Toilet definition

NotoriousREV

Re: Toilet definition

Post by NotoriousREV »

The imagined oppression is strong in this thread, isn’t it?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

But you don’t understand Rev, I find the modern world very confusing and this is an attack on me somehow.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Lets go back to the 50s, when anyone who wasn't entirely straight was chemically castrated. Or just beaten to death.

Much easier.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Every LGBT+ character in a movie or TV show makes straight people slightly more gay.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:39 am One thing I've not understood and this seems like as good a thread to ask it in as anywhere...

LGBT representation in movies, especially those big Hollywood blockbusters, is one of the biggest topics online and has been for a few years now. But what do people want to see exactly?

If I'm going to the latest Avengers movie, I don't care what the characters' colour, background or sexual preference is. Unless its part of the story, I just don't care if Captain America is giving his ass to Black Panther in their downtime from saving the world.

So what does the movement want to see happen? Marvel have said a first transgender superhero is coming soon. But how's that going to translate to the big screen? How does the fact they're transgender going to be written-in to a movie in any way which isn't going to feel like they're paying lip service to them? Even a movie like Endgame which is 3 hours long had no padding in it. If there was a transgender hero on screen (which there might have been anyway), what sort of plot would they write-in which would let them shine in a relevant way?

or is it just the case that people want to see Marvel say that character x is transgender and you will see them saving the world in the next movie. Because I don't think that's going to satisfy things either.

Another can of worms - what happens when a CIS (is that correct?) actor gets placed in the role of the transgender superhero?
Given that an actor's job is to pretend to be someone they are not.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s a complicated issue. As much as you would like to say the best person for the job it goes back to the idea of explicit representation. Seeing a person who’s going through what you’re going through make it is obviously very important.

There’s also the argument that there are a million roles for cis people that trans actors might be overlooked for.
An absolute unit
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:33 pm
PaulJ wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm Just to clear up any misunderstanding for an old man. Is is still OK to be a straight white male from the baby boom generation, or should I be feeling slightly ashamed of myself? :oops:
You’re the reason Australia is on fire and the planet is generally dying. Every time you fart a koala dies.
I've never been to Australia, so I definitely didn't start the fire, but it's reassuring to know that my farts aren't wasted. :twisted:
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:29 am Seeing a person who’s pretending to go through what you’re going through make it is obviously very important.
;)
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division