BMW B58 engine teardown

User avatar
McSwede
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 pm

BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by McSwede » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Interesting video pinched from a babybmw post about the B58 lump that's in many BMW's and the new Supra. I found it rather interesting.

Last edited by McSwede on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mik
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine breakdown

Post by mik » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm

If it’s brand new I am surprised they’ve suffered a breakdown.

User avatar
McSwede
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine breakdown

Post by McSwede » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 pm

mik wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm
If it’s brand new I am surprised they’ve suffered a breakdown.
Edited for the benefit of Mik. 😂😂

User avatar
scotta
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine breakdown

Post by scotta » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm

McSwede wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 pm
mik wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm
If it’s brand new I am surprised they’ve suffered a breakdown.
Edited for the benefit of Morons. 😂😂
EFA

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4962
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine breakdown

Post by NotoriousREV » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:11 pm

scotta wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm
McSwede wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 pm
mik wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm
If it’s brand new I am surprised they’ve suffered a breakdown.
Edited for the benefit of Morons. 😂😂
EFA
Po-tay-to, po-tah-to
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
dan
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by dan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Interesting stuff. Those rods are mad, the honda k20c rods are the same - they're literally pulled apart in manufacture.

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by Simon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 pm

dan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:51 pm
Interesting stuff. Those rods are mad, the honda k20c rods are the same - they're literally pulled apart in manufacture.
Ford's /(Mazda's) Duratec is the same. They 'snap' the end of the rod off during assembly in a big 'snip'.
The artist formerly known as _Who_

User avatar
Foz
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by Foz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Nice video that, it’s a great engine, crazy how it’s now a dinosaur with the electric bandwagon!

V8Granite
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by V8Granite » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Simon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 pm
dan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:51 pm
Interesting stuff. Those rods are mad, the honda k20c rods are the same - they're literally pulled apart in manufacture.
Ford's /(Mazda's) Duratec is the same. They 'snap' the end of the rod off during assembly in a big 'snip'.
It’s quite ridiculous how good the bearing pinch is when assembled. Perkins have had it for quite a while, I think it was to prevent fretting as the contact patch is more “grippy”.

Dave!

User avatar
dan
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by dan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 pm

V8Granite wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:50 pm
Simon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 pm
dan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:51 pm
Interesting stuff. Those rods are mad, the honda k20c rods are the same - they're literally pulled apart in manufacture.
Ford's /(Mazda's) Duratec is the same. They 'snap' the end of the rod off during assembly in a big 'snip'.
It’s quite ridiculous how good the bearing pinch is when assembled. Perkins have had it for quite a while, I think it was to prevent fretting as the contact patch is more “grippy”.

Dave!
I think its to make them cheaper to manufacture as it negates the need for dowels. I've never seen a rod without dowels and i've never seen one fret either. Clever though all the same.

RobYob
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by RobYob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Cool video.

Interesting details, damn there's a lot of plastic on that engine! Suprised they didn't go a plastic sump.

Integrated headers is a bit weird, they add a stack of load into the cooling system and also rob the exhaust gases of heat pre turbine. Maybe someone who knows modern engines better than me can explain that one (other than it being cheaper of course)

Chunky crank brace.

What looks like active engine mounts, bit of a weird one, I'd have thought an I6 engine in a sports car really wouldn't warrant them although maybe they're just part of a standard BMW engine pack so the use them coz they're there.

1000hp though. That plastic intake manifold probably won't like it and neither would those headers at which point things get very very expensive.

User avatar
Swervin_Mervin
Posts: 1257
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by Swervin_Mervin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 pm

Great vid but is it just me that thinks it would have been better if he'd just slowed the fvxk down with his talking? I had to rewind a couple of times to see wtf he was talking about!

Nathan
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Given how BMWs go through thermostats, that is going to be a bugger in a few years

User avatar
JLv3.0
Posts: 4784
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:42 am

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by JLv3.0 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:05 pm

Swervin_Mervin wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 pm
Great vid but is it just me that thinks it would have been better if he'd just slowed the fvxk down with his talking? I had to rewind a couple of times to see wtf he was talking about!
It's free content Mike, you can't really grumble about it. Fwiw Mr Papadakis is one of my go-to channels. Put it on 0.75x if it offends so much :lol:

User avatar
Swervin_Mervin
Posts: 1257
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by Swervin_Mervin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 pm

JLv3.0 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:05 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 pm
Great vid but is it just me that thinks it would have been better if he'd just slowed the fvxk down with his talking? I had to rewind a couple of times to see wtf he was talking about!
It's free content Mike, you can't really grumble about it. Fwiw Mr Papadakis is one of my go-to channels. Put it on 0.75x if it offends so much :lol:
Say what?! :lol: Anyway, doesn't offend me in the slightest - just felt like I was watching it at 1.25x.

User avatar
JLv3.0
Posts: 4784
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:42 am

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by JLv3.0 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 pm

0.75x FTW then :lol:

Next :D

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by Simon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:05 am

JLv3.0 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 pm
0.75x FTW then :lol:

Next :D
Mike's out of luck. If it feels like watching it at 1.25x then to get to 1x he'd need to watch it at 0.8x which isn't an option on YT...
The artist formerly known as _Who_

User avatar
Jobbo
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by Jobbo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:02 am

That was fascinating. Haven’t seen a modern engine taken apart before. The simplicity of the bolt-on modules, effectively, is a joy to see.

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4962
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by NotoriousREV » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am

RobYob wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:36 pm
Cool video.

Interesting details, damn there's a lot of plastic on that engine! Suprised they didn't go a plastic sump.
The sump probably adds a little more rigidity along with the crank girdle
Integrated headers is a bit weird, they add a stack of load into the cooling system and also rob the exhaust gases of heat pre turbine. Maybe someone who knows modern engines better than me can explain that one (other than it being cheaper of course)
Does seem potentially restrictive and not easy to port. I wonder if cooling the gases increases density and maintains velocity through smaller ports t drive better response from the turbo? I also suspect it's about keeping heat in the combustion chamber for better energy transfer, or something. You've already got more energy in the exhaust than you can actually use to drive the turbo anyway.
1000hp though. That plastic intake manifold probably won't like it and neither would those headers at which point things get very very expensive.
I know the aftermarket composite intakes on the LS motors can take big boost, but not sure if they can take enough to make 1000hp. 750 is definitely doable, though.

The lifter retainers were first used on the LS motors, too, IIRC. You can change an LS cam without pulling the lifters out (same on the Gen III Hemi, too).
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
ZedLeg
Posts: 1689
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: BMW B58 engine teardown

Post by ZedLeg » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:14 am

I was fairly surprised the first time I saw someone take an LS intake manifold apart.

It looks like someone had a bad day in the B&Q plumbing dept :lol:.
An absolute unit

Post Reply