Mental Health

dinny_g

Re: Mental Health

Post by dinny_g »

Good luck Zed - I’m helping my other half through similar at the moment.

Have you been prescribed SSRI’s. The first 10 days are pretty bad but it changes overnight and then you’re gravy!

Good luck
Last edited by dinny_g on Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve been on Sertraline for about a year. It was really helpful for a while but I think I need to up my dosage.

I’m holding off until my psych appointment though, don’t want to up my dosage then have to ween off if they decide to change my medication.
An absolute unit
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:07 pm Aye, I started before. Got on medication, stopped drinking and started going to a CBT therapist. Decided I’d done enough and sacked off the CBT while still being shitty in other ways.

Need to really show that I’m serious about getting better now.
All the best Zed sounds like you have a lot to deal with.

The last thing I want to do is come across preachy, but are you exercising? I detest running but have to do it because unfortunately it really does help with my depression and anxiety :|
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Unfortunate.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

speedingfine wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:09 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:07 pm Aye, I started before. Got on medication, stopped drinking and started going to a CBT therapist. Decided I’d done enough and sacked off the CBT while still being shitty in other ways.

Need to really show that I’m serious about getting better now.
All the best Zed sounds like you have a lot to deal with.

The last thing I want to do is come across preachy, but are you exercising? I detest running but have to do it because unfortunately it really does help with my depression and anxiety :|
I’ve been slacking on exercise recently, my mountain bike hasn’t been used for most of the year.

Started weight training at the gym again and I’ve got a new bike for town so hopefully that’ll encourage me to get out more.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Exercise is key. Good eating and not getting stressed.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That’s the thing, outwardly I manage stress very well. I’ve learned to not show that my anxiety is screaming on the inside :lol:
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:13 pm That’s the thing, outwardly I manage stress very well. I’ve learned to not show that my anxiety is screaming on the inside :lol:
Haven’t we all, and there in lies the problem. We’re all our own worst enemies
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I’ve been feeling a lack of exercise in the past couple of weeks. Weather was crap so I didn’t ride and then about 10 days ago my sinus infection flared up (been carrying it since I had something, possibly covid in February) an it made me feel really ill, feeling better today though and hopefully my first ride in 3 weeks tomorrow evening, then I’m going to start looking at the gym again for winter. It’s definitely made my mental health suffer though, feeling low, tired and miserable. Been dead busy today with general jobs and had a good walk with the dog this evening. Plan for tomorrow evening is finish work about 5, sort the Subaru and then see if I can get 15 miles in, I’ll keep it up then with hopefully a ride 4 times a week until the weather beats me.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Today's nagging thought that just won't go away; I caught a mouse earlier, took it to the hedgerow over the way and released it. It was a tiny baby mouse, eyes open and finding its way/moving about ok, but very small. I can't help thinking I've been a cruel cvnt and taken it to its death. I don't wish them any harm, I just don't want them in the house. I'm not a vegan so fire away Zed & Gavster with calling me a hypocrite. It probably didn't help that before I'd thought it I'd addressed it with "hey there, little mouse".

The mind never stops, like it or not. Write that down.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Once you realise dead stuff stops other stuff from dying then seeing animals die is ok. It doesn’t mean it’s a nice thing to see but it is how everything survives.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, there was a good thread on twitter from Jeff Vandermeer recently. He found a dead armadillo on his land and set up a trail cam on it. Showed the variety of life that made use of the body while it was decomposing.

I would say that if you want to get rid of mice you’re better to try and figure out where they’re coming in and seal the hole rather than catch and release.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Hey, I'm not vegan :lol:

Nobody wants mice in their home, they poop all over the place, climb up things and eat their way through your food. You took it to a safe place that's a natural habitat for it and aren't responsible for it's life from that point onwards. Now go and stuff wire wool or expanding foam into all the holes in your house where they were getting in. Having dealt with them in the past, you'll probably find more unless you take preventative action.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I put an Elephant Hawk Moth outside last week and had similar feelings...

It was a beautiful think but it just sat on the patio wall for ages. A while later, it was gone and I've told myself it flew off rather than getting nabbed by some bird... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:22 am Once you realise dead stuff stops other stuff from dying then seeing animals die is ok. It doesn’t mean it’s a nice thing to see but it is how everything survives.

Dave!

Have had a couple of fairly big skulls in the garden, not sure what they were from, and they weren't in once piece to help an amateur like me identify them. The circle of life indeed. I haven't thought twice when it was an adult mouse, I think it's bugging me this time because it was a little 'ne that probably/possibly hasn't developed survival skills. I haven't seen a sign of them about the house, only the actual animal. Caught the little 'ne by hand so it's nice to know my dulled reflexes aren't completely shot. Haven't got bird feeders or owt to tempt them into the garden but they're inquisitive feckers so that doesn't mean they'll stay away either. At the mo' they're probably getting in through doors and windows left open because weather.

@Gavster I should have said food quality/standards/ethics for you, apologies.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:27 am I put an Elephant Hawk Moth outside last week and had similar feelings...

It was a beautiful think but it just sat on the patio wall for ages. A while later, it was gone and I've told myself it flew off rather than getting nabbed by some bird... :lol:
I was woken by one of those a few years back. When it bumped into things, it sounded like such a solid, destructive force that I wanted it out before it broke something. I turned off the light, opened the window wide, and it flew out, so easier for me. I don't know if a cat would go for one, they'd probably be too much "wtf is that?!".
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

They're amazing things really - they don't look like they belong in Newport Pagnell... :lol:

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Ah, memory bad, I don't remember so much red/pink, though it might look less when at rest with folded wings. I remember it was a hawk moth and a big unit, "elephant" sounded like it fit the bill. I've been reading about hawk moths in general again (I might have a pic of the one I saw to help id it, where though I've not a clue), and of the privet hawk moth I saw "One way to find their caterpillars is to look for their unusually-shaped droppings beneath likely feeding spots. They are small are dark, and said to resemble hand grenades.". Nature crazy.

It probably thought the same of you in Newport Pagnell...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The elephant hawk moth caterpillars look like snakes…

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I've seen the top pic before but not the bottom one :o
I got out for a bit earlier, saw a couple of cygnets doing well on a pond/lake where there's no sign of a nest and the freshwater got diluted by sea water earlier in the year. I know swans can live on both, but with no sign of a nest anywhere I'm amazed they've had little 'nes there. Happy for them, they've been settled there for the past few years.