Marathon / Half Marathon

User avatar
Gavster
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 am
Currently Driving: Sage The Smart 1.7L Kettle BKE820UK

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Gavster »

Research shows that heel/forefoot striking makes very little difference to injury incidence compared to running economy and impact.

I’ve always been injury prone when it comes to running so spent a lot of time earlier this year analysing all parts of my technique and training methods to see what might be causing it. The two main takeaways were form/technique and to train in cycles, to have more breaks from intense training. Also discovered that I was STILL running my long runs too fast.
User avatar
Ascender
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:53 am Research shows that heel/forefoot striking makes very little difference to injury incidence compared to running economy and impact.

I’ve always been injury prone when it comes to running so spent a lot of time earlier this year analysing all parts of my technique and training methods to see what might be causing it. The two main takeaways were form/technique and to train in cycles, to have more breaks from intense training. Also discovered that I was STILL running my long runs too fast.
I genuinely didn't know that and if I try and heel strike now, I can't believe it doesn't cause more injuries, but there you go. As part of moving to a midfoot/forefoot strike I naturally focused on form and moved to a faster cadence so maybe that's what did it.
User avatar
Gavster
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 am
Currently Driving: Sage The Smart 1.7L Kettle BKE820UK

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Gavster »

Faster cadence would definitely help, I guess it's easier to over-stride with heel striking, however it is definitely a personal preference, there's no universal rule. I've done both heel and forefoot strike at marathon distance as well as zero drop shoes with the forefoot and it didn't make any difference to my injury incidence, in the end I've come back to heel striking with supportive shoes and focus on cadence and hip movement. Also another eye-opening piece of evidence-backed training advice I discovered this year is that deadlifts are one of the most important exercises for running injury prevention. As soon as I decide to do another race I'll be adding them to my training.
V8Granite
Posts: 2529
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by V8Granite »

I know nothing about running but as an all over workout, deadlifts and power cleans are absolute king.

Dave!
User avatar
Gavster
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 am
Currently Driving: Sage The Smart 1.7L Kettle BKE820UK

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Gavster »

It was a shock because I've done very little weight training in my life, as I've mostly done endurance sports and deadlifts looks so... basic 🤷🏼‍♂️
DaveE
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by DaveE »

Gavster wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:18 pm It was a shock because I've done very little weight training in my life, as I've mostly done endurance sports and deadlifts looks so... basic 🤷🏼‍♂️
I used to love deadlifts (even though I wasn't especially strong or owt)

There's something very "fuck yeah!" when you're deadlifting and you can see the bar bending :)
User avatar
Ascender
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Ascender »

I'll have to give deadlifts a go then! Hope to get back to something long distance next year.
User avatar
Gavster
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 am
Currently Driving: Sage The Smart 1.7L Kettle BKE820UK

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Gavster »

I've learned an incredible amount this year, despite having done a lot of training plans and read a load of the big name books in the past, I found three this year which revolutionised the way I approached my running.

1. Nutrition
Essentially the bible for athletic sports nutrition: https://amzn.to/3AqBnSt

2. Biomechanics and technique
Brilliantly written and illustrated. Get the paper edition rather than the kindle, because it's beautiful: https://amzn.to/2X0f4oP

3. Training plans and cycles
Matt explains training phases and cycles really clearly, and the LSR heart rate zone is basically slower than I've ever run before, however I needed a new approach: https://amzn.to/3mMAMWt

Post may contain affiliate links ;)
V8Granite
Posts: 2529
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by V8Granite »

Put your legs where you would when doing a box jump and then follow this tutorial.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4NyJPgBUREw&t=638s

I went from my Max to 3 sets of 3 at max just because my technique was better and I wasn’t hurting my lower back.

Dave!
User avatar
Gavster
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 am
Currently Driving: Sage The Smart 1.7L Kettle BKE820UK

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Gavster »

Thanks Dave :)
User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 6485
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:28 pm Put your legs where you would when doing a box jump and then follow this tutorial.
ah, so these instructions start by knowing what a box jump is... I'm out.
User avatar
Gavster
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 am
Currently Driving: Sage The Smart 1.7L Kettle BKE820UK

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Gavster »

Thanks for letting us know that you're out Rich, it's such a shame because you'd been so active and invested in this thread right up until the moment Dave mentioned box jumps :(
User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 6485
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 pm Thanks for letting us know that you're out Rich, it's such a shame because you'd been so active and invested in this thread right up until the moment Dave mentioned box jumps :(
you can carry on Gav, I give you permission.
V8Granite
Posts: 2529
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:58 pm
V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:28 pm Put your legs where you would when doing a box jump and then follow this tutorial.
ah, so these instructions start by knowing what a box jump is... I'm out.
It’s when you jump on a box.

Dave!
User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 6485
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:16 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:58 pm
V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:28 pm Put your legs where you would when doing a box jump and then follow this tutorial.
ah, so these instructions start by knowing what a box jump is... I'm out.
It’s when you jump on a box.

Dave!
😂
User avatar
Delphi
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:11 am
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Volvo XC40
Contact:

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Delphi »

Did anybody see Rich McDowall's (Turboferret) London Marathon time? 2 hours 23 minutes - I'd struggle to do that on a fucking push bike!
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
User avatar
Ascender
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:46 pm I've learned an incredible amount this year, despite having done a lot of training plans and read a load of the big name books in the past, I found three this year which revolutionised the way I approached my running.

1. Nutrition
Essentially the bible for athletic sports nutrition: https://amzn.to/3AqBnSt

2. Biomechanics and technique
Brilliantly written and illustrated. Get the paper edition rather than the kindle, because it's beautiful: https://amzn.to/2X0f4oP

3. Training plans and cycles
Matt explains training phases and cycles really clearly, and the LSR heart rate zone is basically slower than I've ever run before, however I needed a new approach: https://amzn.to/3mMAMWt

Post may contain affiliate links ;)
Those look really good, thanks. I might order them for some winter reading and inspiration for next year.
User avatar
Gavster
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 am
Currently Driving: Sage The Smart 1.7L Kettle BKE820UK

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Gavster »

Delphi wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:07 am Did anybody see Rich McDowall's (Turboferret) London Marathon time? 2 hours 23 minutes - I'd struggle to do that on a fucking push bike!
That's quick :shock: very, very quick, like top UK club marathon runner time, very cool.
User avatar
Gavin
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Gavin »

Gavster wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:52 am
Delphi wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:07 am Did anybody see Rich McDowall's (Turboferret) London Marathon time? 2 hours 23 minutes - I'd struggle to do that on a fucking push bike!
That's quick :shock: very, very quick, like top UK club marathon runner time, very cool.
Bloody hell! My first half I did in about 2.13... :shock:

And yes, if you are doing a half, you say a half. Otherwise you are a dick.

I remember doing the Ultra relay run, so I only did 11 miles on leg 4 and another year did the horrible 7.5 mile leg and felt really guilty when people cheered. Especially crossing the finish for the "glory" eh no, I only did a wee leg, save your cheers for the crazy buggers who do the whole 38!
User avatar
Delphi
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:11 am
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Volvo XC40
Contact:

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Delphi »

Gavster wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:52 am
Delphi wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:07 am Did anybody see Rich McDowall's (Turboferret) London Marathon time? 2 hours 23 minutes - I'd struggle to do that on a fucking push bike!
That's quick :shock: very, very quick, like top UK club marathon runner time, very cool.
He came second in the 40-44 category and 9th overall.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Post Reply