Tiger Z100 gear changers

mik

Tiger Z100 gear changers

Post by mik »

TThis popped up on my choob feed and reminded me that Tiger gave you independent gearshift controls for each engine. I am struggling to think of any scenario where I’d want one engine to be in a different gear to the other :? So wondering why they didn’t just fuse them into one changer?

Unless you want to run the engine powering the front wheels “one gear up” in order to create a rear-biased torque split? (Very crude way to achieve that if so).

Or is it just so you can run it on a single engine if the other freaks out? :?:

NotoriousREV

Re: Tiger Z100 gear changers

Post by NotoriousREV »

And now you can just buy a 911 Turbo S and beat that time whilst listening to the radio, in air conditioned, leather upholstered luxury, knowing the warranty will cover any issues 😂
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Yeah it’s outdated.

But that wasn’t my question.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:54 pm Yeah it’s outdated.

But that wasn’t my question.
It’s so you can drive it home after Tiffany Dell has put a rod through your block. HTH.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I think back in the day you weren't allowed to drive on the road with two engines, seem to remember various old max power cars used to be able to be run singly for the same reason.

Not sure whether it was ever real fact or just rumour, but assume it's been changed now we have hybrids and multiple electric motor powered cars.

The time isn't that impressive these days really, but wonder what it would have done with a few more attempts and some modern properly grippy semi slicks.
Cheers, Harry
scotta

Post by scotta »

running different ratios in the box could act as a torque fill. so one engine is still pulling when you change gear. A DCT box would overcome that nowadays.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Sounds like a recipe for overrevving and destroying one of the engines tbh.

In fact, I'd put a quid on the split shifter being the reason why one of the engines ended the day with a nice window into the crankcase 😂
Cheers, Harry
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

A bit off topic, but I remember seeing that car running at (what I think was) the Motorsport Show in Birmingham many years ago.

It was ridiculously quick looking.

You know that thing where if a car looks fast, it's actually stupidly fast?

Well, that.

There was an outside area where they were demoing all sorts of cars doing emergency starts and this made everything else look really slow and pedestrian.

It leapt off the line as if hooked up to that mythical elastic band, attached to the horizon.

And it seemed to do it all day, without missing a beat.

I remember being very impressed.
scotta

Post by scotta »

DaveE wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:47 pm A bit off topic, but I remember seeing that car running at (what I think was) the Motorsport Show in Birmingham many years ago.

It was ridiculously quick looking.

You know that thing where if a car looks fast, it's actually stupidly fast?

Well, that.

There was an outside area where they were demoing all sorts of cars doing emergency starts and this made everything else look really slow and pedestrian.

It leapt off the line as if hooked up to that mythical elastic band, attached to the horizon.

And it seemed to do it all day, without missing a beat.

I remember being very impressed.
I remember seeing Group B Rallycross at Knockhill a few years back. Those were QUICK!
mik

Post by mik »

Snap. When you could get much closer to the grid on the inner “island”. Was awesome. 8-)