Holiday Refunds Thread

dinny_g

Re: Holiday Refunds Thread

Post by dinny_g »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:11 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:41 pm Flights switched from Gran Canaria to Barcelona next May.

Apart from the 2 hour hold on the phone, pretty easy. And no issues with timings (outbound flight is On Saturday... :shock: ) and no charges.

I’ve ended up paying £1500 for probably £250 worth of flights but at least we didn’t need to write off the money
Is that Barcelona or Girona ;)
Barcelona Terminal 2 ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Now, onto Hotel Recommendations for Barcelona ??

The two I have - the Mirama and the Pullman Skipper - are booked
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:46 pm It’s a good example too, drive down a few miles towards New Romney and you also have extremely large quiet beach with large sandy patches if you want. Much better food too around that area.
Might try this at the weekend. Where would you stop specifically and any recommendations for food?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am
Mito Man wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:46 pm It’s a good example too, drive down a few miles towards New Romney and you also have extremely large quiet beach with large sandy patches if you want. Much better food too around that area.
Might try this at the weekend. Where would you stop specifically and any recommendations for food?
I'd suggest Rye for food. Winchelsea is nice too, and the beach becomes sandy as the tide goes out.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Great - thanks!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rye is lovely but I usually just get fish and chips by the sea :lol:

A place I really enjoy is “the snack shack” at Dungeness - it’s all fresh seafood caught by the fishermen there, and the fried potatoes are addictive. Check before on their Facebook page if they’re open as it depends on what they’ve caught out at sea the night before. You really need to get there before 12:30 too as it gets very busy on warm days.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Interesting developments to Spain...

I reckon if my trip was in a week or two, I would have been able to get a refund!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The usual making it up on the fly.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Or reacting to the latest developments??

Damned if you and damned if you don’t - if travel bans remained for us when the rest of Europe opened up for holidays, the government would be criticised...

Allow UK citizens to continue to return from a place with a significant spike without quarantine, the Government would be criticised.,.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

IMO thinking about going on holiday abroad at the moment is both selfish and stupid. Stay local and take care of your family and have consideration for other people.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Abroad just seems too risky at the moment. If by some small chance you do get Covid whilst in another country you’ll end up stuck where ever you are, the airport won’t let you fly, I can’t see any hotel letting you back, you’ll have no insurance, etc... too much risk.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

McSwede wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:19 pm IMO thinking about going on holiday abroad at the moment is both selfish and stupid. Stay local and take care of your family and have consideration for other people.
I saw a mutual friend, formerly of this parish is in Greece this week. He's having a great time but I suspect that if it was me, my anxiety would be through the roof and I wouldn't have fun.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

McSwede wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:19 pm IMO thinking about going on holiday abroad at the moment is both selfish and stupid. Stay local and take care of your family and have consideration for other people.
I think that's a bit harsh, some people psychologically need to get away and relax. If you follow the government advice, and you don't mind the fact that you could be randomly quarantined if you're unlucky, then crack on as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not doing it because the wife's pregnant and I don't want to get quarantined due to work, but otherwise I'd probably consider it. For sure I'd be needing it if we hadn't fairly recently moved somewhere altogether more pleasant to be locked down than where we used to live.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Bit surprised there’s been an outbreak at a caravan park :?
How about not having a sig at all?
tim

Post by tim »

I finally got my refund (via an MBNA chargeback) for my cancelled Easter holidays RyanAir flights today.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

I really need to use up some annual leave so thinking of taking a week off at the end of August. I was thinking about going abroad somewhere but I wouldn't be surprised if in another four weeks the situation has worsened in a lot of Europe, so will probably just stay here.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:41 pm
I saw a mutual friend, formerly of this parish is in Greece this week. He's having a great time but I suspect that if it was me, my anxiety would be through the roof and I wouldn't have fun.
Likewise, we were supposed to be going to Greece next week but I'm happy to have cancelled it.
Left over crest; tightens.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Had four holidays planned for this year, booked everything in Jan. Cancelled all of them.

Although I'm getting slightly pissed off with staying at home as I'm used to doing a bit of travelling every year, for me it's too early. Rich B comes up with some very good points if you catch C19 when abroad.

As for the people whining that they are having to quarantine/come back early/cancel their trips they recently booked, they can fuck off. They knew (or should of should have known) the risks when they committed to taking the holiday.
Oui, je suis un motard.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

I suppose it shows how desperate other countries must be for tourism cash, to allow UK people in without the 14 day quarantine.

Still rising here in Victoria - second page:
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoi ... ViOWYyOCJ9
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The "Avoid all but Necessary Travel" designation means I could have claimed on travel insurance... if the decision came a little earlier - I missed out by about 72 hours... Bugger