Driving on the roads

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Driving on the roads

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:05 pm 6 hours door-to-door from Cornwall to home on Saturday. Torrential rain all the way with several aquaplane moments; my knuckles have only just regained some signs of pink-ness. More generally I don't mind driving and find it more enjoyable in slow cars than fast.
7hrs door to door for us yesterday, with 2 stops, which isn't too bad from the furthest end of Cornwall. It's all fine 'til you hit hit the M5, then the cr4p lane discipline starts. And then you hit the midlands and all the total cvnts come out to play in the roadworks. Some truly Jedi-level d1ck driving yesterday from some.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Must have been 3 weeks ago when it took me 5 hours to get from Central London to just entering the M25, stopped off at Clacket Lane services for an unplanned dinner to relieve my throbbing headache!

A couple of years ago I dropped my dad off at Heathrow airport and the following 16 miles back to my flat also took 5 hours. He called me to tell me that he was in his hotel room whilst I was still 2 miles from home...
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Scotland, Race Tracks and Lotus are the correct answers.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I live in the Borders which has any number of awesome roads but despite the Bongo being RWD it really isn't great for tail out fun and the Volvo is pleasant enough but hardly scintillating or the last word in light weight roadster.

A trip to my folks up near Elgin used to great fun and I honestly looked forward to them 35 odd years ago, I once did the 200 mile trip in 3 hours (9pm to midnight) but that was pre-camera. The bit from Aviemore over Dava is still fun, even in the Bongo but I would happily set a destination in a fully auto car and read a book or enjoy the scenery for the most part.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

It's what motorbikes are for, mostly because they can get through traffic and blast past dawdlers in ways that cars can't.

All I want from an everyday car these days is electric drive, enough range, comfy seats and a decent stereo.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Yes true but you cant take stuff with you like your mrs who hates them :lol:

No, instead you get to listen to Maajid Nawaz on LBC bleating his one sided views for hours as you dawdle along going nowhere fast :lol:
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:43 pm Definitely, it’s why you need an everyday car you get enjoyment from.

I mainly drive my Defender as it keeps you busy and is a giggle below the speed limit.

I’d say the only difference now compared to 10 years ago is the fast long drives. I used to be able to sit at high speed for hours on end but needing to look 1km ahead for camera vans, speed guns makes me feel like my concentration is in the wrong place.

The only thing which will make move away from pleasure driving is if I’m forced into an electric car, they do nothing at all for me. I like the mechanical connection and all that it entails.

Dave!

Same as Dave above - I still enjoy driving a lot - had my Sierra out over the weekend and for me personally it’s a lot of fun just to do a circuit of some local quiet roads.

Still love driving to Italy in the summer hols too - even in the BM it’s an event and I don’t choose the quickest route but go through the Alps instead

Must admit, like Dave, the thought of electric cars holds no excitement whatsoever - they’re something for the newer generation who don’t appreciate mechanical things
Barry

Post by Barry »

simon_g wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:27 pm It's what motorbikes are for, mostly because they can get through traffic and blast past dawdlers in ways that cars can't.

All I want from an everyday car these days is electric drive, enough range, comfy seats and a decent stereo.
This, and I've been putting the EV off long enough, had a chat with a dealer about a PCH today as it happens. Just deciding whether to take the annual cost of keeping the Civic alongside it now.

I still enjoy driving per se but most of the daily grind isn't the place to have fun anymore, so I figure I might as well get the easiest transport I can. EV is that.
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:01 pm

7hrs door to door for us yesterday, with 2 stops, which isn't too bad from the furthest end of Cornwall. It's all fine 'til you hit hit the M5, then the cr4p lane discipline starts. And then you hit the midlands and all the total cvnts come out to play in the roadworks. Some truly Jedi-level d1ck driving yesterday from some.

Maybe that’s why driving to Devon/Cornwall holds more pleasant memories for me - I get on/off the M5 southwest of Bristol - take the Wye Valley route back home bypassing the ‘Nam badlands
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Still love driving but we are blessed with some pretty great roads round here.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I think there is driving and traveling.

When I was a youth you could do 120mph thru France. Not now.

That's the subject really.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Oh really?
How about not having a sig at all?
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Broccers wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:53 pm
mr_jon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:05 pm 6 hours door-to-door from Cornwall to home on Saturday. Torrential rain all the way with several aquaplane moments; my knuckles have only just regained some signs of pink-ness. More generally I don't mind driving and find it more enjoyable in slow cars than fast.
You hit the shit M5 too then ?

Going back to shit slow cars we took the ds3 115bhp down in 2013 and I got done at 97mph outside birmingham circa 630am by a patrol car.
It was less busy cos of the biblically shit weather. We did cut across to the A46 at Leam' tho, as Google showed M5 shitness up ahead. It was worse for us when they had the roadworks at Bristol for bloody ages. Think it was 11 hour or similar that time.

I don't really speed on motorways any longer. The usual 'not being the fastest' mantra and cruise at 81-82 (real world 76/77) gives enough pace to make progress, imho. Getting properly old.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've definitely noticed an increase in number of people prepared to bimble along at 10-15mph under the speedlimit. An occasional one isn't too bad, but get two or three grouped together and you can almost give up the chance of clearing them and end up adding to the queue behind them.
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:07 pm I've definitely noticed an increase in number of people prepared to bimble along at 10-15mph under the speedlimit. An occasional one isn't too bad, but get two or three grouped together and you can almost give up the chance of clearing them and end up adding to the queue behind them.
It's because overtaking is dangerous, so we should all form a road train. Choo Choo.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:26 pm Getting properly old.
Yes that seems to have happened to me too :lol:
John

Post by John »

We've gone back to travelling through the night when visiting Cornwall, much less stressful although you do have the night only roadworks.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

John wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am We've gone back to travelling through the night when visiting Cornwall, much less stressful although you do have the night only roadworks.
I love the place but it's becoming a massive chore. Flying from Donny is an option tho :D
John

Post by John »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:03 am

I love the place but it's becoming a massive chore. Flying from Donny is an option tho :D
I've flown Newquay-Gatwick, 40 minute flight and quite a scenic route along the south coast as it barely gets above 25000ft.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

John wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:19 am
Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:03 am

I've flown Newquay-Gatwick, 40 minute flight and quite a scenic route along the south coast as it barely gets above 25000ft.
Sounds ideal!

We actually stayed at Weston Super Mare on the way down as didnt set off till 6pm. Full of old biddies :lol: