UK decent rental cars experience

Broccers

UK decent rental cars experience

Post by Broccers »

I know Sixt do premium cars and a lucky dip on this - to borrow one for 8 days is 200 quid.

It got me thinking is it worth having a practical car or better to borrow one when you need it or a van?
mik

Re: UK decent rental cars experience

Post by mik »

The problem is that you can’t always plan when you need a practical car.

However - it is quite surprising how often you don’t need much practicality - and how much you can fit into something that isn’t considered practical. :)
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Yes that is the problem. Bought a massive new telly the other day and it just fitted in the golf but I guess you can get delivery for nowt these days.

We were in cornwall last month and got 6 in it too, not something a sports car could achieve :lol:

But for the days I am working at home its just sat there doing not much, a bit like me working :lol: :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nope, we had a few like for like hire cars when our ML was in getting work done. It was Enterprise luxury or something and there was a problem with each of them. They were based in a Cambridge.

FFRR, we couldn’t find a parking space in Cambridge for this and we ended up getting a space and then a taxi to where we were going :roll:

A GLE (I think, the ML coupe thing) horrible ride, kids felt ill in it and the wife hated the crap visibility. Also this randomly seemed to brake but I’ve no idea if this is the norm or it was broken. That was a 350cdi.

ML 350cdi, horrible ride again and never seemed to settle down.

ML250 cdi, horrible engine but was impressive on fuel.

The biggest issue with them all was we were not allowed the dog in there. The cleaning penalty was very high if they thought you had done it. Also we had to wait around on all but the RR which arrived when it should have.

I hate being reliant on anyone but me or the wife so having to plan around other people doing what you pay them to do is not stress free. Plus you really need full damage waivers etc as they tried to scam us twice. Luckily we always take a video when we get them.

Each car has a role in our house and the TT is cost neutral due to the cheaper running costs and reduced mileage on the ML.

All we hire is a box van but normally we just hire a big trailer.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I mentioned this on another thread but Mercedes Benz Financial Services in the US are doing a new type of "Mobility" solution - you pay a fixed monthly fee and you select your vehicles - Small Compact for your weekly commute, Convertible for the weekend, SUV for your holidays.

I'm guessing it must just be on a pilot basis as I have no idea how they plan to meet with supply if it becomes popular but it is the way of the future. MBFS is now called Daimler Mobility Solutions so they're taking it all very seriously.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Wasn’t/isn’t Porsche doing something similar?

I couldn’t rent a car for the odd occasion as I’m usually needing to use one every day. I could give it all up but that would make my quality of life pretty shit - being tied to public transport and renting.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I am not suggesting having a zero car household to clarify :D

My thinking was sparked by watching this yesterday
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm trying it the other way round, boring practical car for daily duties and I'll hire something interesting if the opportunity arises to need one.

Chucking a hire barge round Scotland actually appeals, if £200/8 days is for reals.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It seems to be a choice of a 420 grancoupe or S Class or V6 F type - you would have to pay me to drive the first one, the second one would just be inconvenient and the last one would get irritating after the 10th fart.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

An -20d is an every day car, not a worthy fun hire car!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:24 pm It seems to be a choice of a 420 grancoupe or S Class or V6 F type - you would have to pay me to drive the first one, the second one would just be inconvenient and the last one would get irritating after the 10th fart.
You can switch the exhaust into quiet no fart mode. It’s the boot which would get me, or the ride.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Before we got the Stepwgn it made more sense for us to just have one car and I rented a few times a year from the local Sixt. Would book cheapest Corsa or equivalent at £30-35 a day - only once got a Corsa, usually C4, Cactus, Astra, Focus, something like that. Often a Caddy van would be about the same price and I'd get that if I was carrying bikes about.

Sixt branch has closed now so would have to go a bit further to rent stuff, plus as the kids are older there's more times when we both need a car at the same time.

Definitely worth considering if it's convenient and you need the practicality less than once a month though.