2020 LR Defender

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: 2020 LR Defender

Post by JonMad »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:20 am Evo test....

https://www.evo.co.uk/land-rover/defend ... ssion=true
They like it then.
Smaller than a Disco 5 for a 7 seater?
Left over crest; tightens.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I thought new car designs were supposed to grow on you?

The more I see of it the worse I think it looks :?
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They do after a few decades ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:08 pm I thought new car designs were supposed to grow on you?

Interesting. I think it looks brilliant. When the world calms down I’m going to have a proper look.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

So now the reviews are coming out does that mean OC can finally tell us about his design work?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:08 pm I thought new car designs were supposed to grow on you?

Same here. It also manages the very JLR trick of looking old quickly, though I’m not sure they’ve managed to achieve that before the first customer deliveries previously.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I quite like it with exception of the rear. That looks bloody awful. It looks tall and narrow plus the lights look far too fussy.
evostick

Post by evostick »

I don't want one.

Think I'd rather have a RR tbh and I don't particularly want one of those either.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

as capable on road as it is off it
Good to see they’re fully compliant with the Road Test of 4x4s Act (1986) by including the mandated phrase.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I enjoyed the Carfectipn review. I’m glad they don’t seem to have turned it into too much of an suv, which is what I thought when I first saw it.

I could see me having one at some point.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I see customers are now getting deliveries of their 110s. They seem to be incredibly practical inside with lots of hard-wearing surfaces, grippy rubber, more power points than you can shake a stick at...

On first look though, the 110 looks too big/long.. I think the 90 has perfect proportions and I'm playing with the configurator daily which is a bad sign...
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I saw one last night but sadly it was a Khan dealer one and it had already been ruined with horrible wheels, and tat applied all over so I couldn’t really judge.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 am I see customers are now getting deliveries of their 110s. They seem to be incredibly practical inside with lots of hard-wearing surfaces, grippy rubber, more power points than you can shake a stick at...

On first look though, the 110 looks too big/long.. I think the 90 has perfect proportions and I'm playing with the configurator daily which is a bad sign...
I’d go and have a look at one if you can. The power sockets are part of a pack, for example, and I’ve found a base spec Defender is a great starting point with not a great deal else required on top. It annoys me people say “who would pay £70k for a Defender?” but that’s with everything loaded onto it which no one will need.

My perfect spec is:
White steel wheels (std)
Blue (option)
White roof (option)
Off road pack (differential mainly) (option)
Everything heated pack (windscreen, seats, mirrors, steering wheel) (option)
Tow bar
Not the base seats (there’s no lumbar support in them, fine for anything short of an hour but you really feel it on a long journey)

Out of that lot I don’t actually need the off road pack, the tow bar or the colour scheme :lol:

No idea on wheelbase :lol:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
mik

Post by mik »

I admit I’ve idly fiddled with the configurator too, but can’t resist plugging the V6 Into a 110 or selecting bigger wheels as opposed to steels...
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

mik wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:53 am I admit I’ve idly fiddled with the configurator too, but can’t resist plugging the V6 Into a 110 or selecting bigger wheels as opposed to steels...
I hope there’s no V6...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

They really are king of the options lists! I added £10k to the base without really ticking very much!

I liked the universal lift and load system for storing your roof box up in the ceiling in your garage. Actually not that expensive at £123. Except I have the done the same with two cheap ratchet straps.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:46 am Not the base seats (there’s no lumbar support in them, fine for anything short of an hour but you really feel it on a long journey)
I'll have another look at the configurator, but I thought the seat options were just the trim?

Having baulked initially at the matte wrap which you can get on the green, I now think that would be worth having if you take it green-laning. Ever since deciding to get PPF on my Jimny :lol:

ETA: had a further play on the configurator. Going for the base spec doesn't seem to allow you to get lumbar support so you have to choose the S and downgrade the wheels to steels to get that.

Metallic paint being £815 then a further £815 to paint the roof white adds a lot to the base price; frugal choice would be white (£0.00) with the black pack (£315). I'm not sure how much it needs the electronic diff, too; is it a proper locking diff which is electronically controlled? Is there any real advantage over relying on the traction control systems, since it doesn't have three lockers?
Last edited by Jobbo on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:27 am
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:46 am Not the base seats (there’s no lumbar support in them, fine for anything short of an hour but you really feel it on a long journey)
I'll have another look at the configurator, but I thought the seat options were just the trim?

Having baulked initially at the matte wrap which you can get on the green, I now think that would be worth having if you take it green-laning. Ever since deciding to get PPF on my Jimny :lol:
There are options for more adjustable sections and to move from manual to electric adjustment as well as the finish to the seat. The base seats design has no lumbar whatsoever, let alone adjustable lumbar support. I felt like I wanted to put a cushion between my back and the seat :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 am I think the 90 has perfect proportions...
+1 on that. You also get rid of the "square of pointlessness" on the side which is a must.

Weirdly I also think it needs the non-body colour wheel arches to look right and I never thought I'd say that about any car :shock:

This would be my spec. £55k though... https://build.landrover/10C76BB9
Last edited by GG. on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:46 am
Ascender wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 am I think the 90 has perfect proportions...
+1 on that. You also get rid of the "square of pointlessness" on the side which is a must.

Weirdly I also think it needs the non-body colour wheel arches to look right and I never thought I'd say that about any car :shock:
The 90 is the same length as the old 110, apparently :lol: I agree it looks way better than the long new 110.

The wheelarch extensions are just plastic lumps; on the configurator they look better but in the flesh I really don't think they're necessary because the wheelarches all have plastic lips around them like the Defender Sport, Evoque etc.