FTAO tyre test lovers

mik

FTAO tyre test lovers

Post by mik »

Aussie based bloke on the Lotus forum posted this link. Includes a couple of budget ditchfinders.

CLIX
GG.

Re: FTAO tyre test lovers

Post by GG. »

Predictable winner!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Shame they didn’t include the R version of the Goodyear, it’d be interesting to see an independent test of the three varieties.

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22064/goodye ... port-range
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

Not answering your question exactly, but....

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Seems a bit daft sticking the two budget tyres against the high performance premium versions from high end manufacturers. Not very fair or balanced.

I expect there would be less of an obvious step if they'd used for example the normal pilot sport 4 and Michelin primacy and their more standard tyres.
Cheers, Harry
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

mik wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:00 pm Not answering your question exactly, but....

His videos are all excellent imo
Left over crest; tightens.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Tyre Reviews on YT is excellent, I do keep an eye on those.
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:22 pm Seems a bit daft sticking the two budget tyres against the high performance premium versions from high end manufacturers. Not very fair or balanced.

I expect there would be less of an obvious step if they'd used for example the normal pilot sport 4 and Michelin primacy and their more standard tyres.
I was thinking the same thing. Very strange. Could be size availability? I'd Google it, but like Ste I can't be bothered.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’d be amazed if those tyres are the same compound as the U.K. equivalents.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Matty wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:09 pm Tyre Reviews on YT is excellent, I do keep an eye on those.
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:22 pm Seems a bit daft sticking the two budget tyres against the high performance premium versions from high end manufacturers. Not very fair or balanced.

I was thinking the same thing. Very strange. Could be size availability? I'd Google it, but like Ste I can't be bothered.
I like it when they throw1 a ditchfinder into the mix. Two feels a little unnecessary, but its good to see what the extra spend buys you.
mik

Post by mik »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:06 am I’d be amazed if those tyres are the same compound as the U.K. equivalents.
Why? Its hard enough making different versions of thing because you have to - why woukd they choose to make regional varients? :?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:28 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:06 am I’d be amazed if those tyres are the same compound as the U.K. equivalents.
Why? Its hard enough making different versions of thing because you have to - why woukd they choose to make regional varients? :?
Changing a compound is relatively easy. The Australian climate is a lot warmer and dryer than ours, so probably need a harder compound. I know for a fact that the US version of some tyres are very different to the Euro versions (Goodyears with 50,000 mile warranties etc.)

They probably have a version for hot/dry climates and for temperate/wetter climates rather than country specific.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Hmm. Possibly.

There is a Michelin guy on the Lotus forum (who I am certain had a hand in me getting a cheque from them after my new MPSS blew out on me). I should ask him.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:46 am Hmm. Possibly.

There is a Michelin guy on the Lotus forum (who I am certain had a hand in me getting a cheque from them after my new MPSS blew out on me). I should ask him.
Go for it, I'd like to know, just because.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Question asked.
mik

Post by mik »

Question answered
-=-=-=-=

Hey Mik,

Actually, maybe some competitors do it, I do not know. On the Michelin side, we do not change the compound depending of World location. Some countries ask us to build the local market tires in their country. Therefor, the local plants have sometimes to work with local suppliers but they have to follow the official 'recipe' and quality standard. So no differences should be expected.

What happens also, we develop specific market tires. Like in Asia for example (with specific carcass, etc...) Adapted to the local road hazards that are not the same as in old Europe. But in this case, the tire has an other Marketing naming, so no chance of mistakes.

Hope it helps

Mr X
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Interesting stuff!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

This one is a bit more interesting. I have the new Goodyear F1 Supersport on the front of my M140i and they feel great. Just awaiting the rears being launched this month. Wet times in the video are extraordinary

McSwede

Post by McSwede »