Driving on the roads

Broccers

Driving on the roads

Post by Broccers »

Do you still enjoy it?

From being a kid all I wanted was to pass my test and get a car. I loved driving - it really was brill.

Just been down to Cornwall and back in the last week and I fucking hated every minute driving. Whats the point in having a car that does double plus the speed limit when theres too much traffic and cameras? My parents came back on friday (kids hols) and took them 10 hours - we used to do it in 4.5 in a 950 fiesta. :lol:

Anyway I guess on a country road its different but the motorways just not what they were.

Or is it me?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Driving on the roads

Post by Rich B »

It’s you. I still love driving.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:37 am It’s you. I still love driving.
How can you love driving living in Londarn? :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:38 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:37 am It’s you. I still love driving.
How can you love driving living in Londarn? :lol:
i don’t live in London - I live in Berkshire.

Though tbh, I do quite enjoy driving in london outside rush hour.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'm with Rich on this one. Excluding the M25, I don't really care about the road or location, I enjoy the mechanics of driving, controlling the car, feeling the responses to my input.

And as the Galaxy couldn't do double the NSL even if dropped from a cliff, that's enough for me.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Maybe its my boring Golf thats the issue? :lol:

Honestly tho Rich the roads aren't what they were years ago.On the M5 yesterday there was 5 miles of average speed cameras (50) with no fucking roadworks - they had signs up warning you the cameras were working 'to reduce congestion'. Wankers.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I still get pleasure out of driving on the roads sometimes. 40 miles on Saturday using the back roads to find which were flooded was great; I only had to find an alternative route once, here, and most of the route was pretty free of traffic.

It's noticeable how much more traffic there is now than when we used to regularly organise meets though. I've only rarely seen any other vehicles when green laning, so that's more where I get my pleasure these days. That's what I thought this thread was going to be about from the title, Broccers :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Broccers wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:58 am On the M5 yesterday there was 5 miles of average speed cameras (50) with no fucking roadworks
5 miles - is that all ?

You've had it easy
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

It's part of why I sold the Elise. No matter where I went there was always traffic. Endless traffic lights, speed bumps, juntions on junctions. Trying to find a clear bit of road just felt like an impossibility. I'm just not that motivated enough to spend 3 hours getting to the arse-end of nowhere at 5am just to get a clear stretch. At least the Evora does the daily grind as well.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Most my driving is during hours when most people are sleeping so that works out well :lol:

Funnily enough if I’m driving in the countryside during busy hours I’ll take the Defender as that’s fun even when doing 30 mph.

FWIW you can do 70 on the M20 average speed cameras. The M25 is easy too, just look to the left of the gantry, if you see the cameras brake and blast between them.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:38 pm That's what I thought this thread was going to be about from the title, Broccers :lol:
Bless ya. I might get something shit and slow next and wont be frustrated it actually physically cant travel any faster :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I worked out a whole nice country roads route between Edinburgh and Glasgow when the put the average speed cameras along the M8 but most of the time I just use the motorway if I'm driving. I'm never in that much of a rush and as long as I miss the Edinburgh bypass at rush hour the traffic is fine.

I still like to drive, I don't drive very often anymore though.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

We're up in your parts just before Xmas and I have to say its less traumatic the further north you go.

Maybe they think noone can afford the fines :lol: :lol: :lol: (joke)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I still do a lot of driving and enjoy most of it TBH. I am fortunate to live in rural N.Yorkshire where driving pleasure can still be found so I can't grumble. After some more tedious driving I can dash off all over the place and enjoy my car, the road & the experience.

Going to Jockland quite a bit over the next few weeks and some of that should be fun.
mik

Post by mik »

I still very much enjoy it, but I have easy access to decent roads. I doubt I’d have my current car as my only car if I lived dahn sarf.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

When I was a rep I did 30k a year no bother at all. It deffo isnt the same now.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Definitely busier, but when you find yourself on that quiet stretch it's great, if fleeting.

I have never got any joy out of motorways, and most of the time I can't even be bothered to travel above the speed limit anymore as it just makes it more frustrating.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

6 hours door-to-door from Cornwall to home on Saturday. Torrential rain all the way with several aquaplane moments; my knuckles have only just regained some signs of pink-ness. More generally I don't mind driving and find it more enjoyable in slow cars than fast.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:05 pm 6 hours door-to-door from Cornwall to home on Saturday. Torrential rain all the way with several aquaplane moments; my knuckles have only just regained some signs of pink-ness. More generally I don't mind driving and find it more enjoyable in slow cars than fast.
You hit the shit M5 too then ?

Going back to shit slow cars we took the ds3 115bhp down in 2013 and I got done at 97mph outside birmingham circa 630am by a patrol car.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Definitely, it’s why you need an everyday car you get enjoyment from.

I mainly drive my Defender as it keeps you busy and is a giggle below the speed limit.

I’d say the only difference now compared to 10 years ago is the fast long drives. I used to be able to sit at high speed for hours on end but needing to look 1km ahead for camera vans, speed guns makes me feel like my concentration is in the wrong place.

The only thing which will make move away from pleasure driving is if I’m forced into an electric car, they do nothing at all for me. I like the mechanical connection and all that it entails.

Dave!