Bat soup/Wuhan

evostick

Bat soup/Wuhan

Post by evostick »

In the spirit of the day, I'd like to point out that some foreigners are right dirty bastards.

Have you seen what these crazy chinese have been eating? :shock:

It's no wonder they're all getting sick. Apparently your average Bat carries more zoonotic (transmittable to other species) viruses than any other mammal. They're also partial to the occasional Rat which carry the most viruses overall.

Now as a cosmopolitan adventurous type, when travelling, I've eaten frogs, snails, horses, haggis, rollmop herrings and soft cheese but that's about it.

I saw a few stomach churning things in the markets in Hong Kong some years back but quickly went to the nearest Mcdonalds. I wouldn't eat bugs either.

I wonder which forumite will be the first to contract the Corona virus. I reckon Dave! stands a good chance. He's always dealing with dodgy locations, even been to Sweden I think.

What's the weirdest most disgusting thing you've eaten?.
NotoriousREV

Re: Bat soup/Wuhan

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m not an adventurous eater so the weirdest thing I’ve had is probably alligator in Florida. Tasted like chicken with a hint of fish with the texture of pork.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
evostick

Post by evostick »

Doesn't sound very nice Dave. Probably chlorinated so you'd be safe but well done for trying it.

Oh and northerns please note that I know 'Barm Cake' is just bread and you only eat roadkill because you're starving so it doesn't fucking count.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The thing I've eaten that most western people find weird and I hated is Natto.

It's soybeans that have fermented, they have a slimy, stringy texture and they taste bad.

Apparently really good for you though.

An absolute unit
evostick

Post by evostick »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:09 pm The thing I've eaten that most western people find weird and I hated is Natto.

It's soybeans that have fermented, they have a slimy, stringy texture and they taste bad.

Apparently really good for you though.

Just rotten beans innit. Standard fare for communist vegans I'd have thought.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Crocodile and Kangaroo in Aus, Ostrich and Kudu in South Africa, Reindeer in Finland.

I had a dish in Moscow that translated to “Hen Spirals” - fuck knows what part of a hen that was. :shock:

I’m not a very adventurous eater if I’m honest...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
evostick

Post by evostick »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:13 pm Crocodile and Kangaroo in Aus, Ostrich and Kudu in South Africa, Reindeer in Finland.

I had a dish in Moscow that translated to “Hen Spirals” - fuck knows what part of a hen that was. :shock:

I’m not a very adventurous eater if I’m honest...
An impressive list Dinny.

tbf though I'm taking it with a pinch of salt cause it was probably all just chicken anyway.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Nothing worse than what you’d find in a cheap sausage.
Horse and deer are the most I’ve ventured.
Had some shit cuts of meat like ox tongue.
Had fish eyes and brains for bets.
Then I had a 4 year vegan stint to make up for it.
How about not having a sig at all?
evostick

Post by evostick »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:35 pm
Had some shit cuts of meat like ox tongue.
Never done it. My father used to eat tripe when I was a kid. Smelled so fucking disgusting.

There was always Sweet Bread on the counter in the butchers as well. Which is possibly the most misleading name for something eva.

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Tasted sheep brains in Romania. It wasn't nice. That's about the best I can do.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Toasted Witchery grubs (they do taste very nutty), Green ants (licked for the tangy taste so I guess technically not eaten) Scorpion, Meal worms, Crickets, Crocodile, Ostrich, Camel and a bunch of weird offal in Japan while I was drunk.

An Aussie DimSims so that's probably whatever roadkill was near the takeaway at the time. :lol:
evostick

Post by evostick »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:58 pm Tasted sheep brains in Romania. It wasn't nice. That's about the best I can do.
Yep, that's suitably disgusting and should help to reassure people who are concerned about us leaving the EU.

Sheep are particularly stupid creatures though. If I was forced to eat a brain, I'd probably opt for a fox. A proper country one though. Not like that poor one that Jolyon Maugham beat to death whilst dressed as a chinese woman.
evostick

Post by evostick »

RobYob wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:11 pm Toasted Witchery grubs (they do taste very nutty), Green ants (licked for the tangy taste so I guess technically not eaten) Scorpion, Meal worms, Crickets, Crocodile, Ostrich, Camel and a bunch of weird offal in Japan while I was drunk.

An Aussie DimSims so that's probably whatever roadkill was near the takeaway at the time. :lol:
Gotta feel for the antipodeans really. Still got some civilisation in the blood but in such close proximity to all those feral savages. It was bound to rub off on you and you were all criminals to begin with.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Been looking into brain consumption a bit more and it's quite worrying really.

It appears that Pakistanis, particularly ones from India can't get enough of them. If venturing into a unfamiliar curry house be aware that Maghaz Bhuna, which I think sounds pretty innocuous tbh, is in fact cow or sheep brain disguised in lots of spice.

The dirty bastards.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I've had duck brain and fish eyeballs in Hong Kong before and also tripe Chinese style is actually not bad (boiled so that it has no real flavour itself but is presented with copious amount of ginger and garlic oil in much the same way as snails are in France).

Think I'd definitely draw the line at bushmeat and/or bats :?

Incidentally the infections from ebola in West Africa is a result of the same 'interesting' diet...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s big in Morocco. In fact if you have the misfortune of visiting the miserable place (god knows why you would) your main challenge will be finding something which isn’t vomit inducing and won’t give you a colonic irrigation. And can people fuck off with calling poor terrible places “cultural” please.
How about not having a sig at all?
evostick

Post by evostick »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:05 pm And can people fuck off with calling poor terrible places “cultural” please.
Agreed. It just encourages them and delays their evolution.

Look at the French. We've been setting them an example for centuries and they still eat songbirds whole given half a chance.

Funny how you can be so close and yet so different. Similar parallels with the chinese/japanese. Basically the same but one of them is intelligent enough to have standards and refined enough to have taste. The other collects cooking oil from open sewers and fries vermin in it.
evostick

Post by evostick »

GG. wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:05 pm I've had duck brain and fish eyeballs in Hong Kong before and also tripe Chinese style

Incidentally the infections from ebola in West Africa is a result of the same 'interesting' diet...
FFS. You're in the at-risk category for sure.

Thing is, you kind of expect that behaviour from Africans. Particularly sub-saharan ones. The average IQ score is about 70 IIRC and they just sit around all day waiting for an excuse to kill each other.

The chinese though, they should know better. They can't invent anything but they are capable when motivated and can copy someone else's work really well.

At least nobody's fessed up to eating a dog. Unforgivable behaviour.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I had guinea pig in Peru last year. It was like a tiny, very fiddly chicken. I won't bother again.

Also alpaca (although it could have been anything tbh), beef heart (quite nice), and beef stomach aka tripe which tasted OK but had a really unpleasant texture.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Busta Rhymes'll bring them into line.