wherever everyone else isn’t :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I find the mobile homes a bit odd as there’s a place by Hythe that’s advertising them at £115,000. £115k to spend a few weeks per year in a trailer on a grass carpark flanked by other trailers. That would buy you a lot of nice holidays, or a nice flat close to the sea in the SE.