Bagels

JLv3.0

Re: Bagels

Post by JLv3.0 »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:22 amUnfortunately, it's impossible to talk in a Scottish accent without sounding like an idiot (shut up JL ;) ).
Nope :lol:

Ah you guys are alright I suppose :D

Weird one about ciabatta being heavy - I've always thought of it as a light, fluffy sort of a bread. Are you Northern types slathering it in lard and dripping, like normal?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:54 am
ZedLeg wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:22 amUnfortunately, it's impossible to talk in a Scottish accent without sounding like an idiot (shut up JL ;) ).
Nope :lol:

Ah you guys are alright I suppose :D

Weird one about ciabatta being heavy - I've always thought of it as a light, fluffy sort of a bread. Are you Northern types slathering it in lard and dripping, like normal?
Ciabatta's weird. It's a very open texture but somehow also really dense. I prefer a baguette for soft and fluffiness.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I have a feeling I mentioned this the other day, but Victoria train station in the late 90s had this Italian sandwich shop that would coax a breaded chicken escalope, mozzarella and salami into the best part of an entire ciabatta. Mother of God how good was that.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There was a deli in Edinburgh briefly that did the American style of Italian food and they would make these incredible Chicken Parmigiana or meatball sandwiches on chiabata. Unbelievably messy to try and eat but worth it.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Alex_ wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 am I like my bagels untoasted.
when they’re really fresh, then yep.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That salt beef bagel with pickles and mustard from Page 1 is haunting me. Sounds fantastic.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:00 am I have a feeling I mentioned this the other day, but Victoria train station in the late 90s had this Italian sandwich shop that would coax a breaded chicken escalope, mozzarella and salami into the best part of an entire ciabatta. Mother of God how good was that.
There was a place opposite the courts on the Strand (Messrs. C, it was called) which also did lovely things with ciabattas in the mid-late 90s. I found somewhere else (Mark_BT52 would remember it, opposite the ITN building) where they put a chicken escalope in whatever you fancied. Making me hungry now. ETA: Google Streetview just goes back far enough to find a pic; Rudi's sandwich bar.
GG.

Post by GG. »

There's a place called the Little Gatsby behind where I work that does a similar thing. Think that might have to be tomorrow's lunch...
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

When we have Bagels they are toasted.

Best snackage was when I worked in Docklands, a wee oriental guy called Tony had a knackered red van and he had the most amazing rolls. Cheese and Onion omelette in one of those rolls....... :D
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I can eat bagels toasted or untoasted, but toasted is better. Ciabatta can be done both ways too, I like it lightly toasted with pastrami, rocket, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt.

Man, bread is delicious... I wish it wasn't so bad for you. :x
Last edited by duncs500 on Tue May 08, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:31 pm
Man bread is delicious, I wish it wasn't so bad for you. :x
man bread? I don’t even want to know!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:06 pm
I'm sure you've gnawed on plenty of man bread in your time Rich.:lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:12 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:06 pm
I'm sure you've gnawed on plenty of man bread in your time Rich.:lol:
🥖
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Well. That escalated - quickly.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Bagels should be toasted to avoid the doughiness.

Ciabatta is amazing if done right (this is like deja vu all over again, I'm sure we had a similar thread on the old forums): lightly toasted and decked out with smoked salmon, avocado, prawns, lemon, salt and pepper and some crunchy iceberg lettuce.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Marv

Post by Marv »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:08 pm Bagels should be toasted to avoid the doughiness.

Ciabatta is amazing if done right (this is like deja vu all over again, I'm sure we had a similar thread on the old forums): lightly toasted and decked out with langoustines, smoked salmon, avocado, prawns, lemon, salt and pepper and some crunchy iceberg lettuce.
EFA.
Oui, je suis un motard.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Marv wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:22 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:08 pm Bagels should be toasted to avoid the doughiness.

Ciabatta is amazing if done right (this is like deja vu all over again, I'm sure we had a similar thread on the old forums): lightly toasted and decked out with langoustines, smoked salmon, avocado, prawns, lemon, salt and pepper and some crunchy iceberg lettuce.
EFA.
To quote the ref in Celebrity Deathmatch "I'll allow it". I shall try that.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:00 am I have a feeling I mentioned this the other day, but Victoria train station in the late 90s had this Italian sandwich shop that would coax a breaded chicken escalope, mozzarella and salami into the best part of an entire ciabatta. Mother of God how good was that.
There was a place opposite the courts on the Strand (Messrs. C, it was called) which also did lovely things with ciabattas in the mid-late 90s. I found somewhere else (Mark_BT52 would remember it, opposite the ITN building) where they put a chicken escalope in whatever you fancied. Making me hungry now. ETA: Google Streetview just goes back far enough to find a pic; Rudi's sandwich bar.
Here's the Great Gatsby sandwich I mentioned.

Lightly toasted ciabatta with a very thin, not overly crunchy outer crust, perfect crispy breaded chicken escalope, thin slice of cheese, salad, mayo and a dash of home-made chilli sauce to finish.

Think I need a lie down.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The crust to bread ratio is all wrong.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Rev - I'm certain you gave up bread. Please update the database.