2020 LR Defender

Orange Cola

Re: 2020 LR Defender

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:52 pm
mik wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:44 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:29 pm?
The reliability
If that’s the thing they’ve really worked on, it’s not the first road tests which will demonstrate it. I don’t remember JLR products ever being accused of unreliability in their launch road tests. It’s over time that issues arise, like with Ingenium diesel DPFs.
The infotainment always gets pulled up in the first reviews, the Defender has a completely new system which has been reviewed at places such as CES (I think) and it’s a big step up on the last system. I get fed up with journos reviewing LR products, I’ve yet to see a generic SUV get slated for its off road performance compared to a LR but I’m forever reading how a LR isn’t as good on road as another generic SUV which completely ignores a set of LR USP’s.

Not aware of the DPF issues, unless it’s them needing to regenerate frequently?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

They don’t regenerate when they should, clogging up without warning and immobilising their car. Seems more if an XF issue so far.

JLR products without exception get an easy ride in the press, so a bit of criticism of outdated infotainment is perfectly reasonable.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Saw one undisguised with all the lifestyle accessories attached in Solihull.

Looks bland in real life
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just seen this on twitter which is the first picture I’ve seen of the new one alongside the old one. It’s just really ordinary vs the old one. Narrow glass, wider body, even wider arches, really inboard tyres. Kinda like a normal SUV with quirky lights.
No bad thing necessarily, it’s just not a Defender is it? It’s a whole new car after all and they’ve just decided to carry on using the name.

How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

To be a proper utilitarian vehicle it needed to have solid axles.

I’ve no idea how that can be put through safety tests nowadays ?

To be a proper Defender it needed the ability to chop and change things, it needed a ladder chassis and it can’t have that along with a unibody, it would weigh silly amounts which is no good if you want to put a cherry picker on the back.

I don’t know how the 79series etc get away with it unless they are only sold in very specific markets ?

My favourite overlander chap Andrew St Pierre White has bags of experience and his overview of the new Defender is spot on imo. A lack of a 16” wheel really hurts it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=utZRGNCeZFM

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Interesting analysis - cheers Dave. 8-)

Did anyone really think the new Defender would be capable of converting to a 6wd fire tender, mobile crane etc? :?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mik wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:52 pm Interesting analysis - cheers Dave. 8-)

Did anyone really think the new Defender would be capable of converting to a 6wd fire tender, mobile crane etc? :?
I don’t think so no, if that was truly what people wanted them for I think they would have tried to keep the old one for sale for longer than they did. I’m sure it would be possible but I doubt they would sell a huge amount.

The old Defender I love died with the TD5 imo.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:26 am To be a proper utilitarian vehicle it needed to have solid axles.

I’ve no idea how that can be put through safety tests nowadays ?

To be a proper Defender it needed the ability to chop and change things, it needed a ladder chassis and it can’t have that along with a unibody, it would weigh silly amounts which is no good if you want to put a cherry picker on the back.

I don’t know how the 79series etc get away with it unless they are only sold in very specific markets ?

My favourite overlander chap Andrew St Pierre White has bags of experience and his overview of the new Defender is spot on imo. A lack of a 16” wheel really hurts it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=utZRGNCeZFM

Dave!
I was just thinking about how you would go about modifying one, after all that was a key criteria for the old one. It’s all plastic bumpers and a monocoque so you can’t just bolt things on directly to a chassis as such like the old one or a Jeep/pick up/G wagon/Jimny.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:58 am
well that’s not a flattering angle is it.
mik

Post by mik »

I’m not seeing what is disappointing about it in that pic compared to earlier shots?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I think the main difference to me is that all the studio shots had the rear lights looking a lot more defined and cooler. The two little ones in the arches look shit there.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Also it looked more more squared off in the studio pic, like the old one or a Wrangler, or G Wagon. The real one is too rounded off. Like I say it feels like a normal SUV with quirky lights now
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]Rich B[/mention] oh yeah - hadn’t noticed that
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Not great - the vertical black bars hiding the main rear light cluster make it look overly narrow.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I still think it looks great. Look forward to seeing one in the metal.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:44 pm I still think it looks great. Look forward to seeing one in the metal.
I've had a good poke round one and after initially hating it I've gone from trying to justify a purchase of a second hand one a few years down the line...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's a pastiche that just doesn't work. They'd have been better off forgetting trying to keep any visual nods to the original imo.
mik

Post by mik »

mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Not the best time to launch a car is it. At least everyone will be at home to see the video :lol: