CTIIRWOIWAHO

Jimmy Choo

Re: CTIIRWOIWAHO

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gulia Veloce are down to low 20's....

Aftermarket warranties are £50 per month...
Banal Vapid Platitudes
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Carlos wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 pm I still wince at the thought of Harry breaking that 200 BRM, cracking little cars 8-)
Mine was knackered.

The roof was so rusty I'm surprised the boot lid didn't fall off every time it was opened, and it sat with a couple of inches of water in it most of the time. Really wasn't worth saving, but I'm still quite fond of them and the silliness of it. Seem to be pretty pricey these days :shock:
Cheers, Harry
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Have been feeling a mild nostalgia for my old Jag lately, aided and abetted by seeing an S-type R in the car park with a fettled exhaust that was making truly terrific V8 noises a few times in the last month.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/used ... ying-guide

Good dynamics, great engine, Jag comfort, slightly shonky brakes. The evo long-termer had electrical reliability problems as I recall but that is probably a part of the Jag spirit.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (333.76 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
Styling seems better than I remember it but a lot of late 90s/early 00s cars seem to be doing that to me lately.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

A ‘63’ Merc
A Caterham 7
Left over crest; tightens.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:15 pm Gulia Veloce are down to low 20's....

Aftermarket warranties are £50 per month...
QF's are dropping into the high 30's now warranties are running out.

That being said, I've seen some bills people have had sorted under warranty, and...ouch. Not cheap I've noticed a few people have either hit the active splitter, or the actuators have broken, and thats over £2k. Might wanna be careful of those low curbs when parking.

Veloce with QF wheels (or the Ti), lowering springs to take the edge off the height and the PP pack to get the LSD, throw a remap on top to get 320bhp and I think that's the best compromise. It's also next on my list after the Evora is gone.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I've been looking, for AGES, now for something to replace the Pug 308 with, finally we're between a C30 T5, a Countryman Cooper S or a Phase 2 S60 T5/6.

It's such a ball ache finding a new car sometimes, this thread provides many new ideas :lol:

I quite fancy a Lexus LS460h tbh.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Oooh oooh oooh...

I keep checking the prices of XF R’s and XK’s, occasionally see where F-Type V6 & V8’s have got down to, I just fancy a big V8 Jag and think they just appeal. F-Types slightly less so due to the ride, and there’s the feeling of how horribly wrong it could end up with a big bill. I wish there was a current gen XE or XF with the V8 in badged as an R, that would have been a big pull from the recently bought F-Pace. V8 XJ’s appeal but from a comfortable everyday barge point of view rather than a toy, much like the others one mans depreciation is another mans gain, then I remember I have enough cars at the moment :oops:

I also keep looking at Elise prices, Fiesta ST’s but just because I miss my old one and it’s top drawer fun for not a lot of money. Then I keep an eye on V8 Mustangs because for an extra £10k I can supercharge one to 670bhp, but they’re not dropping in price to the ‘magic’ £15k I have in my mind to be able to say I spent less than £30k for silly horsepower :D

Other idle musings are Unimogs (and the other half wants one too), Land cruisers, Caterfields, TVR’s and anything with a 911 badge on it.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

So I’ve spent far too much time looking at Chrysler 300C Hemi estates. £4K gets a decent one and £6k gets a genuinely bolt-on Edelbrock supercharger kit for 550bhp (700 if you fit forged pistons and uprated rods plus a pulley change). The chassis is the same as used on the Dodge Charger and Challenger Hellcats (shortened in the case of the Challenger) so plenty of upgrades to the handling are available.

🤔
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:53 pm So I’ve spent far too much time looking at Chrysler 300C Hemi estates. £4K gets a decent one and £6k gets a genuinely bolt-on Edelbrock supercharger kit for 550bhp (700 if you fit forged pistons and uprated rods plus a pulley change). The chassis is the same as used on the Dodge Charger and Challenger Hellcats (shortened in the case of the Challenger) so plenty of upgrades to the handling are available.

🤔
exactly, rather than let a garage spend a butt load of your money and time putting a V8 in your 911, just get something with a V8 already in it and have fun bolting on fast bits yourself.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:53 pm So I’ve spent far too much time looking at Chrysler 300C Hemi estates. £4K gets a decent one and £6k gets a genuinely bolt-on Edelbrock supercharger kit for 550bhp (700 if you fit forged pistons and uprated rods plus a pulley change). The chassis is the same as used on the Dodge Charger and Challenger Hellcats (shortened in the case of the Challenger) so plenty of upgrades to the handling are available.

🤔
I might be wrong but isn’t that platform the same as the old S-class?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:25 am

🤔
I might be wrong but isn’t that platform the same as the old S-class?
It's the Chrysler LX platform, so not directly the same as any Merc platform but I believe the rear axle design is shared with the W211 E-Class. Lazy journos took this as "it's an old E-Class underneath".
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I got woken up at 5am by a thunderstorm and couldn't get back to sleep so I was mooching about on the internet and started reading about Bonneville Speedweek that starts this weekend. I read a couple of years back that there are currently either only 1 or even no living "200 MPH Club" members in the UK. To get into the 200 MPH club, you have to be the first person to set a 200mph+ record in a particular class.

The class system is massively complex, but I had a look through and there's a few classes that haven't had a 200mph record set yet, and the class that caught my eye was I/BGALT, for which the current record is 144.032mph set in 2016. I = 46 - 61.99 cubic inches (754cc - 1015cc), B = Blown (Supercharger or Turbo), G = gas (petrol rather than nitromethane etc.) ALT = Altered Coupe. This class doesn't allow any major streamlining other than removal of mirrors/radio antennas etc., all of which got me thinking: what would I build to get me that record?

I decided on using a Honda Insight ZE1 (the first one) because it has the best drag coefficient of any production car. I'd rip out the standard hybrid drivetrain and throw a Suzuki GSXR1000 engine in the back, plus a turbo. There's an off the shelf kit that will give 450bhp on an uprated engine (rods and pistons). Theoretically, with the right gearing, it could hit 212mph.
Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 08.31.15.png
Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 08.31.15.png (348.92 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
That's a screenshot from an old MS-DOS programme I use to model car acceleration. It's scarily accurate (i.e. feed it a production car spec and the numbers pop out very close to the magazine tested numbers).

Of course, this completely ignores the fact that I'm not sure how stable it would be at that speed and the fact I'd be asking a highly boosted motor spinning at 12000rpm to be happy with WOT for about 4 minutes.

If I had money, skill and the ability to see a project through, I'd be dangerous :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I saw a Whipple for the coyote for £2500 on facebook
Orange Cola wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:43 pmThen I keep an eye on V8 Mustangs because for an extra £10k I can supercharge one to 670bhp, but they’re not dropping in price to the ‘magic’ £15k I have in my mind to be able to say I spent less than £30k for silly horsepower :D

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

🤔
That's pretty tempting.

I wonder how easy it is to swap the Chrysler front end for the Dodge Magnum one. Make it look a bit less old man taxi.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 am

🤔
That's pretty tempting.

I wonder how easy it is to swap the Chrysler front end for the Dodge Magnum one. Make it look a bit less old man taxi.
Should bolt straight on. The US never got the 300C front end on the estate body. People are also fitting Charger front ends, too.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ah, that would be smart. Like a Mopar Stagea GT-R
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:31 am Ah, that would be smart. Like a Mopar Stagea GT-R
Yep!

Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yes, good. That's blown widebody Charger estate on the list of projects I'll never do now :lol:.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:14 am Yes, good. That's blown widebody Charger estate on the list of projects I'll never do now :lol:.
We might as well join forces and not build it together.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

who wears the vest ???
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…