Bagels

GG.

Re: Bagels

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:35 pm The crust to bread ratio is all wrong.
It's flattened in the process of toasting - look at the end bits on the right hand side for comparison.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:54 am
ZedLeg wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:22 amUnfortunately, it's impossible to talk in a Scottish accent without sounding like an idiot (shut up JL ;) ).
Nope :lol:

Ah you guys are alright I suppose :D

Weird one about ciabatta being heavy - I've always thought of it as a light, fluffy sort of a bread. Are you Northern types slathering it in lard and dripping, like normal?
Ciabatta's weird. It's a very open texture but somehow also really dense. I prefer a baguette for soft and fluffiness.
I thought I read ages ago you had to be gluten free, Did you not have Coeliac (interested as I can't do lactose myself amongst other things) or did the doctors screw up?

On this subject I love Bagels toasted and un-toasted, pretzels, sour-dough, ciabatta, baguette and Pain are all good too.

Carl.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Toasting does magic to bagels. They can need a hacksaw to cut in half - bung them in the toaster and it's all good.

Oh - I get it now. Some on here are trying to eat them in one go. Half at a time ftw.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

drcarlos wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:01 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:54 am

Nope :lol:

Ah you guys are alright I suppose :D

Weird one about ciabatta being heavy - I've always thought of it as a light, fluffy sort of a bread. Are you Northern types slathering it in lard and dripping, like normal?
Ciabatta's weird. It's a very open texture but somehow also really dense. I prefer a baguette for soft and fluffiness.
I thought I read ages ago you had to be gluten free, Did you not have Coeliac (interested as I can't do lactose myself amongst other things) or did the doctors screw up?

On this subject I love Bagels toasted and un-toasted, pretzels, sour-dough, ciabatta, baguette and Pain are all good too.

Carl.
I’m coeliac and have IBS because I’m just lucky. So I can make the effort to be gluten free and have stomach cramps and diarrhoea, or I can eat what I like and have stomach cramps and diarrhoea. Luckily, my Type 2 Diabetes medication causes stomach cramps and diarrhoea too, so if I ever feel good for a while I can always take a tablet to get things back to normal.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 pm
drcarlos wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Carl.
I’m coeliac and have IBS because I’m just lucky. So I can make the effort to be gluten free and have stomach cramps and diarrhoea, or I can eat what I like and have stomach cramps and diarrhoea. Luckily, my Type 2 Diabetes medication causes stomach cramps and diarrhoea too, so if I ever feel good for a while I can always take a tablet to get things back to normal.
Shit! OK well that's a fair few problems.

I'll drop you a PM on the subject.

Carl.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Have you tried cutting lactose Rev? My missus got diagnosed by a GP for IBS but we ate a vegan diet for a while and she stopped getting symptoms. Figured out it was Lactose that was giving her grief.

Don't worry lads, we're not vegan anymore so we don't need any lectures :).
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 am Have you tried cutting lactose Rev? My missus got diagnosed by a GP for IBS but we ate a vegan diet for a while and she stopped getting symptoms. Figured out it was Lactose that was giving her grief.

I drink shitloads of milk, at least 2 pints per day and always have done. However, when I'm dieting I cut it out completely, usually for 12 weeks at a time. I actually do see an improvement in my symptoms, but I think it's because I'm generally eating better then, rather than it being the milk itself. Things that set me off the most are heavy carb meals, very fatty meals and, sometimes but not always, spicy food. sometime I get symptoms when I've had noting but water. I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 7 or 8, the coeliac diagnosis came when I'd gone back to the doc as an older adult to see if medical science could explain things better. Imagine my joy when they said it was both. The way I look at it is: at least I don't have Crohns.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ah, definitely more than my missus then. She switched to a mix of the lactofree and soy stuff and noticed the difference straight away. Of course she still occasionally eats stuff with lactose in it and suffers for it :roll: :lol: .

Hearing about other people's digestive problems always makes me appreciate my honey badger like constitution more.
An absolute unit
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Prefer bagels toasted but will eat untoasted as a pack of them provides a nice munchable food item at work for a bargain price (maybe not a whole pack in a day. maybe)
Left over crest; tightens.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 am Have you tried cutting lactose Rev? My missus got diagnosed by a GP for IBS but we ate a vegan diet for a while and she stopped getting symptoms. Figured out it was Lactose that was giving her grief.

I get stomach cramps and runny bottom on a regular basis although have never been diagnosed with anything (I've not been to check to be honest) I love milk but it always seemed to be the trigger. I switched to soya milk, odd tasting for the first couple of days but I can't drink normal milk now. I have it in tea, on cereal, everything. I love it and best of all I'm loosing weight!

Back on topic I had my first bagel last night, very pleasant. I'm now going to start trying different brands to see which is best.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:24 am

I get stomach cramps and runny bottom on a regular basis
Cheers.
mik

Post by mik »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:24 am

I get stomach cramps and runny bottom on a regular basis
Which clearly isnt normal. Go an speak to a medical professional dude.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Pastrami, roast chicken, Jalapeno and chilli cheese bagel.

Oven for 10 mins on as high as it will go 8-)

Then a linghams chilli sauce to dip.

Job jobbed.