Casserole v Stew debate

dinny_g

Re: Casserole v Stew debate

Post by dinny_g »

Fine line though between Flavoured Spuds in your sauce and starchy mush that’s ruined the lot...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Stuff like potatoes, beans etc should be added near the end so they don’t go gloopy from overcooking.

Potatoes are good for thickening a sauce at the end as well.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

McSwede wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:07 am Anytime I have been served anything from a slow cooker it's been rubbish. They should be called over cookers. Mushy veg & overdone meat.

I can see why people use them but I have no evidence that I'd ever want one.

A cast iron cooking pot is a wonderful thing for using on the hob and in the oven and you can cook stuff the correct amount of time. If time is an issue then cook the evening prior to when it's required and warm up when returning from work.
I bought a crockpot slow cooker thing today with some nectar points. I shall give it a whirl and see what happens. :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I mainly use our slow cooker for chilli, the longer you leave it the better.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Absolutely tangential, but I picked up a £30 air fryer from Asda the other day, and bloody Nora, if it'll fit, and it normally just needs heating through as opposed to 'cooking' (chips, sausages, breaded chicken, etc) then it'll do then in the time it takes for the oven to warm up.

Whiiiile using half the power....

Not for everything (you can do small steaks in it, but why would you - and it'd be to hot for a small joint of meat, etc) but I'm genuinely impressed by it, particularly for frozen chips.

I've not cooked anything for more than 15 mins so far, and most things are ten.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep they’re just tiny convection ovens. Served me well through uni :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:28 pm Yep they’re just tiny convection ovens. Served me well through uni :lol:
I'm amazed, but thinking about it more sensibly, it's basically a deep fat fryer that uses controlled heated air, rather than oil - so not a huge shock it works so well. Damned site easier to look after than a deep fryer, too (been there, done that, never again)

Just did some sausages in about ten minutes, nicely browned and cooked reet through, lovely!
mik

Post by mik »

We've had an Actifry for some years - great for some things (sossies are good in it). Best description I read is that it was a "powerful culinary hairdryer" :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Who's going to give me a knock out slow cooker recipe for our first time using it. What will make me change my opinion on them??