Damp wood and coal being banned

Mito Man

Re: Damp wood and coal being banned

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am
Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 am Anyway glass door fireplaces put an end to all fun that because if it isn’t kiln dried the glass goes black after a few minutes :roll:
Apropos of nothing, but I suspect someone did that on my one. Had an idle crack at cleaning it up but it's bloody stubborn. Any tips?
Dab a paper towel/newspaper in water and dip it in the ash then use that to ‘polish’ the glass. Works really well if you keep on top of it.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

And if that doesn’t work, scrape with a bare Stanley knife blade.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Noice, cheers chaps.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

This is not new and has been the case for many years - The Clean Air Act came in 1956.
Many parts of the UK are smoke control areas where you can’t emit smoke from a chimney unless you’re burning an authorised fuel or using ‘exempt appliances’, for example burners or stoves. You can be fined up to £1,000 if you break the rules.
https://www.gov.uk/smoke-control-area-rules

Unless they are going to start enforcement.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Not sure how this will stop the local tree surgeons selling their waste on Gumtree and Facebook marketplace
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

And this is the point, banning it is one thing but the cash strapped councils are expected to enforce it, so nothing will change.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Tree surgeons will do what they always do, most of the stuff they have is leafy material so what do you think all those smokey fires on farms are from :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:54 am And this is the point, banning it is one thing but the cash strapped councils are expected to enforce it, so nothing will change.
I can just imagine a person knocking on the door with a moisture meter :lol:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:42 am Tree surgeons will do what they always do, most of the stuff they have is leafy material so what do you think all those smokey fires on farms are from :lol:
Usually tyres and at night where I’m from.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Prices have gone up for logs since I was a kid :lol:.

When I worked delivering logs with my grandad, it was £5 a bag for small bags (these were fertiliser bags that we'd get from a local farmer), £60 for a box (old potato storage boxes, again from a local farmer) or we'd just fill the bed of his Bedford BF for £100.

He was a forestry contractor so he'd keep any decent trunks from a job and we'd work through turning them into logs at the weekend. Ended up stopping doing it before he actually retired because the customers dried up.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My Dad's got two burners in his house, one in each Living Room.

He has two strips of Peat Bog which fuels both all winter - it's an amazing resource to have as it works out as free fuel. He wouldn't come near burning all of the Turf from both so he's able to give a load of it away. The two lads who cut the turf do it in exchange for a winter's supply (so it cost him nothing to maintain the Bog) and there's still more than enough for various older folk around the village to top up their winter Fuel allowances.

There's always wood about too from farm clearing. I don't think he's paid for any fuel since he built the house.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

After a relatives discussion with their supplier...

“The receipt can say whatever it wants to say, don’t worry about it”

So that’s that then :lol:

Dave!