Being offended

NotoriousREV

Re: Being offended

Post by NotoriousREV »

My take on this, which isn’t worth anything but here it is anyway:

I don’t believe Alistair Stewart intended it as a racial slur. He quoted it because it’s a rant about uninformed people angrily defending an incorrect position.

I do believe that Martin Shapland found it offensive, because he’s almost certainly had racist encounters his entire life with people comparing him to apes/monkeys.

Stewart should’ve known better, as harsh as it seems. Just because it was written by Shakespeare doesn’t mean it can’t be used in a different context to become offensive. Having said that, I don’t believe Stewart deserved to be sacked over it, unless it was a recurring pattern with him.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
evostick

Post by evostick »

This craziness is what happens when you take certain words and make them haram.

Many people are either too thick or too malicious to appreciate context. The problem should remain with them and not with wider society. Offence was not given in this instance but it was taken nevertheless.

If one were to be overly sensitive then, looking at Mr Shaplands previous tweets, I get the impression that he's really rather racist. So many references to 'white people'. Sadly this doesn't surprise me at all. I wouldn't try and get him sacked for it though.

I'm a reasonable ape you see. Not an ape with an axe to grind like Mr Shapland obviously is.

Very sad that an old guys career should end in such a way for no good reason.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

What Rev said...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I read the history as couldn't sleep.

The phrase Stewart used twice on twitter. Once to a person of white colour and another to the more recent party.

The latest party quoted the 'ape' part only and included a hashtag of the person who used it's workplace after an exchange where they obviously felt wronged.

I would say the more recent person is a malicious twat and should be sacked. 😀
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It seems Mr Shapland “would’ve been happy with a private apology”. Yeah, that’s definitely what it looked like when he was screaming from the rooftops about his offence.

Why didn’t he just reply to Alistair Stewart, explain he found what was said to be offensive and ask for that apology?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:10 pm It seems Mr Shapland “would’ve been happy with a private apology”. Yeah, that’s definitely what it looked like when he was screaming from the rooftops about his offence.

Why didn’t he just reply to Alistair Stewart, explain he found what was said to be offensive and ask for that apology?
I've only just got into this but i suspect Mr Shapland has a bit of an issue with white folk :D
mik

Post by mik »

FFS what a load of b0llox.

I don’t have a degree in literature, but I am pretty sure there are many historical references to men as a gender being “apes”.

Are we no longer allowed to mention the Planet Of The Apes series?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:58 pm Are we no longer allowed to mention the Planet Of The Apes series?
Not in the vicinity of piccaninnies
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Low skills this week.

Lots of shouty thickos with too much to say these days