Casserole v Stew debate

dinny_g

Re: Casserole v Stew debate

Post by dinny_g »

Casserole - end thread.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Beany wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:23 pm
jamcg wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:13 pm
I just throw it all in the slow cooker and leave it because I’m a lazy bastard
Slow cooker for the meat for a few hours, then finish it off by cremating the shit out of it in the oven to get some crust or crackling on it.

Give it some time to rest, shove it in your fucking face.
Is the Crock-Pot ok with the heat of the oven?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I take it out of the crock pot thingy and just slap it on a tray for the oven.

I never claimed to be sophisticated about this stuff.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Anytime I have been served anything from a slow cooker it's been rubbish. They should be called over cookers. Mushy veg & overdone meat.

I can see why people use them but I have no evidence that I'd ever want one.

A cast iron cooking pot is a wonderful thing for using on the hob and in the oven and you can cook stuff the correct amount of time. If time is an issue then cook the evening prior to when it's required and warm up when returning from work.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

If you want al dente veg in a stew, you’re doing it very, very wrong :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:43 am If you want al dente veg in a stew, you’re doing it very, very wrong :lol:
Maybe not al dente, but it is nice to feel some texture when you're putting food in your mouth.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I like cooking really slow cooked chilli with chunks of beef, in a cast iron pot in the oven. Oven at 100 degrees for 8 or 9 hours.

Christ knows what it costs in Electricity but it always tastes marvellous... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You should try it with a whole brisket. Braise the beef in the sauce, pull it and stir it back in.
An absolute unit
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:36 pm I like cooking really slow cooked chilli with chunks of beef, in a cast iron pot in the oven. Oven at 100 degrees for 8 or 9 hours.

Christ knows what it costs in Electricity but it always tastes marvellous... :lol:
That works well in a slowcooker as well.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

As the legendary Johnny Craddock (might have) said, 'I hope your casseroles all turn out like Fannys,' :)
Barry

Post by Barry »

If your veg comes out mushy in casserole you're cutting it too small. Big chunks, so they cook at the same rate as the meat.

I want a Lancs hotpot now..
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:15 pm You should try it with a whole brisket. Braise the beef in the sauce, pull it and stir it back in.
Is there enough fat in a brisket?? I’ve never cooked with it??
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Lidl have the Silverline vacuum packing machines in at the moment for £24.99, and endless bags at £7, in case anyone wants to try a home-brew sous-vide set-up (stock-pot + meat thermometer).
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:00 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:15 pm You should try it with a whole brisket. Braise the beef in the sauce, pull it and stir it back in.
Is there enough fat in a brisket?? I’ve never cooked with it??
Decent brisket will have a good amount of marbling. I used to trim most of the fat from the outside of the meat as it would make the sauce greasy. It's pretty foolproof, you can either use the whole joint if you have a pot big enough or chop it into chunks. It'll cook a little quicker if you chop it up but either way you want at least 5 hours in a low oven. You should be able to pull the meat apart with your hands when it's ready.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Both rubbish, just a roast soaked in gravy. I’ve never tasted one which wouldnt have been better by just cooking the ingredients separately.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:22 pm Both rubbish, just a roast soaked in gravy. I’ve never tasted one which wouldnt have been better by just cooking the ingredients separately.

Dave!
sounds like you’ve just never been given a decent stew.
Richard

Post by Richard »

McSwede wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 pm I use a cast iron Le Creuset casserole dish and gently fry off onions and celery in butter and rapeseed oil. When ready, I add flour to make a roux, then add stock of choice until desired consistency is reached. Then I add whatever meat I have prepared along with any veg and/or mushrooms. Bung in oven at fan 140c for 90-120mins for chicken or longer and lower for beef.
im still certain that slow cookers are for people who like really over wet (under reduced) food and/or have forgotten they own an oven
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Yes I have to say our crock pot doesnt always deliver the best results. :? Alright for making stock :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Richard wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:33 pm
McSwede wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 pm I use a cast iron Le Creuset casserole dish and gently fry off onions and celery in butter and rapeseed oil. When ready, I add flour to make a roux, then add stock of choice until desired consistency is reached. Then I add whatever meat I have prepared along with any veg and/or mushrooms. Bung in oven at fan 140c for 90-120mins for chicken or longer and lower for beef.
im still certain that slow cookers are for people who like really over wet (under reduced) food and/or have forgotten they own an oven
Do you complain that your soup is too wet?

I definitely think some of you don't really know what a stew or casserole is supposed to be.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

McSwede wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 pm
FWIW potatoes should be served separately. Mash or roast is good. Current favourite is garlic and rosemary Parmentier potatoes.
Rubbish, as someone who generally dislikes all potatoes which aren't fried, spuds which have absorbed all that meaty casserole goodness are delicious 😋
Cheers, Harry