Model 3

RobYob

Re: Model 3

Post by RobYob »

I find the whole over the air upgrade thing fascinating, being in the automotive industry a 5% increase in power "ad-hoc" would usually have durability teams in consternation and probably VDC/ESC suppliers with their hands out for a chunk of cash to "recalibrate".

Tesla appear to dgaf about either which is refreshing.
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

Free charging

Join us, join the Teslarati!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

That was pretty entertaining.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just read that it’s been tested as sub 3 seconds to 60 now so there must be other improvements to the software as 25 bhp can’t do that alone can it :lol:
Absolutely crazy how much traction they can get from those skinny tyres.
Sub 3 seconds on a 4 door saloon is batshit crazy.
How about not having a sig at all?
_andy

Post by _andy »

I hope everyone's notified their insurance of this change.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

_andy wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:02 pm I hope everyone's notified their insurance of this change.
That would make for some intriguing conversations with UK insurers.

Ins co.: Does the car remain as it left the factory?

Owner: No

Ins co.: What have you modified on the vehicle?

Owner: Nothing.

Ins co.: ...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Many of the manufacturers are being less than truthful, see the BMWs which have 100bhp more than what is being quoted.
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

One of the guys on PH works with the insurance regulatory thing (read the thread) they said if the cars to manufacturers spec you don’t need to inform the ins company even if they change it
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:37 pm Many of the manufacturers are being less than truthful, see the BMWs which have 100bhp more than what is being quoted.
I always assumed that they reported the min power running on the worst fuel likely at high altitude, there was a big class action against Honda I think a few years back for over reporting engine power
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

One foot driving works really well in London, a great update.

It defiantly feels quicker / more squirty, downside is my power consumption is up 30KW/m from using it.
_andy

Post by _andy »

Mr Pish wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:51 pm One of the guys on PH works with the insurance regulatory thing (read the thread) they said if the cars to manufacturers spec you don’t need to inform the ins company even if they change it
I'd imagine that applies to the spec of cars when they were new, not backdating updates in new models to existing ones, for example if you took your M2 into BMW for a service and they remapped it with the M2 Competition map (40bhp increase, ignoring the slight difference in engine architecture). I'm just playing devils advocate here, and I doubt 5% can be felt anyway, however insurance companies are cnuts, and Tesla doesn't strike me as having the greatest business processes in place, which leaves us some potential for a clusterfuck.
Beany

Post by Beany »

_andy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:11 am
Mr Pish wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:51 pm One of the guys on PH works with the insurance regulatory thing (read the thread) they said if the cars to manufacturers spec you don’t need to inform the ins company even if they change it
I'd imagine that applies to the spec of cars when they were new, not backdating updates in new models to existing ones, for example if you took your M2 into BMW for a service and they remapped it with the M2 Competition map (40bhp increase, ignoring the slight difference in engine architecture). I'm just playing devils advocate here, and I doubt 5% can be felt anyway, however insurance companies are cnuts, and Tesla doesn't strike me as having the greatest business processes in place, which leaves us some potential for a clusterfuck.
But that would be mapping it to the spec of an M2 Competition.

If they recalled all M2s and remapped them for 'emissions purposes' and that happened to give the increased power/torque similar to the M2C, but it was still a regular M2 and all M2s going forward were to be mapped like that, then the car would still be to manufacturer specification.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The most hassle free way would be to insure with Direct Line as they’re the official Tesla insurer and know that the car keeps getting updates. That said their prices are quite a lot higher than competitors despite them giving Tesla owners a “discount” so who will bother...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Mr Pish wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:47 am One foot driving works really well in London, a great update.
I was pretty skeptical of this feature on the new Leaf. Took me about 15min of driving to think "yep, this is good".
Apart from the obvious risk of forgetting where the hell the brake pedal is when you need it!
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:47 pm The most hassle free way would be to insure with Direct Line as they’re the official Tesla insurer and know that the car keeps getting updates. That said their prices are quite a lot higher than competitors despite them giving Tesla owners a “discount” so who will bother...
They quoted me £580, LV where £390 (£250 excess, PNCB, legal, C Car etc.) The merc was £460 as a reference.
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

next update in pipeline already

deep neural network trained wipers, that's one for the options list lol