Next day delivery

User avatar
Ascender
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Next day delivery

Post by Ascender »

We keep hearing how Amazon is causing the death of the high street and online retailers are struggling to compete. While I have lots of sympathy for what's going on, if you're an online retailed and are going to offer a next day delivery service at an additional charge, you need to try and make sure it happens. I've had three orders from three separate companies this week, paid for 24 hour shipping and so far...

One hasn't left the warehouse but Wiggle don't know why. I'm trying to cancel part of it now because I can get the bike chain from Amazon tomorrow.

One didn't ship until a day later despite me chatting with them and them reassuring me it would go out on the same day.

The other one was due to be delivered yesterday but is somewhere with Royal Mail.

Should it be that difficult?

User avatar
ZedLeg
Posts: 2799
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by ZedLeg »

The problem is that once parcels leave the warehouse retailers have next to no control over how the parcels are handled.

Amazon get round this by having a huge network of dispatch centres and largely contracting their own delivery drivers. Most companies can't afford to do this.

Trying to wrangle express shipments that haven't turned up on time is one of the many banes in my existence :lol:
An absolute unit

User avatar
Ascender
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Ascender »

Yeah, I know you can't compare one to the other in terms of size, but at least get the parcel out to the courier on the day you say you will.... and let the customer know if there is a delay.

User avatar
ZedLeg
Posts: 2799
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by ZedLeg »

Oh yeah, that's bad service. I just have beef with the expectations that Amazon have given some people. The amount of times we have people put an order in at 8pm then complain because it's not going to be delivered next day :lol:
An absolute unit

User avatar
Jobbo
Posts: 3389
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Jobbo »

Not surprising that Amazon started its own logistics business, really.

User avatar
Swervin_Mervin
Posts: 2251
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Just had this today myself. Paid extra for a 1hr slot when I ordered yesterday - std delivery is next day no specific time. Get an e-mail this morning telling me it's delayed. I'll have my extra delivery charges back then please.

Don't offer something if you can't commit to it. It's like companies listing something as in stock, but then it magically being out of stock once hte order's placed.

User avatar
Jobbo
Posts: 3389
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Jobbo »

I was expecting some desks and other stuff for the office to be delivered yesterday. It's just over 2 weeks since I ordered it. It's office furniture from an office furniture supplier being delivered to an office. When they called on Tuesday I made it very clear that delivery had to be during office hours.

Yesterday the delivery driver called and informed me we were last deliver on his manifest, between 7.30 and 8.00pm. He had a note that delivery needed to be between 9.00am and 5.30pm but the manifest wasn't his doing and he couldn't alter it. I now have no idea when delivery will be because I told him not to waste his journey to arrive at an empty locked business park at 7.30pm.

It seems quite standard that office stuff is slower than buying from Amazon, and delivery pricier but the quid pro quo is it's going to be delivered to business premises during working hours. Utterly useless.

V8Granite
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Next day delivery

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:08 pm
I was expecting some desks and other stuff for the office to be delivered yesterday. It's just over 2 weeks since I ordered it. It's office furniture from an office furniture supplier being delivered to an office. When they called on Tuesday I made it very clear that delivery had to be during office hours.

Yesterday the delivery driver called and informed me we were last deliver on his manifest, between 7.30 and 8.00pm. He had a note that delivery needed to be between 9.00am and 5.30pm but the manifest wasn't his doing and he couldn't alter it. I now have no idea when delivery will be because I told him not to waste his journey to arrive at an empty locked business park at 7.30pm.

It seems quite standard that office stuff is slower than buying from Amazon, and delivery pricier but the quid pro quo is it's going to be delivered to business premises during working hours. Utterly useless.
Had this very thing 3 weeks ago. I was so annoyed with how shit they were that I ended up driving from Bridgnorth to Derby to collect 2 desks, 2 chairs and a big cupboard from a second hand office seller as he seemed to actually engage with me and work for the business.

Dave!

User avatar
Ascender
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Ascender »

Yeah, trying to ship anything over the size of a large sized dog seems to add another whole level of confusion and complexity to the process.

I've cancelled my Wiggle order and gone to Amazon. I'll get the chain tomorrow and the desk by next Wednesday.

User avatar
Jobbo
Posts: 3389
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:12 pm
Jobbo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:08 pm
I was expecting some desks and other stuff for the office to be delivered yesterday. It's just over 2 weeks since I ordered it. It's office furniture from an office furniture supplier being delivered to an office. When they called on Tuesday I made it very clear that delivery had to be during office hours.

Yesterday the delivery driver called and informed me we were last deliver on his manifest, between 7.30 and 8.00pm. He had a note that delivery needed to be between 9.00am and 5.30pm but the manifest wasn't his doing and he couldn't alter it. I now have no idea when delivery will be because I told him not to waste his journey to arrive at an empty locked business park at 7.30pm.

It seems quite standard that office stuff is slower than buying from Amazon, and delivery pricier but the quid pro quo is it's going to be delivered to business premises during working hours. Utterly useless.
Had this very thing 3 weeks ago. I was so annoyed with how shit they were that I ended up driving from Bridgnorth to Derby to collect 2 desks, 2 chairs and a big cupboard from a second hand office seller as he seemed to actually engage with me and work for the business.

Dave!
If I had access to a van, I'd do exactly that. There seem to be plenty of sellers of nice used office furniture around Walsall, for some reason, and that's dead easy to get to from the office.

User avatar
DeskJockey
Posts: 1685
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Next day delivery

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 pm
V8Granite wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:12 pm
Jobbo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:08 pm
I was expecting some desks and other stuff for the office to be delivered yesterday. It's just over 2 weeks since I ordered it. It's office furniture from an office furniture supplier being delivered to an office. When they called on Tuesday I made it very clear that delivery had to be during office hours.

Yesterday the delivery driver called and informed me we were last deliver on his manifest, between 7.30 and 8.00pm. He had a note that delivery needed to be between 9.00am and 5.30pm but the manifest wasn't his doing and he couldn't alter it. I now have no idea when delivery will be because I told him not to waste his journey to arrive at an empty locked business park at 7.30pm.

It seems quite standard that office stuff is slower than buying from Amazon, and delivery pricier but the quid pro quo is it's going to be delivered to business premises during working hours. Utterly useless.
Had this very thing 3 weeks ago. I was so annoyed with how shit they were that I ended up driving from Bridgnorth to Derby to collect 2 desks, 2 chairs and a big cupboard from a second hand office seller as he seemed to actually engage with me and work for the business.

Dave!
If I had access to a van, I'd do exactly that. There seem to be plenty of sellers of nice used office furniture around Walsall, for some reason, and that's dead easy to get to from the office.
I sense an excuse for buying a range rover with a towbar and a big trailer...
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away

V8Granite
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Next day delivery

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:47 pm
Jobbo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 pm
V8Granite wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:12 pm


Had this very thing 3 weeks ago. I was so annoyed with how shit they were that I ended up driving from Bridgnorth to Derby to collect 2 desks, 2 chairs and a big cupboard from a second hand office seller as he seemed to actually engage with me and work for the business.

Dave!
If I had access to a van, I'd do exactly that. There seem to be plenty of sellers of nice used office furniture around Walsall, for some reason, and that's dead easy to get to from the office.
I sense a logical and reasoned need for buying a range rover with a towbar and a big trailer...
I’ve just edited your post for what you really meant.

Dave!

User avatar
DeskJockey
Posts: 1685
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Next day delivery

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:02 am
DeskJockey wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:47 pm
Jobbo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 pm
If I had access to a van, I'd do exactly that. There seem to be plenty of sellers of nice used office furniture around Walsall, for some reason, and that's dead easy to get to from the office.
I sense a logical and reasoned need for buying a range rover with a towbar and a big trailer...
I’ve just edited your post for what you really meant.

Dave!
Thank you. That's very kind.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away

User avatar
Mito Man
Posts: 4850
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Mito Man »

It is worth getting a trailer if you have a suitable tow car and the space for it. Once you get one you wonder how you lived for so long without it.
How about not having a sig at all?

V8Granite
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Next day delivery

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:28 am
It is worth getting a trailer if you have a suitable tow car and the space for it. Once you get one you wonder how you lived for so long without it.
Oh so much this.

I can’t understand how anyone who does any work themselves can survive without being able to take a sheet of 8x4 home.

I’d love either a trailer or a Unimog for bigger stuff.

Dave!

User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 5015
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:30 am
Mito Man wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:28 am
It is worth getting a trailer if you have a suitable tow car and the space for it. Once you get one you wonder how you lived for so long without it.
Oh so much this.

I can’t understand how anyone who does any work themselves can survive without being able to take a sheet of 8x4 home.
A trailer - for 8x4?!

Image

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 2689
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Simon »

^^ :)
The artist formerly known as _Who_

V8Granite
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Next day delivery

Post by V8Granite »

Mine also go on the roof rack but when you’ve got 12 boards that’s a fair bit of weight up top.

Plus we are trying to spend someone’s money for them.

Jobbo, will you be going for the TDV8 or will the 6 be ok ?

Dave!

User avatar
Jobbo
Posts: 3389
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Jobbo »

My CLS has a tow bar, but I’m not buying a trailer.

User avatar
Gavin
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Re: Next day delivery

Post by Gavin »

Rich B wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 am
V8Granite wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:30 am
Mito Man wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:28 am
It is worth getting a trailer if you have a suitable tow car and the space for it. Once you get one you wonder how you lived for so long without it.
Oh so much this.

I can’t understand how anyone who does any work themselves can survive without being able to take a sheet of 8x4 home.
A trailer - for 8x4?!

Image
I know you are not in fact the Hoff but I pictured you as younger than the man in this picture?

Post Reply