Damp wood and coal being banned

V8Granite

Damp wood and coal being banned

Post by V8Granite »

Now I’ve kept away from the news for a while as it’s all depressing generally. Haven’t had a look since Miss Fkack topped herself.

Today though I had a nose and see they want to, or have decided to ban wet wood and coal.

What the Merry funk do they think people do, people get wet, green, fresh wood delivered, stack it in their wood store, outside area, next to the fire etc to dry and use the following year. I don’t know a single person who doesn’t.

The other option is kiln dried wood, you know the wood dried quickly in a hocking great fire, that costs more and pollutes more.

The CO2 dry humping those in power are doing is utterly retarded in every way and yet again, those with the least are affected.

Insufferable CO2 bollocks.

No idea what the deal with coal is, I rarely even smell it anymore.

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Re: Damp wood and coal being banned

Post by NotoriousREV »

It’s nothing to do with CO2 emissions, it’s particulates for general air quality.
Burning wet wood and coal in homes emits huge amounts of minuscule pollutants, known as PM2.5, which can penetrate deep into the lungs and blood.

When alight, they let off 38 per cent of the total PM2.5 pollution in the UK – more than road transport and industry combined, according to government figures.

The particles – each one 28 times smaller than the width of a human hair – can cause or aggravate asthma, strokes, lung cancer and heart disease.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

So why are they banning the sale of something people then dry to save themselves money ?

It’s like saying ban chicken as some idiots don’t cook it properly and get sick.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Ban wet chicken!

Let’s start a movement....
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 am So why are they banning the sale of something people then dry to save themselves money ?

It’s like saying ban chicken as some idiots don’t cook it properly and get sick.

Dave!
Because most idiots don’t dry it, they just burn it. They set standards for chicken so people’s health isn’t affected, now they’re setting a standard for selling wood.

Stop being such a triggered snowflake over it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It makes sense.

“Sales of wet wood in small units (less than 2m3) will be phased out from February 2021. Wet wood in volumes greater than 2m3 will also have to be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning”

You can still buy wet wood, really this just stops people such as Londoners who have no space buying a bag of crap, not seasoning it and just chucking it into the burner, then surprise surprise they have a flue fire 2 years down the line.
After all if you’re just gonna buy a small bag of wood chances are you’re going to burn it immediately.

They think seasoned wood is below 20% moisture but I’ve never seen below 25%, kiln dried is usually sub 10% but increases the longer it’s left. If you cut your own wood or get wet wood substantially cheaper you can easily build a kiln, it’s just a small insulated space, electric heater and fan.
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:31 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 am So why are they banning the sale of something people then dry to save themselves money ?

Dave!
Because most idiots don’t dry it, they just burn it. They set standards for chicken so people’s health isn’t affected, now they’re setting a standard for selling wood.

Stop being such a triggered snowflake over it.
No, most people I know do not burn it, they store it and from walking around my town in the mornings none of those burn it either.

Some people fuel costs will double in winter, not everyone is on gas or can afford oil heating.

Simply enforce the laws we already have.

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broken pallets are cheap.

Personally I prefer everyone having clean air to breathe than a really small number people having to use a different fuel source.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:41 am Broken pallets are cheap.

Personally I prefer everyone having clean air to breathe than a really small number people having to use a different fuel source.
I prefer fuckwits be taken to task for burning wet wood in smokeless zones rather than double the fuel costs of poor people.

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

What about the poor people in smokeless zones?

If I were you, I’d take this up with the government you voted for :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

How much are you paying for wet wood?
A metre cubed bag of seasoned logs is £30-40 depending on how many bags you get.
I haven’t seen wet wood advertised locally but if it’s half that then just buy 2 and it’s legal. If you don’t have oil or gas you’ll be going through way more than 2 anyway so it’s not like the 2m3 minimum quantity will be a barrier.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 am How much are you paying for wet wood?
A metre cubed bag of seasoned logs is £30-40 depending on how many bags you get.
I haven’t seen wet wood advertised locally but if it’s half that then just buy 2 and it’s legal. If you don’t have oil or gas you’ll be going through way more than 2 anyway so it’s not like the 2m3 minimum quantity will be a barrier.
Stop using facts and BE OFFENDED!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
tim

Post by tim »

fucking hell. I'm marking this in my diary in big.

The day mito actually made some sense.

<deletes internet>
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 am How much are you paying for wet wood?
A square metre the last time I looked was around £100, 2 square metres was a small flatbed transit up to the sides and about 160.

Non dried was about £40 a bag which was 1 cubic metre, as accurate as they used to be.

These were all 3 or 4 years ago when we were planning the house renovations.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m surprised you’re quoting that much, I had a look on eBay to see if there’s a cheap wood microclimate in Kent but even there it seems to be £50-70 for one of those metre cubed/ton builders bags of seasoned wood.
There’s a few guys selling kiln dried hardwood for £60-65 which seems very cheap for what it is.

I guess beech would be worth £100 but the cheap stuff here tends to be ash - still alright though, it’s decent hardwood and grows everywhere.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:31 am I’m surprised you’re quoting that much, I had a look on eBay to see if there’s a cheap wood microclimate in Kent but even there it seems to be £50-70 for one of those metre cubed/ton builders bags of seasoned wood.
There’s a few guys selling kiln dried hardwood for £60-65 which seems very cheap for what it is.

I guess beech would be worth £100 but the cheap stuff here tends to be ash - still alright though, it’s decent hardwood and grows everywhere.
You either get hardwood or softwood around here, they generally don’t guarantee a type. A long time ago it was £80 for a flatbed (sold as 2 square metres) but that went up relatively quickly.

Certainly not even close to £40 a bag. A bag is about 0.9 cubes I think. My aunt and uncle just kept them on rotation at the side of the house and stuck a probe in them.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:38 am
Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:31 am I’m surprised you’re quoting that much, I had a look on eBay to see if there’s a cheap wood microclimate in Kent but even there it seems to be £50-70 for one of those metre cubed/ton builders bags of seasoned wood.

You either get hardwood or softwood around here, they generally don’t guarantee a type. A long time ago it was £80 for a flatbed (sold as 2 square metres) but that went up relatively quickly.

Certainly not even close to £40 a bag. A bag is about 0.9 cubes I think. My aunt and uncle just kept them on rotation at the side of the house and stuck a probe in them.

Dave!
You really need to have a good look online for someone cheaper or next time you’re in a local farm shop check the wall with the local ads as you’re overpaying. (Yes a bag is slightly less as they’re 1 cubic metre including a pallet for shipping purposes)

This is going back years ago but one chap would sell a transit flabtbed worth of wood for the price of 2 bags, he claimed it was worth more than 2 bags but when I stacked it was visibly less so we didn’t bother again so there’s some shits to be aware of like in anything else.

Anyway glass door fireplaces put an end to all fun that because if it isn’t kiln dried the glass goes black after a few minutes :roll:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ll talk with a friend and find out what the prices are at the minute.

Dave!
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Agree with the new rules even though we'll suffer from it as we rely on an open fire for cosy winter nights. Always buy dried logs so no issue there. The smokeless solid fuel works OK but find it doesnt't throw the heat out on an open fire. Probably better in a multifuel stove?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 am Anyway glass door fireplaces put an end to all fun that because if it isn’t kiln dried the glass goes black after a few minutes :roll:
Apropos of nothing, but I suspect someone did that on my one. Had an idle crack at cleaning it up but it's bloody stubborn. Any tips?