Schmeeeeeecrunch..

Simon

Re: Schmeeeeeecrunch..

Post by Simon »

Christ only knows how he'd respond if he had a genuine human tragedy in his life, like losing a loved one or having a life-changing accident.

What gets me is that he started his vid whilst still on the motorway before the truck and coppers had even pulled away, and then goes 'traffic side' just to give his viewers a look at his car. Like it can't wait 30 minutes till it's somewhere safer? Worried that the Twitter storm will have you judged and sentenced by a keenly eye'd motorist before you've got home?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

He does go on about it a bit, true, but at the same time, it’s still his car which has been damaged and he has a right to be pissed off about it. Yes he could have paid max attention to the blind spot and the truck and monitored its trajectory, blasting the horn when danger approached, but really? I’d like to see one of you lot being side-swiped by a lorry at 25mph whilst in your lane on the M25 and having anything other than a pissed off attitude afterwards. And if the truck driver isn’t switched on himself, all the horn blasting in the world may not make a difference.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I disagree Mark. He has every right to be pissed off. Furious even. But it's the over-dramatisation of it for clicks that draws the ire here.

3 years ago I was involved in a much bigger smash with a van driver and another car - Van driver was at fault and was sent on a 'driver improvement course' by the cops. The accident wrote off 3 vehicles, put a kid in hospital and closed the road for hours.

I was shaken and bruised, and I had the take half the next day off work to deal with the fallout (hire car, doctors, insurance company etc) and I didn't react half as badly as he did here.

If 'influencers' weren't so vain and insidious the rest of the time then maybe we would let it go, but when every aspect of car ownership has you post up a 10+ minute yawn-fest video, then pose in front of the car with a stupid expression for the thumbnail then sorry, your reaction to a minor scrape will be treated with the contempt it deserves.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

There's a difference between pissed off, which is valid, and being OMFG I'm like so traumatised for life click my next vid for seeing what colour searbelts I choose when it's repaired.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Simon wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 am I disagree Mark. He has every right to be pissed off. Furious even. But it's the over-dramatisation of it for clicks that draws the ire here.

3 years ago I was involved in a much bigger smash with a van driver and another car - Van driver was at fault and was sent on a 'driver improvement course' by the cops. The accident wrote off 3 vehicles, put a kid in hospital and closed the road for hours.

I was shaken and bruised, and I had the take half the next day off work to deal with the fallout (hire car, doctors, insurance company etc) and I didn't react half as badly as he did here.

If 'influencers' weren't so vain and insidious the rest of the time then maybe we would let it go, but when every aspect of car ownership has you post up a 10+ minute yawn-fest video, then pose in front of the car with a stupid expression for the thumbnail then sorry, your reaction to a minor scrape will be treated with the contempt it deserves.
Fkn spot on 👍🏼
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I thought everyone who had the slightest interest in driving knew that if you’re alongside a truck you make sure you can see the driver in his mirror until you can drive through the blind spot quickly?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Don’t disagree with the click bait-type complaints. As I said he went on too long IMHO. But the other angle is, he’s got over 1.7 million subscribers. His car-related life is documented to a level where it is his life. Yeah he bleated a bit but he arguably has to film it, has to upload it and has to make a small play of it. Because the hungry audience demand it.

Just saying that he may not be being deliberately cunty. He may now think he has no choice. Just a suggestion.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:53 am I thought everyone who had the slightest interest in driving knew that if you’re alongside a truck you make sure you can see the driver in his mirror until you can drive through the blind spot quickly?
Yes agreed. Personally I would always try to avoid being in that position through my own positioning compared to a truck I’m passing. Although if the truck comes up alongside you whilst you’re already at steady state, it becomes less straightforward.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:59 am Just saying that he may not be being deliberately cunty.
It’s Shmee, remember.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:05 am
ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:59 am Just saying that he may not be being deliberately cunty.
It’s Shmee, remember.
Yeah I know what you’re getting at. But what about just being a car enthusiast who loves his motors and spending his cash. And his pride and joy has been damaged. Don’t particularly care about how he’s perceived TBH, not on this occasion. Being even slightly damaged by a truck wouldn’t be pleasant. I know I wouldn’t like it.

And my vid review on that kind of incident would be 4 fucking hours. So cunt yourselves lucky.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:08 am
It’s Shmee, remember.
Yeah I know what you’re getting at. But what about just being a car enthusiast who loves his motors and spending his cash. And his pride and joy has been damaged. Don’t particularly care about how he’s perceived TBH, not on this occasion. Being even slightly damaged by a truck wouldn’t be pleasant. I know I wouldn’t like it.

And my vid review on that kind of incident would be 4 fucking hours. So cunt yourselves lucky.
You mean this months pride and joy.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:53 am I thought everyone who had the slightest interest in driving knew that if you’re alongside a truck you make sure you can see the driver in his mirror until you can drive through the blind spot quickly?
It’s not like almost every lorry has a sticker saying “if you can’t see my mirror I can’t see you...”

On my first ever driving lesson my instructor took me to a quiet residential street with a row cars parked on the side of the road and told me to stop in a stop beside one and look in my mirror. I couldn’t see one of them at all - then he explained how it’s the same on any dual carriageway or motorway and how it’s greatly exacerbated with lorries. It was a good lesson which has stuck with me.

Also I did mention on a really recent thread how I don’t like smart motorways when the speed displayed is 50 or less as usually you end up in an awkward situation where you’re being overtaken by a lorries who don’t GAF - in which case i’ll tag on to some slightly faster moving traffic in lane 3/4 to avoid this very situation.
How about not having a sig at all?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:14 am

It’s Shmee, remember.

Doesn’t alter the fact it’s his motor. The turnover just reflects his spending power. We’d all chop and change a lot more than we do if we could afford it.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:17 am

Doesn’t alter the fact it’s his motor. The turnover just reflects his spending power. We’d all chop and change a lot more than we do if we could afford it.
I’m not sure I could chop and change much more...
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:20 am
ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:17 am

I’m not sure I could chop and change much more...
Bloody hell I know I could :)

Current obsessions are:
DB11
Conti GT
F90 M5
Civic Type-R
RS4
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:59 am As I said he went on too long IMHO.
Blimey 😂
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:08 am So cunt yourselves lucky.
Very good 👍🏼
mik

Post by mik »

ShockDiamonds wrote: We’d all chop and change a lot more than we do if we could afford it.
Interesting. I dont think I would tbh - although i would buy a couple more of course.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

mik wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:37 am
ShockDiamonds wrote: We’d all chop and change a lot more than we do if we could afford it.
Interesting. I dont think I would tbh - although i would buy a couple more of course.
If I had space I'd buy more, if I had a garage I'd have something like a Westie etc.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

mik wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:37 am
Same here. Want what you have, etc.