TV Car Show fakery

NotoriousREV

TV Car Show fakery

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m watching “Garage Squad” on some satellite channel or other. They’re working on a ‘55 Chevy that’s been stuck in someone’s garage for years. They’ve swapped out the suspension and brakes but I’m every shot it’s massively obvious that the chassis and underside of the car are brand new. The chassis looks freshly powdercoated and the nuts and bolts on the underside of this 65 year old car just simply undid with a ratchet.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Re: TV Car Show fakery

Post by ZedLeg »

That's why I got bored of most of the TV car shows.

I just want to see people messing around with cars without the obvious injected drama/fakery.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It always seems such an obvious thing that the car/bike programmes that are based on real companies (FnL, American Chopper, Bitchin Rides, wheeler dealers (ish)) are far better and longer running/more successful than the ones that aren’t.

Then finding the balance between actual build and character stuff is the difficult part - the more successful the show gets, the less they seem to bother with the actual build detail (and then even fudging it to fit the show), until eventually it’s moved so far away from the build that the show is crap.

And repeat.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I think that's why I like Roadkill, Roadkill Garage, Hot Rod Garage, Engine Masters etc. so much. There's no bullshit.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I pretty much just cycle through all the Motor Trend shows for background tv where I used to have something like Top Gear or Fast n Loud running.

Just finished watching all of Dirt Every Day again.
An absolute unit