Temporary Car Insurance

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Temporary Car Insurance

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavster's back in the UK and wants to borrow the Aston for a few days, the problem is he doesn't own a car right now and consequently doesn't have his own insurance. I asked my insurers to add him to my policy, but they declined because "He does not have a recent history of driving cars of this nature, and is therefore too high a risk".

Has anyone here had short-term insurance in this kind of situation ?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Temporary Car Insurance

Post by Jobbo »

Tried Dayinsure? There may well be others in the market by now.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Give him a compact or something.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:01 pm Tried Dayinsure?
Just tried the website, they don't even have list the Vantage as an option ! Confused.com refuses as soon as you enter the reg.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:05 pm Give him a compact or something.
I certainly could, and getting insurance on that wouldn't be a problem, but I don't think it would serve quite the same purpose in terms of making an impression ;)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:22 pm
I certainly could, and getting insurance on that wouldn't be a problem, but I don't think it would serve quite the same purpose in terms of making an impression ;)
Give him the compact,

Arrange fully comp third party cover on it.

Cross yer fingers ;)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:22 pm
Gavs a hippy eco warrior vegan now isn’t he? Surely a leather clad V8 is as far from the right impression as is possible? 😀
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

"You will never make an impression by driving someone else's car" - Abraham Lincoln, 2019
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

big_1471927536_1382490838_image.jpg
big_1471927536_1382490838_image.jpg (91.29 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I needed temporary car insurance recently but for a slightly different reason, the pick up date of my new car slipped back past my renewal date. I was advised by my reputable car insurance company to renew the insurance policy and cancel within the 14 day cooling off period.

Same trick might work for Gav, get him on his own insurance policy for it and get him to cancel before the cooling off period. You’ll need a good reason to cancel though, mine was ‘not a competitive quote’.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:10 pm I needed temporary car insurance recently but for a slightly different reason, the pick up date of my new car slipped back past my renewal date. I was advised by my reputable car insurance company to renew the insurance policy and cancel within the 14 day cooling off period.

Same trick might work for Gav, get him on his own insurance policy for it and get him to cancel before the cooling off period. You’ll need a good reason to cancel though, mine was ‘not a competitive quote’.
you can’t have two insurance policies on one car though.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:10 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:10 pm I needed temporary car insurance recently but for a slightly different reason, the pick up date of my new car slipped back past my renewal date. I was advised by my reputable car insurance company to renew the insurance policy and cancel within the 14 day cooling off period.

How does it work with day insure then?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:10 pm

How does it work with day insure then?
There’ll be specific products for insuring yourself on someone else’s car that has its own policy, but you wouldn’t be able to just take out a second normal policy then cancel it in the cooling off period - particularly if you weren’t the owner or registered keeper.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Why don’t you call a broker such as flux or manning and explain what you want. They would be best placed to sort it.