Model 3

Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Model 3

Post by Mr Pish »

My 3 years with the GLA45 passed very quickly. AMG did a superb job with the set-up giving 99% of the performance of its smaller sibling but making it far more civilised for daily use for my old bones. It was faultless apart from needing the updated gearbox to fix the reverse gear selection problem common to many variants of the face lifted A45. Apparently mine was one of only a handful that had spec'd the expensive LSD and had race mode.

Over the years I have developed an irrational hatred of petrol stations and burning £80 every 6 work days. As well as dealers always looking for new ways to gouge customers. 'we can't use your oil, only what we supply' 'yes those filters used to be included in the service price but now they are an additional cost', charging for 'inspection services' and the general M/AMG/RS tax such as charging £1400 for discs and rotors when indies will fit OEM parts for £700. I don't mind paying a reasonable premium for main dealer convenience but 100% is taking the biscuit IMO.

So at the start of the summer I test drove an iPace and a model 3. The iPace looks fantastic IMO has carplay and I really liked the interior, it was competent to drive but never engaged me, the brake pedal thou was just horrific. The initial brake pressure does not engage the brakes making it very hard to judge braking and a jerky ride for passengers. The brakes along with the very high price put me off.

The model 3 I test drove was just a basic RWD version but from the start it felt fun, the turn in was so good almost cart like and that instant explosive torque made the AMG fell like an antique. After arriving home and still smiling I placed a deposit. I was fortunate in my timing as this was after they dropped the price of the performance to 49k and included the upgraded suspension, brakes and 20" wheels but before they raised it again.

So last week I picked it up a blue model 3 performance with black interior and apart from some minor paint defects they are going to correct its been great. In sport mode the acceleration is nuts, by the time I selected race mode in the GLA45, the gear box kicked down and the turbo's spooled up it would have put 40+mph on it. In chill mode acceleration is very well balanced for daily driving. And once i get my smart meter installed it will only cost me 1.45p a mile in leccy :D

Oh and what insane person would give me mod rights to anything lol
Last edited by Mr Pish on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Model 3

Post by Jobbo »

What's the range like in reality?
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:20 pm What's the range like in reality?
on the way home in sport I only got 1 mile for 1% of battery but I was 'running it in' and everything else on the road was pretty much a stationary chicane. It would be super easy to lose your licence.

Over my commute this week I have used 31 kWh over 106.5 miles but traffic in London has been bad this week with an awful lot of rain so that's with lights, wipers and windscreen demisting. I have also not been driving conservatively, using the torque to make gaps / pull out and 70-80 down the M Way traffic permitting.

I reckon 2 charges a week should suffice to give me plenty of emergency capacity.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

In old money, how many miles to a tank!? lol
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Good to see you’ve joined the noddy car club Eric :P
How about not having a sig at all?
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Carlos wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:01 pm In old money, how many miles to a tank!? lol
I would say 250-260 from 100% charge
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:04 pm Good to see you’ve joined the noddy car club Eric :P
my humility has no lows ...

I actually like the smooth sweeping lines of the model 3 and S, modern cars are far to fussy / over designed for my liking. Oh and this giant front grill fashion ... yuck, the new A45 looks awful.

after having 2 cars with black pack chrome delete and black (mostly) rims its a nice change to have some silver highlights against the blue

mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Looks great, would love one.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

You getting a home charger?

Still love the idea of it, but like most it's still the infrastructure that concerns me.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Interesting. Be good to see how you get on with it. What's your electricity rate? I've been assuming 12p/kWh when comparing electric cars to petrol.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Matty wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:35 pm You getting a home charger?

Still love the idea of it, but like most it's still the infrastructure that concerns me.
i have a rolec one

http://www.rolecserv.com/ev-charging/pr ... rge-Points

work keep promising no user cost chargers under a grant they are entitled to

The tesla charging infrastructure is there biggest strength, i have no doubt i could travel around the EU with only a little planning

and we still have the OH's sportage or thou she is dragging me down to VW at the weekend to put a grand down on the ID Buzz
Last edited by Mr Pish on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

JonMad wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:48 pm Interesting. Be good to see how you get on with it. What's your electricity rate? I've been assuming 12p/kWh when comparing electric cars to petrol.
i think i am on 15p however i am moving over to octopus energy EV which gives you 4 hours at 5p per kWh per night

https://octopus.energy/blog/ev-tariffs/

The plan is to charge Tue night for 4 hours then fill up fri/sat/sun night
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's not the infrastructure that worries me but the build quality*. Paint issues on a new car? There are some horror stories on the PH thread about ownership experiences with the S, so I'll be interested to see how you get on.

*Then again the 197 I had (the only new car I've owned) spent enough time at the dealership...
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:35 pm You getting a home charger?

If you try to charge a decent range electric car from a 13A plug, it will take more than overnight to do the job. The faster the charger you have at home, the better, I'd say.

Jon, I have an Economy 7 meter at home which is irritating because I don't use overnight electricity much, but the night time rate is 8.13p/kWh plus 5% VAT, total 9.76p/kWh. So 20% cheaper than your figures. If you filled a Model 3 up to capacity (74kWh) that would be just over £7.20, which would take you at least 200 miles = 3.6p/mile.

ETA: that's with Bulb, day rate is 14.98p/kWh and standing charge is 19.47p/day, both plus 5% VAT.
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:17 pm It's not the infrastructure that worries me but the build quality*. Paint issues on a new car? There are some horror stories on the PH thread about ownership experiences with the S, so I'll be interested to see how you get on.

*Then again the 197 I had (the only new car I've owned) spent enough time at the dealership...
i went into open minded, and any car can have major problems from new as seen by my first RS3 and my A45
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:19 pm
Jon, I have an Economy 7 meter at home which is irritating because I don't use overnight electricity much, but the night time rate is 8.13p/kWh plus 5% VAT, total 9.76p/kWh. So 20% cheaper than your figures. If you filled a Model 3 up to capacity (74kWh) that would be just over £7.20, which would take you at least 200 miles = 3.6p/mile.

ETA: that's with Bulb, day rate is 14.98p/kWh and standing charge is 19.47p/day, both plus 5% VAT.
I did look at economy 7 but it seamed to be a bit of a ball ache, you just need a smart meter to get octopus 5p rate.

half tempted to get a power wall and charge that overnight at 5p as well

what ever the rate is its all peanuts compared to the AMG doing low 20s on v power at £1.45+ in london

octopus is 100% renewable as well so the car really is zero emission

my car is showing 290 Wh/mi over the last 100 miles
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Just reading Autocar's long term test of their Audi E-Tron. That has a 95kWh battery and whoever has custody of it has fitted a wall box at home which is capable of 3kW. That's basically the same power as a 13A plug, so it would take 28hrs to recharge fully from empty :lol: The E-Tron will charge at 150kW from an appropriate source; apparently Ionity chargers are 350kW so they can charge at whatever rate the car will take. 60% charge added in 22 mins on the Audi (for £8) is more like it.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:19 pm
If you try to charge a decent range electric car from a 13A plug, it will take more than overnight to do the job. The faster the charger you have at home, the better, I'd say.
I frequently forget to plug my mobile in overnight to charge....with my shitty memory I'd end up never getting to work "Sorry boss, forgot to plug the car in again...."
Barry

Post by Barry »

Work colleague got his a couple weeks back, he loves it. He's got the Performance model, big battery, twin motor etc.
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

looks like arnold clark have sold my ex car

odd they listed it as a 16 and not a 66 and its also a premium, or the 4k LSD option with race mode

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/m ... bi-u-60593